School of Law
Los Angeles
University of California

4.6 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (28 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Academics are excellent here. The quality of the courses is generally great, and the professors are very accessible. There are great professors who are known experts in their fields. There are also extensive study abroad, externship, and clinic opportunities, which I highly recommend pursuing. The Socratic method is widely used in first-year courses and less so afterward.

The campus is beautiful and in Westwood. The law school is on the UCLA campus, and we have access to all the resources like the health center, the gym, the student center, and other recreational facilities. The library is nice and so is the moot courtroom. Students are really friendly and seem overall happy here.

Comments

It is a rather typical law school application, requiring recommendations, LSAT, transcript(s), and personal statement and diversity essays.

Interactive, unintimidating.

Date: 2011

The entire 1L class is split into sections of about 35 people each. Two 1L classes combine two sections, one class is with just your section, and Lawyering Skills (research and writing class) is about half of your section. The classes aren't strictly Socratic method, and my classes are competitive enough that I'm always making sure to keep up with everyone else, but the atmosphere here definitely isn't competitive between students. Everyone in my class is very supportive and helpful, and we are frequently in study groups. I think our grading curve is just about in the middle (not too forgiving, but not too harsh either) The academic advising here is fantastic. Tons of faculty to help out with tons of resources.

Cost of living is similar to other big cities, but you can do it for cheap. For on campus housing right now, I'm paying $1100. I plan on paying $675 next year for housing that's a 1 minute drive south. Anything close to campus will be very expensive and probably surrounded by undergrads. The UCLA housing is very nice and I highly recommend living in Weyburn Terrace your 1L year if you like to be more social. We have a lot of fun here though, many people go out 2-3 times a week even during the more busy points in the semester. I feel very safe walking around campus, even at night. Westwood (where UCLA is) is very isolated from the more run-down, dangerous places in LA. We're close to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and Santa Monica too. The facilities here are nice. I thought they looked a little older than other private schools I visited, but once I got here it felt comfortable and I don't notice anymore.

Comments

Admissions process was pretty straight forward, more simple application than others. Great scholarship opportunities here, I got funding based on merit, need, and a departmental scholarship that I didn't even know about when applying.

Date: 2011

Comments

It's pretty standard -- undergrad grades + lsat scores. But the school also puts a huge emphasis on diversity, that means race, economic background, geographical location, sexual orientation, area of legal interest, general interests, third careers - Rob Schwartz loves it all and it makes the classroom environment much more interesting. UCLA is also very generous with scholarship money. It was a big factor for me choosing UCLA over UVA.

Date: 2011

The quality of classes and seminars was exceptional. The teachers are brilliant yet accessible and supportive. Some used the Socratic method, but many didn't. The students are ambitious and competitive, but by and large welcoming and friendly. The coursework was challenging and workload rigorous, but not overwhelming. I loved every moment at the school.

Great facility, fine, spacious library, beautiful campus, terrific location in Westwood, near the beach, lots of people live in Brentwood or Santa Monica. I lived in Ocean Park near the beach, a short bus rid from campus.

Comments

The process is described in detail on the user-friendly web site.

Date: 2011

Professorial style at UCLA is quite varied; it really depends on the particular professor you have. Some are hard core cold-callers; others wait for volunteers; I had one professor who just called on people in alphabetical order. Most of them prefer the Socratic method, but also take time to lecture on points that are particularly esoteric or complicated. Whatever their style, they are some of the friendliest, genuinely caring teachers I have ever had. They always encourage e-mails, office visits, and questions if you don't understand the material. And they also take the time to interact on a personal level; I've had many professors take groups of students out to lunch or dinner, and several have even hosted end-of-the-semester parties at their homes. There are even 1-unit courses called "Perspectives" classes that some professors teach; these courses are meant to be a low-stress (there are no papers or tests), small (10 students), fun (the topics range from the TV show "The Wire" to Comic Books) means of engaging professors in a more relaxed setting. Student body wise, there is little competitiveness amongst UCLA students. The records office doesn't release your class rank (EVER), so while there is still a forced curve, not knowing your rank takes away a lot of the pressure. Students eagerly share notes from class with those who missed. Nobody hides books in the library; in fact, people actually mark off the section in the books their classmates will need that contains the answer to the problem.

good.

Best law school to attend, hands down.

Comments

Finish Undergrad Take LSAT ??? Admitted!

Date: 2011

Perhaps because of the beautiful setting, quality of life and high ranking for a young school, UCLA has attracted some of the best teachers in the world and best students as well. Two things I especially appreciated were the diversity of the student body, and the access to Los Angeles (e.g., " Hollywood") firms and companies.

All of the facilities are above average, even top-notch, but the best thing about UCLAW is the camaraderie. I was amazed at the culture of friendliness and support. Although I graduated prior to 2000, I am still in in touch with a large number of my classmates. My husband went to a different law school, and he said that my experience was uniquely warm.

Date: 2011

UCLA's classes are both challenging and demanding. Faculty are prestigious, knowledgeable and always willing to speak to students. They encourage pursuit of theoretical and practical studies and are always willing to assist with questions or individual research.

Although living in Los Angeles is expensive in general, the housing opportunities offered by UCLA are incredibly hospitable. I am incredibly happy here and feel very safe.

Comments

I was incredibly satisfied with the feedback I received from the UCLA admissions office. They were incredibly personable and worked with me on a variety of issues including scholarship offers and housing opportunities. They were a pleasure to speak to and always knowledgeable and easy to reach.

Date: 2011

more theoretical than practical. many teachers use socratic method. 1st year classes are larger than 2nd and 3rd year classes. many opportuntiies for externships.

cost of living in la is expensive. westwood village is nice. safe neighborhood.

Comments

application plus lsat, etc