The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (65 Student Reviews)

0 (1)

Date: 2011

famous for Socratic method

Other

Date: 2010

Some of the finest legal scholars in the world engage students with a good balance of theory and practice. Socratic method is the norm for first-year classes. The class size is on the smaller side, though first-year courses are, of course, quite large (about 90-100 students). The caliber of students is high, but the competitiveness inherent in a challenging system doesn't bar collaboration and socializing between the students. The faculty is unparalleled, and the opportunities are endless. The only thing lacking is time enough to take advantage of them all.

The neighborhood isn't great, but campus is nice. Interesting architecture, great libraries and facilities, wonderful gym, plenty of relatively affordable housing. Can't find a good burger of fries within 10 miles, but there are lots of hair salons. Crime and overall safety haven't been as bad as I expected, but the surrounding neighborhoods are rather notorious.

Comments

Pretty standard admissions process, except that it occurs on a later schedule than the other law schools.

Professors are fantastic

Date: 2010

Chicago is one of the few remaining law schools that does hardcore Socratic, in every single class. Most law schools have backed off or softened a little bit. Chicago is also very hardcore about grading; a strict curve, while other law schools (other T14 law schools) have been inflating and softening their grading curve. Our professors are world class, famous, brilliant, but also caring. We have amazing, prominent faculty. The class size is really small, which means a lot of attention for each individual student, and the bigelow legal research and writing program provides a lot of structure and guidance. Chicago does have a very competitive atmosphere though; students don't come here to screw around. In my class of 200, I don't know anyone who doesn't study hard every day.

Quality of life is awesome. Hyde Park is small but it's a classic college town. It's waaaaaaay safer than it was 5 years ago, and it's growing in size. It has a dozen or so restaurants, really nice cafes, and campus type hangouts (like bowling and bars). The best part is that you're 10-15 minutes downtown by public transportation and it's really convenient; downtown Chicago has everything.

Comments

Like most law school, admissions requires essays, high LSAT (people sometimes ridicule you at Chicago if you have below 170), high GPA from undergrad. You use LSDAS. They interview *some* but not all applicants, if they ask for an interview you have to give it.

Date: 2010

very theoretical. small class size. law and economics oriented. notable faculty.

Comments

just requires a personal statement, lsat score, and application

Date: 2010

Amazing faculty. Most professors have an open-door policy. The students are collegial and intellectual. The small class size makes it possible to know all of your classmates.

Date: 2010

UChicago is big on the Socratic method and the theory of the law. The professors are incredibly accessible-- their offices are in the library and they are constantly around for social events and lunch talks. The faculty are also incredible people-- Chicago seems to cultivate talent that other schools then try to poach-- unfortunately, sometimes successfully. But they are always replaced with emerging talent that will blow you away. The Bigelow Writing Program is a great way to have a mentor at the law school with practical experience.

Comments

The application process is pretty standard-- essays, LSATs, basic resume information. The school encourages you to apply for a merit scholarship opportunity after notice of admission.

Date: 2010

academic advisors available all the time, socratic method heavily used, classes are interactive. good balance of theory and black letter law.

every thing is cheap, and there are a ton og libraries and cafe's/

Comments

some diversity and public interest fellowships, but i idnt get them.

Date: 2010

The faculty uses a mixed style for academics.

The quality of life is solid overall.

Comments

LSAT, GPA, and Essay through the standard LSAC process.

Date: 2010

Quality of Classes: outstanding - professors are excellent, masters of the Socratic method, and easy to approach outside of class Quality of Classmates: great - hardworking and ambitious but not competitive (e.g. my friends have no problems sharing notes) Notable Faculty: Epstein, Nussbaum, Strauss, Levmore, Helmholtz, etc. Need I say more?

The neighborhood where the school is located (Hyde Park) is somewhat boring, and not the safest place at night (but safer than people imagine). However, downtown Chicago is a 15 minute public transportation commute, and is one of the greatest cities in the country.

Comments

Application through the LSAC, fairly standard, with personal statement, recommendations, and a list of extracurriculars.