Henry B. Tippie College of Business
The University of Iowa

4.1 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 15 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Smaller, personalized classes, Help was always available outside of class, availability of experiential learning programs, overseas opportunity, research and work opportunities

Comparable cost of living, greatest place to go to school..

Selection is based on diversity; it ranges from professional experience, educational background, country of origin etc. We had people over 10 years of experience to fresh of college. We had professionals from Lawyers, engineers, doctors, race car drivers, scientists, musicians, ex-military etc. Around 30% of the student population was international from over 10 different countries.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of faculty and intensiveness of the curriculum met and surpassed my expectations. My particupation in the Henry Fund, a student-managed equity portfolio that received 5 national RISE awards has been one of my top experiences. I was able to participate in a wide range of case competitions, in fact, I made that one of my goals. ACG (Association for Corporate Growth - Private Equity case studies) and Big 10 Case competition stood out. The student body is highly competitive, there are plenty group projects, online business simulations and opportunities to study abroad (Netherlands, Hong-Kong, India, and Chile).

Cost of living in Iowa City is very affordable. The business school is a few blocks from a wide range of restaurants, clubs and shopping. There is Bloomberg access in the librray and a very wide range of prestigious online databases access via the library (investments, international finance, etc.). Iowa City is a small town but there are plenty things to do, and the community is very cohesive.

I received great assistance from the admissions officer given the very short timeframe in which I was applying. GMAT was definitely a challenging stage, not by itself, but due to combining prepartion time and a full-time job. I solidified my excitement about the program when I had my interview with the Assistant Dean. She seemed very genuine and truly interested in my goals and career path plans. Financial aid was generous. With some parental help, I am basically debt-free after the program.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The class sizes are small and very challenging. Class participation is required with practical skills being taught. We have a great consulting class that is required of all students where students complete a 16 week project for a firm. Some past clients include Best Buy, US Bank and Transamerica.

The cost of living is very affordable and the downtown area is great. The nightlife is fun and there is a wide variety of restaurants and shops.

There was a lengthy application with essays. A phone interview, GMAT review and the personal interview with 4 faculty and staff members before admission was offered. The financial aid package was great and one of the reasons why I attended Iowa.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The course offerings allow you to pursue your interests in a smaller class setting, allowing for better flow of ideas and interactions with the professors. The grading expectations are clear, and we are competitively ranked based upon our fulfillment of the grading criteria. The school works closely with corporations and alumni to bring in quality speakers, discussing valuable topics for our careers after graduation.

The cost of living is higher than in other areas of the state, but for a college setting, it is reasonable. The campus and facilities are well kept, and there are multiple libraries and computer labs around campus. The housing is good, as is the dining. The neighborhood is good around campus, and crime is relatively low. I have enjoyed living here in my time at Iowa.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

* Class size is a key take away - because of which we get to have good quality time with the professors
* Good balance b/w theory and practice - A lot of opportunities to do hands-on project

Excellent facilities, Small yet complete city, Safety is good, variety of cuisines to choose from as far as dining goes, cost of living is very modest (Iowa city is one of the cities with a better CPI in the nation)

* The application essays gave a lot of importance to ethics and professionalism
* The interviewer was very interested in knowing me as a person
* Average GMAT scores of international students in the program is high >90th percentile)
* The school gave me good scholarships and financial assistances. Sometimes, they even went out of their way in awarding me a purse from a grant that came on a one-off basis

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academic quality has exceeded my expectations and rivals top 10 business schools. There was major emphasis on practical training, theoretical concepts were supported by real life company projects. Class sizes were just right and faculty members were extremely well prepared for any questions regarding the academic matter.

Quality of life at Tippie is very good, it is a student town so cost of living is very low. Other facilities are of top notch and people are friendly, you would rarely run into a person who is not related to university in some fashion. Environment is very conducive to attract and retain international students also.

Admission process is pretty similar to top 15 schools, however there is a small difference. Tippie is a small program so there is a huge emphasis on developing relationships and team work, so these qualities get emphasized on throughout the admission process.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of classes are exceptional. The class sizes are small and the professors are leaders in their fields. They truly care about teaching (vs. only their research) and are always avaible and responsive outside class. The classes are very competitive, but are team-oriented, so you compete against one another, but do not have to 'watch your back.' They have a great balance or case studies vs. assignments that develop both your tactical and strategic thinking. This allows the students to excell in their internships and careers. There is multiple real-world experential learning through Field Studies and the Business Solutions Center, which arranges partnerships with corporations for project work and leadership exposure.

The community is save, vibrant, and full of various activites for both married and single students. Very little crime, easy access for transportation, free/low cost public transportation, various dining cuisines, new computer labs and libraries, exciting sporting events. A very happy place!

The school's admissions are similar to others: Interview with multiple admissions, administration, and career services personnel. They consider GMAT, but only as 1 factor. Other factors include prior work experience, undergraduate GPA, career goals, and teamwork/leadership abilities.

They offer generous financial aide through Graduate Assistant positions and as Teaching Assistants through the College of Business.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class sizes are small, and faculty is very knowledgable and engaging. While it is a research university, the professors clearly love being in front of the students. Professors go above and beyond to be available to students for questions or just to visit.

GMAT, followed by application process, then campus visit. Application process included two essays and work history information. During campus visit, interviewed with several staff members. Learned very quickly about financial and scholarship opportunities.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Great program, high availability of professors. focus on practical experience starting with case studies going on to live projects with organizations in and around the area.

Lively campus with low cost of living. facilities are available at the campus, as desired by the students.

GMAT and TOEFL scores, coupled with essay questions, followed by personal interviews. Scholarship is determined based on the selection process itself.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Small class, individual attention. A good mix of theory and practice through case studies and consulting projects.

Low cost of living in and around campus. Good place for a school life.

Essays, GMAT, TOEFL and Intereviews

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)