business classes review

April 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

The school definitely has one of the strongest finance and real estate faculty member.

The faculty members are often time too busy to give sufficient attention to students

Comments

This is a well respected school, and although LA market is tough, there seems to be a lot of recruiting.

Exciting place

April 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

weather; resources to meet experts in every subject; recruiting opportunities by consulting firms. Housing is much better than USC.

High out-of-state tuition. Not enough research opportunity for master's student.

Comments

Worth coming, especially for the engineering, management, health-related majors.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Anderson is a very challenging school. Students have demanding and packed schedules through both years, and students are expected to carry their academic responsibilities alongside any extracurricular and employment related work as well. There are academic advising opportunities through tutors and professor makes themselves very available to all students, regardless of day of week or hour of the day and night. Coursework is a diverse mix of theory and practice in all fields from accounting to marketing to finance and business strategy. Regardless of material and quantitative versus qualitative load, students are expected to perform at the highest level in both group and individual exercises. The first year is survivable mostly because of the great environment amongst students...we teach each other and work together. Competition does not mean that we don't help one another to achieve excellence.

Cost of living in reasonable, even though Los Angeles is such a large and metrolpolitan city. Most students live near campus and social life is well balanced. The campus is one of the most beautiful in the nation and Westwood is a gorgeous small college town within greater LA. The Anderson library is nicest on campus; so nice, in fact, that most of the space has been restricted for only MBAs in order to keep undergraduates away. There many great dining options on and near campus, a great benefit to such a diverse area. The local Westwood community is a UCLA economy and relations and safety are excellent with police and university and locals. Overall, students are very happy living in Westwood, Brentwood, and even closer to the Pacific popular Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach.

Anderson places a high emphasis on well rounded students. Students have high GMAT scores, high undergraduate GPAs, and diverse backgrounds/experiences. One of my essay questions for Anderson asked about my hometown and how that helped to shape me. It was a unique question relative to other institutions, and it was something that I found challenging to think about yet exciting to write once I had a clear idea of how to approach the essay. This is symbolic of Anderson's approach to filling a class of talented individuals who can learn from one another's backgrounds and experiences.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Unmatched professors with respect to entrepreneurial studies (Cockrum), real estate (Sussman), and Finance (Roll). They are so accessible and really spend time relating concepts (new and old) in parlance that is easily understood by both experienced and inexperienced students. Truly amazing to sit and learn from these professors.

Absolutely unbeatable in terms of livability. I went to UPenn as an undergrad and while the school is great, the surrounding area left a lot to be desired. For me, Los Angeles is the perfect balance of climate coupled with accessibility to unparalleled career opportunity.

Audio and video samples are now used. Must have high GMAT and good undergrad GPA. Breadth and depth of experience is key, but the program does take several stellar post-undergrad students every year.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

We have a very rigorous core course workload, with five classes fall quarter, three in the winter quarter and two more spring quarter. It is very quantitatively focused, giving us the analytical skills we need for practical application. We have a mix of case study, lecture, group projects and homework assignments. In our second year we do a two quarter long practical application project (AMR) that applies all our skills from the core.

LA is somewhat expensive, but the area around UCLA is so amazing, it makes it worth it. I am active in triathlon, so having the beach right by me is so important for my hobbies.

We had to answer a series of essay questions, submit recommendations and GMAT scores before we were selected for an interview. The interview was typical for that of an MBA program--after the interview we were selected for the program.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Faculty and curriculum at UCLA Anderson are excellent. The balance of case and experiential learning provide exactly the type of curriculum I was seeking in business school. Faculty are extremely committed to students and provide a great deal of support. There is a high level collegial support throughout the program, despite a relatively higher level of academic rigor compared to other schools.

Overall, the culture and quality of life at and around UCLA Anderson are amazing. The school is located in a very nice part of Los Angeles and enjoys great weather throughout most of the year. On campus, everything is designed with the student in mind. From changing rooms to locker rooms to the student lounge to the group study areas in the library - everything is optimally located and built in a way to foster a comfortable and efficient experience. The library is especially impressive with multiple levels and full technology capability, enabling a great place to work independently or in a group setting.

