Ive League Education for a State School Price

October 2018 | FORMER STUDENT

Almost every professor is top notch and all of the professors truly care about the well-being of their students, both inside and outside of the classroom.

The law school is small and separate from the College's other schools, which at times can make it seem small and overly personal.

Comments

If you plan on attending William & Mary Law School, don't think you can "fake it until you make it." Everyone at William and Mary is smart and kind; the only way you will make enemies is if you pretend to be smarter than you actually are. Being stuck up will also inhibit you.

Valuable Education in a Great Environment

December 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

There is a strong collaborative atmosphere. Classmates are generally supportive and people are willing to help eachother. Alumni as similarly helpful.

As a smaller school, it doesn't have great name recognition with recruiters and bigger firms.

Comments

Take advantage of the alumni network early and seek mentorship from professors.

Excellent, Underrated Law School

July 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Professors who take a genuine interest in student growth. Very few "gunners." Collegial classmates.

National reputation lagging behind the quality of students and faculty.

Comments

Terrific job opportunities in DC, New York, Richmond, Raleigh, and Charlotte. Dedicated alumni base. Recently hired additional top-notch faculty.

William & Mary's focus on developing citizen lawyers drives the experience here. The student body is extremely collegial, and the school offers terrific opportunities for practical outreach through clinical classes.

Williamsburg may be slow-paced, but it is an ideal environment for law study. We're close enough to Washington to facilitate the job search, and the low cost of living here in Hampton Roads makes for a very enjoyable few years.

The Admissions Office stood out in their hospitality; very few other schools encouraged applicants to visit, interview with admissions officers, and attend a class.

The on-campus facility is lackluster at beast. Living off-campus is much better option. There are plenty of available apartments and it's a quiet, tourist-friendly town.

The classes taught by actual faculty are amazing but the school relies too heavily on adjuncts. Adjuncts just aren't professors. The classroom experience varies so greatly with adjuncts that it can be very frustrating. The registration process should not be the cattle call that it is. There has to be a better way to register for class.

Fastest admissions process from submission to acceptance. I was not expecting to receive any scholarship and was pleasantly surprised.

Classes are wonderful, with a very few exceptions. There are obviously some subjects that are more difficult, such as Contracts or Property, but professors are always accessible and will work with you to understand everything. There are also TA's for every class. There is, of course, a lot of theory in first year classes, but professors try to include practical knowledge, such as how Constitutional Law's Commerce Clause applies the the health care debate, or the policy implications of felony murder or the death penalty. The professors do use the Socratic method, but, if you are having a bad day, you can tell them before class and they will understand. There is not much academic advising automatically offered (besides one big group session), but anyone you ask is happy to give advice and describe their own experiences, from professors to other students to alumni. Class sizes for 1L year are the standard 70 people or so, but that never feels too big. While we are all smart and competitive, the competition is never a huge issue - people will give you their notes if you miss class, and no one will ever tear pages out of the study guides in the library. Grading in a class above 30 people is on a curve, so you're never sure who you will get. The workload tends to be just enough that you can handle it and also have a social life, though don't expect to have time during exams! We also have a study abroad program in Spain that I am attending this summer, which is a great opportunity to pick up some credits while lounging near a pool in Madrid and traveling to other countries on three-day weekends.

Living off campus tends to be much more expensive than living on campus - $700-$1200 a month plus utilities. However, I highly recommend living off campus, especially if you're not a party person and you do better studying alone, or if you have a pet you want to bring along. Campus is out of the way from the tourist trap, which is great, but it is close enough to downtown that you can walk there in 5 minutes. Community relations are great since the town grew up with the college. It is very safe. Most people here are very happy with William & Mary.

