The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 65 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

famous for Socratic method

Other

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

academic advisors available all the time, socratic method heavily used, classes are interactive. good balance of theory and black letter law.

every thing is cheap, and there are a ton og libraries and cafe's/

some diversity and public interest fellowships, but i idnt get them.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class sizes are relatively small which means that sometimes there are not enough courses offered and a really popular one can get crowded easily. But on the other hand you can always get whatever class you want it just might be in a larger room. The small seminar classes with prominent faculty are outstanding and sometimes as small as ten students to a professor. The faculty are some of the most brilliant in their field and are truly challenging and inspiring. The legal writing course is pretty terrible, but I don't know of any law school who has a good one. There is no study abroad which is unfortunate. There are many many research opportunities because of the student faculty ratio. I find the competitiveness is very low, because you know all of your fellow students so well it's hard to be competitive against anyone but yourself.

Chicago is a city and more expensive than most places, but incredibly cheap compared to cities of it's size (LA, NY, Boston, Miami). The campus is very beautiful but it is kind of removed from the rest of the city in Hyde Park which is both good and bad. The law building is very nice with lockers and a small cafe inside. The library is fantastic with computers and wireless throughout. Crime does happen around the neighborhood, but I have never had a problem (knock on wood) and I walk around at night without a problem but I do carry MACE just in case. If you are not lazy like me there are also Safe Ride buses you can call or police umbrella services available 24 hours. The neighborhood of the law school is definitely lacking but it only takes a 20 min bus to get to the heart of downtown Chicago, and the public transportation here is phenomenal. I think it is a very, very happy place to be even with the cold :)

LSAT and essays are very important. I think there was one optional essay. The scholarship and financial aid is sparse, but the school has one of the best loan forgiveness programs for those that are public interest bound ($10,000 forgiven per year worked in the public interest sector!) and other students can count on generous firm salaries to pay back loans quickly.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Students are competitive with themselves, but collegial with each other. Grades are not discussed to ensure this collegial environment. There is a focus on economics and theory, but we are all aware that we are also somewhat interested in practical learning. Grading is done on a curve. The class size is small, which is a huge advantage for job prospects, getting to know the faculty, and getting the full experience. Notable faculty include Baird, Geoffrey Stone, Nussbaum, Epstein, etc. Work load is no worse than other top ten schools, although we have a reputation for being more rigorous (which is great for employment prospects).

Many housing opportunities available, safe neighborhood plenty of police around.

Typical LSDAS application, no extra questions. Limited personal statement.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Most professors use the socratic method, which when properly executed, is far superior to any other method. Seminars are usually 10-20 students, and lecture classes range anywhere from 10 to around 120 for the main 1L classes.
Faculty is amazing and is what sets this school apart from its peers.
Grading system, in my opinion, is ideal. It identifies the very top students so that are good candidates for the most selective clerkships and similar positions, and it also protects/muddles everyone else so that employers can't distinguish, say, the 40th percentile from the 60th percentile.
Lots of great research opportunities. We were required to write two "substantial" research papers, which can be quite serious works if one so desires.

Lots of options, both private and University-affiliated, in the neighborhood. The neighborhood is both inexpensive and safe.

Typical process: essay, LSAT, etc. I was a borderline candidate, so I was asked to come in for an interview and write an additional essay on a given topic. I actually really enjoyed both the essay and the interview.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are excellent; they are prepared, enthusiastic, and interested.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of the classes are incredible, and the professors are giants in their fields. More importantly, however, the faculty are all inspiring and genuinely talented teachers. Almost every class uses intense socratic method, which is extremely fun!

Excellent.

Standard LSAC admissions process

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Pretty standard law school application done through LSAC

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Chicago is one of the few remaining law schools that does hardcore Socratic, in every single class. Most law schools have backed off or softened a little bit. Chicago is also very hardcore about grading; a strict curve, while other law schools (other T14 law schools) have been inflating and softening their grading curve. Our professors are world class, famous, brilliant, but also caring. We have amazing, prominent faculty. The class size is really small, which means a lot of attention for each individual student, and the bigelow legal research and writing program provides a lot of structure and guidance. Chicago does have a very competitive atmosphere though; students don't come here to screw around. In my class of 200, I don't know anyone who doesn't study hard every day.

Quality of life is awesome. Hyde Park is small but it's a classic college town. It's waaaaaaay safer than it was 5 years ago, and it's growing in size. It has a dozen or so restaurants, really nice cafes, and campus type hangouts (like bowling and bars). The best part is that you're 10-15 minutes downtown by public transportation and it's really convenient; downtown Chicago has everything.

Like most law school, admissions requires essays, high LSAT (people sometimes ridicule you at Chicago if you have below 170), high GPA from undergrad. You use LSDAS. They interview *some* but not all applicants, if they ask for an interview you have to give it.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Classes are great! Professors are interested in the material and often present novel ideas. Professors use the socratic often as a conversation facilitator, rarely as a punishment or shaming device. There's a heavy dose of theory but that's to be expected at the school that founded law and economics.

Hyde Park gets a bad rap. Crime exists but is uncommon. The community also has several nice restaurants for students trying to eat on the cheap.