2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Good class size, much one on one, great advising, many opportunities to distinguish yourself.

Excellent - great, safe low cost housing available in good neighborhoods. Great moot coot program, library was fantastic, excellently staffed.

It was a combination of LSAT, grade point average and looking for unique and talented individuals who would bring something special to the school.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

By far, the best part of the academics at UB is the quality of the faculty. I have amazing professors. They are excellent educators and extremely talented and accomplished in their own right. Theory is always a core component of lectures however it is only a prelude to the understanding of the practical application of the law. We are taught from the onset that we are at school to become lawyers.
First year class sizes are about 70 students or so. The Legal, Research and Writing classes are smaller (about 15 students). Legal, Research and Writing is a two semester course. UB is unique in that it has a bridge period where students can take non-traditional or additional classes in the intermediary period between Fall and Spring Semester. Many of the classes include practical skills used in litigation (such as jury selection, etc.). First year legal research and writing begins in the bridge term so that the class ends before finals.
One of the special features of UB is our clinical programs. To name a few Community Economic Development, Affordable Housing, Elder Law, etc. These clinics provide hands on experience for students and are highly esteemed in the community.

The cost of living is extremely low and ideal for student living. The campus is nice and spacious; ideal for someone like me who enjoys the outdoors. It is located in the suburbs - downtown Buffalo is about 20 minutes away by car. We have a lot of great restaurants and cute boutiques. Overall the law school is pretty nice. Our library is gorgeous and our courtroom is really nice too - very authentic.

The application process is centered around obtaining a student who is truly of good character and has displayed academic excellence. UB Law prides itself on having a certain type of student body so the personal essay is of extreme importance. As of now, students with a 160 on the LSAT and a 3.5 GPA have a good chance of obtaining entrance into UB; but students who have demonstrated excellence in other areas that don't necessarily have 'the scores' also have an opportunity.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The classes are excellent, and the faculty are top-notch. Not only are they all well known in their respective fields, but they are extremely accessible, and many go out of their way to get to know students on a personal level. I had the opportunity to work with two professors as a research assistant, and estimate that to be among the most meaningful academic experiences I had at UB. Despite the fact that UB is a good school, and competitive students attend, it is not a zero sum game. There are no missing books in the library, and that cutthroat quality simply is not there. There are many opportunities to get experience in practice, between the externship programs and the many alumni interested in employing UB students during the school year and summer months.

Great housing opportunities for law students, with access to Westlaw and LexisNexis printers in the housing areas.

We were asked to submit a personal statement as well as a separate essay about the past two non-school related books we had read. Everything else was handled per the LSDAS system.

2005

I addition to the paper application, I also met with the Dean of Admissions

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

class size is small, faculty is notable, several study abroad opportunities

cheap living; excellent facilities; computer labs; dedicated full size court room which has hosted the Court of Appeals of the State of New York; safe campus; generally good life.

LSAT, application process; essays

2007

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

In larger classes the professors used the Socratic method sometimes with volunteers others by calling on students at random. After first year class sizes varied with larger classes for the "bar exam" topics such as criminal procedure, evidence, tax but smaller class sizes in specialty areas. The Government Law Program at the University is unique in that it allows students who have an interest towards public service to tailor a specialty to their interests. My interest in education law was well accommodated by the relatively large selection of classes available, considering this is a niche practice area.

The cost of living in Buffalo is extremely reasonable which was a definite plus when factored into overall expenses. The law school is located on a suburban campus in Amherst, NY which is perennially one of the safest towns in the nation. While the law school is housed in one building it is on the larger campus for the university so there was access to dining, many libraries. The location of Buffalo, and the attractions of the city provided nice outlets when you needed a break from studying. The moot court room was completed after my graduation and is a beautiful room where the Appellate Division, Fourth Department will occasionally hold arguments.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

As a first year, students are exposed to legal theory in a very supportive environment. The students are not ranked so every student who masters the concepts and legal analysis can achieve a good grade. First years take their classes with the same 70-80 students during the entire year so it's very easy to form study groups and lifelong friends/colleagues. Most of the professors have taught their first year courses for many years so they are very effective articulating the doctrines (i.e. some concepts take more class time than others). Moreover, the professors are approachable and willing to take extra time to help students succeed. The professors are also very happy to advise students on their law school and career paths.

QOL is very good. There are shuttles running around campus and in between the campuses connecting suburban life with city life. The campus libraries have friendly and knowledgeable research technicians and many study areas and computers/printers. I feel very safe on campus. Although I wouldn't walk around alone at night, I do feel a reassuring police presence day and night (on campus and local authorities).

The application process is very subjective. The admissions board looks at the student as a whole not simply how he/she performs as an undergraduate and on the lsat. It is important to convey a genuine desire to become a legal professional whether it be demonstrated through undergraduate concentrations, extracurriculars, and/or work/volunteer experience. The admissions officers and student ambassadors are always more than happy to answer questions. Pre acceptance communication is a form of interviewing and can be extremely helpful. Additionally, because UB is a state school the school is constantly faced with financial concerns and the financial aid officers are very organized, helpful, and practical in this respect. Here at UB the students are treated like lawyers-in-training not just a number or statistic.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I found the teaching to be of consistent high quality, matching the students. I did not find any negative competitiveness, all students simply working hard to master the relevant material.

The school facilities were good when I was there (early 1980's), and have improved immeasurably since then. There were excellent opportunities to link with local community groups. I didn't live at school--I had a family--but found costs to be far lower than at other law schools.

I was put on a waiting list, and was notified in the last week of August, that I was to start in the 1st week of September.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Wonderful academic advising from faculty. Notable faculty. Classes offered in a wide range of areas that were practical as well as theoretical, including inter-term courses that took a very hands-on, practical approach. Also great clinical opportunities (mental health, elder law, education, fair housing, criminal defense, etc). Grading system is unusual (no GPAs). Some classes very small (i.e. 15 students) while intro/basic classes were up to 50-60 students.

The school did provide on-campus grad student housing although I lived off campus the entire time. The library was workable but I preferred to study elsewhere. The moot courtroom was beautiful, donated by local alumni and used frequently by the local courts to hold actual proceedings that law students could observe. It's located in a suburban location that has easy access including by public transportation. It's part of a huge university system so there are plenty of dining/study options available (starbucks, restaurants, etc). I never felt unsafe.

LSAT in the range of 155 is where most students accepted fell. There were several application essays involved and the university selected students from a wide variety of educational, career, and demographic backgrounds. Financial aid is abundant for in-state residents which is a huge benefit.

2005

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

UB has a great balance of classes. There are many classes that focus on theory, while others on practical study. Some of my first year classes used Socratic method, while other professors would warn students when they would be on call. The class sizes max out at 90 so it wasn't too daunting. Many of the seminars are smaller classes (lower than 25 students) which is great because it allows for more discussion. I came to UB because of the lack of competitiveness. The students here are much more likely to give you an outline rather than hiding one from you or answering a question wrong so that you will get it wrong later. I also choose UB for its clinical programs; these allow hands-on experience with actual clients, which is something that many law students cannot claim to have experience in. The faculty is extremely intelligent and easily approached.

The cost of living and dining is pretty low, which is great for law students. The campus is easily accessed and the library and computer labs are being constantly changed to be more amenable to law students. The courtroom is beautiful. When I was on my first tour of the school, I saw myself arguing in that courtroom, plus local courts sometimes use it for their proceedings. The campus is pretty safe.

Complete an application thru LSAC which included the LSAT, general questions about myself and my family, an essay regarding my interest in law school, transcript, resume, and recommendations from professors or other professionals. Financial aid was completed through a FAFSA submission.