I honestly don't remember much about the admissions process - we had an additional essay to write if we wanted to apply for certain fellowships, but it was not any better/worse than any other upper level law school. The financial aid person was very helpful, and I received a scholarship that essentially made my tuition in-state. However, the Graduate Research Fellowships seem to be arbitrarily given out - as someone who needed financial aid and was out-of-state and applied early, I did not receive one, while people I know in better financial circumstances who applied late received it. Not receiving the Graduate Research Fellowship will make it harder for me to get a job than those with the fellowship, since Graduate Research Fellows are able to research for a professor in their second and third years, receiving both experience, a salary, and a great recommendation letter.

Professors vary in their approach to classroom instruction. Many use the Socratic method, but many of those will inform the class who will be called on each day. Class sizes vary. Core classes can be large, with courses like business associations comprising some 100-120 students. Seminars and non-core classes, such as remedies and insurance regulation, are often below 20-25 students. Classes with more than 30 students are graded on a mandatory curve, which usually has a B+ as the mean. Students can study abroad, either with W&M's Madrid program or with the another school's program. Clinics are prevalent and growing in popularity. Joint degree programs are also increasing in popularity, with the JD/MPP and JD/MBA having the highest enrollment.

Cost of living is lower than DC, but higher than Richmond. Campus facilities are available around the clock for students. Laid-back, small community, with Colonial Williamsburg a quarter mile from campus.

LSAT should be around 165; GPA should be around 3.65. Financial aid is prevalent, with many out-of-state students receiving "graduate research fellowships," which confers in-state tuition and a stipend. Many receive merit-based scholarships. Tuition is much lower than most other schools of similar ranking and location.

It depends on the professor - but there is a real mix of theory and practical study. The practical application probably takes precedent the first year and theory comes in later. The curve is set at a B+ for large classes but there isn't a curve for lower count classes. We have several notable constitutional law scholars, criminal/international and antitrust as well. Class sizes vary depending on the elective. The school really encourages taking courses that interest you but academic advising is limited. The school is far more collegial than most - there is definitely competition but almost no malice.

Cost of living is pretty low, the campus is beautiful and pretty safe. We have the most technologically advanced courtroom in the world. Computer labs are available but have mostly been replaced by individual laptops. The facilities are very clean and well maintained but not new or top of the line. Overall, it's a very happy and tight knit community though.

I ended up taking the LSAT twice - and got the same score. Once I figured out LSAC/LSDAS it was so much easier. Scholarship opportunities were really the driving factor in my final decision - it was just too good to pass up. Most schools just required a personal statement and maybe one essay about their school particularly.

The first year class sizes tend to be fairly large (as a percentage of the entire class size). The quality certainly varies based on professor and on the student's preferred learning style. Some professors prefer a style closer to the Socratic method, others prefer to lecture more than ask questions. Generally there is some questioning every class by every professor but the amount varies a great deal. The workload also varies depending on the time of semester and the difficulty each student has in processing the materials. Some class subjects make more sense to me, so the reading takes less time. The professors do provide guidance about the final, including access to old finals questions. We also have assistants who hold review sessions every three weeks. Overall, I find the academics reasonably challenging without making students feel completely stupid (as I hear some professors enjoy doing). Many of our professors are leaders in their specialty fields, including some who maintain some private practice.

The cost of living is moderate - about the same as the metropolitan area I lived in previously but less than the one before that (which was Northern Virginia). The law school building is nice, the library was recently renovated and we have one of the most technologically advanced moot courtrooms in the country. (It is far more tech equipped than most state courts.) I have no experience with the housing but I love the neighborhood I live in, which is about 2 miles from campus but is quiet and free from any nosy undergraduates. There is very little crime in this community and most of it is small. As a graduate student, I am not exposed to some of the possible town/gown conflicts that come up with noise complaints etc... I love the area's many parks and recreational facilities and make use of the walking and biking trails on a regular basis.

They required LSAT scores, a standard application and an essay. I don't recall their process being significantly different from the other law schools to which I applied. However, they responded fairly quickly to my application and provided financial aid and scholarship award information fairly quickly.