As a top tier program, the selection process is very selective at UCLA Anderson. When I applied, UCLA was the only MBA program that required an audio response in addition to the essays. Additionally, I felt UCLA did a good job of trying to understand applicants and their true personality - for example, by asking a specific question about their experiences growing up and the impact that family/community has had on them.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The faculty is eager to work with students and their level of devotion makes it a joy to come to classes. The courses are a good mix of case work, theory, current events, and real-world experiences. The study abroad program is unparalleled at any other university, based on the sheer number of students that take advantage of the opportunity. Grading is done on a curve, which I expected to breed competition among my classmates, but it is by far the most collaborative environment I've ever experienced. The workload is intense, but students are upbeat and eager to tackle it.

The campus is gorgeous and the business school has the newest facilities on campus. Libraries, classrooms, and computer labs have brand technology throughout. We have a great relationship with the neighboring businesses and people are extremely happy to be here. The campus is one of the safest I've ever been on; violence and theft are non-existent.

The application question regarding entrepreneurship was very unique because it asked applicants to record their response in a 1-minute speech. Interviews were friendly, yet rigorous.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Very wide breadth of classes taught by top professors in their fields. Some courses are very specific and others give a more broad overview of first principles in a field. Professors and TAs are very helpful and available. The faculty is receptive to special projects or research interests. The Business Creation Option is a very popular option that many students choose to pursue their second year. In the fall of the second year about a third of the class studies abroad. Overall, good mix of theory and practice mixed with case studies and great professors.

Excellent facilities, beautiful campus, 5 minutes from the beach, 2 hours to snow. The library and computer labs have been expanded to allow for more group meetings complete with flat-screens that can be plugged into your laptop and white boards throughout. Wireless internet is always available anywhere on campus and food/coffee is steps away at Cafe Roma in the courtyard. The Westwood / Santa Monica area is one of the most fun places I have ever lived and I hope to stay.

Very in-depth process. Looking for well rounded people with exceptional abilities and experiences who know how to communicate. Interviews weigh heavily on the decision. Good fellowship opportunities if near the top of the applicant pool. Leadership experience is very helpful.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

- most courses are excellent
- academic advisors are readily available and accessible and encourage participation
- core class sizes are larger, but manageable and engaging; non-core class sizes as small as 12 students
- highly-competitive (particularly in core)
- focus on practical with appropriate balance of theoretical
- elective courses offered are tremendously diverse - fit any professional interest/field of study
- the case studies I have been exposed to thus far have been highly-insightful and educational
- all relevant databases accessible
- UCLA Anderson possesses some of the best academic talent in the world; many of the professors are extremely impressive
- study abroad available
- AMR project provides students with the opportunity to partner with a corporation in order to contract for consulting purposes
- workload is heavy and challenging

Rent nearby UCLA Anderson may be relatively pricey, but many cheaper options are available - mainly a function of the precise area one wishes to live in. UCLA Anderson is located just a few miles from the Los Angeles coastline and the surrounding area boasts a broad array of big-city benefits with a unique southern California vibe. The campus is probably the nicest I have seen, save for perhaps Harvard. The library is fully-equipped and designed to provide maximum natural-lighting. The area (West Los Angeles) is very safe and comfortable, and the entire experience is simply exciting and wonderful.

Admissions process is more in-depth and unique than other top business schools:
- From my experience, virtually all of the traditional "Top 10" school admissions processes are very similar (similar information, questions, protocol, etc.); however, I found the UCLA Anderson application to be much more detailed and unique than average. For example, there is a verbal component to the essay questions wherein the applicant must answer an essay question via recording one's own voice and submitting the statement electronically.

Other Factors:
- Median GMAT score is among highest in world at 712 (rivals/exceeds that of Harvard, Wharton, Booth, etc.)
- Undergrad GPA among highest in world at 3.6
- Interviews are held flexibly and the applicant has discretion over interviewing with 2nd year, faculty member, or alumni
- Scholarship opportunities are significant. I believe UCLA Anderson gives the highest per-capita scholarship/fellowship grants of any top domestic business school.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Top notch professors and a range of courses. The first year core is very rigorous and prepares you well for the wide breadth of options in the second year. Most courses are taught by the case method, but there are other options if you prefer lecture or discussion classes. The second year also includes an independent research project: Applied Management

Nothing beats LA in terms of an educational environment. Campus is beautiful. Easy access to many different outdoor options - beaches, mountains, wine country, skiing. Students tend to live in the Brentwood area which is nice because there is a good sense of community. Anderson campus has great resources from an amazing library to accessible computer lab, to great study areas and nice outdoor spaces.

Unique application questions, essays, interview, GMAT. I think they also have a video/audio component now.