Mays Business School
Texas A&M University

3.9 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 16 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of our faculty make this place unique. They have been extremely successful in their fields, but take the time to help students out. Our class size is also a major plus because everybody is able to participate to class discussions. We use relevant case studies to apply course material, which makes learning more applicable. Students are very competitive, but also will take the time to help others out. We push each other to be better.

The cost of living in Texas is great. The campus is big and open, very clean, and accessible 24/7. There is plenty of student housing right around campus. People here really seem happy.

We had to complete three essays, one of which automically qualified us for a number of scholarships. In addition, we submitted our GMAT scores.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I felt that we were put in front of top notch faculty and are competing with a very agressive buch of students. There is a good mix of thoeory and practice with perspectives from both academia and industry.

The admissions process involves an application with essays, an on campus or phone interview, sufficient performance on the GMAT, and has many financial aid and scholarship opportunities available.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The classes are extremely competitive as they force distribution for grading in every class. There are many opportunities to study abroad, on wall street, and Washington DC. The quality of classes are great. Most professors are very accomplished.

GMAT Score, transcripts, 3 letters of recommendations, interview. Scholarship opportunities are good. Most students have some type of scholarship.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Right blend of classes and practical aspects. Extremely qualified and experienced faculty. Good selection of academic syllabus.

Reasonable cost of living. Superb campus and facilities. Remarkable library and arrangements. Overall, a fantastic place to live in as a student.

Essay questions are atypical of other business schools. But the interview process is more structured and well managed. School awards good scholarships to deserving students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Incredible academics so far, specilly the economics, accounting, operations and strategy professor.

Incredible, really convenient city for an student, low crime, and low cost. The facilities are great, one of the largest rec centers in the usa...I am really happy here.

It is a really small program, only 70 students for hundreds of applicants, which makes it really selective.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Small class sizes and incredible faculty. Case format is very rewarding. Tons of case competition opportunities.

The admission process is selective. However, to compete against top-ten MBA programs, they offer very attractive scholarships

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Small classes (approximately 35 students) with a heavy focus on class discussion (case studies). Reasonably competitive. Mostly practical study with lots of assignments. Heavy focus on team work (in randomly assigned teams). Accelerated program so workload is very large and fast paced.

Cost of living is very reasonable. Very good facilities (library, computer labs). Neighborhood is nice (College Station is a college town). Crime and safety is acceptable, although caution should always be exercised.

Essays; Interview; GMAT; TOEFL; Professional References

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Engaged, full-time professors, small classes, and rotating cohorts provided excellent learning opportunities. While students were definately strong and hardworking, there was a sense of camaradarie and limited competition in the classroom. Opportunity for competition was provided during mid-term projects. Coursework provided a breadth of theoretical and practical applications. Wide variety of case competitions, study abroad, and consulting opportunities were available. Overall workload is intense due to the condensed nature of the program.

Cost of living is very affordable. Dedicated Graduate Business School facilities are great (dedicated computer labs, meeting spaces, etc). Larger campus is excellent; however, MBA students do not engage much in the rest of campus. While lacking some resources of a "big city" the small town feel of Bryan/College Station offers the right level of access for a busy student. Reasonable access to big city (1+ hour) if needed (Austin, Houston).

After completing the standard application (GMAT, essays, etc), I did a phone interview with the Admissions Director of the Program. During the interview there were standard interview questions as well as a discussion of my quantitative performance. Prior to admission, I also had the opportunity to visit the program (sit in a class, meet with students and staff), where the best engagement was with the Graduate Business Career Services staff who really challenged me to consider what I wanted out of an MBA program and what my end goals were.

2008

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The Mays Business School is absolutely committed to excellence. Small class sizes together with top-notch faculty from Harvard, MIT, etc., means greater opportunities to learn and interact. Classes are a mixture of theory and case-based learning and combine plenty of team oriented assignments and competitions. Students are extremely competitive but not step on your throat competitive. Some of my greatest friendships developed out of the MBA program.
In addition to such great in-class learning opportunities, the business school invites numerous professionals to participate in lectures and interactive luncheons. Such noteworthy guests include former Bank of America CEO Ken Lewis and Memorial Hermann CEO Dan Wolterman. There is even an opportunity to travel to Omaha, Nebraska and visit with Warren Buffett.
Opportunities and experiences abound at the Mays Business School.

The Mays program in consistently rated as one of the most affordable programs in the nation. However, this doesn't mean that quality is diminished. The MBA program along with Texas A&M University offer students a wide variety of tools. From vast online databases, dedicated computer labs, and Bloomberg terminals. College Station is a friendly community centered around the University with great shopping, dining, and cultural centers.

The admissions process is not unlike other schools. Applicants must submit an application along with letters of recommendation, essays, transcripts, resumes, and GMAT scores. After the application is submitted (online or by mail) the admissions office screens all applications. Any applicant that is not immediately eliminated is invited for an interview (in person, by phone, or skype). The admissions committee will then meet to decide which applicants they would like to make offers to and which are dismissed.

The Mays business school has recently added a unique feature by which current students can volunteer to assist in the admissions process. The level of involvement depends on the student, but can range from writing a "day in the life" bio all the way to interviewing and making recommendations that committee can use to supplement the information they gathered through other interviews. This allows for a unique perspective in the admissions process.

Almost every student is offered some sort of scholarship depending on the qualifications of the applicant. In addition, there is a number of graduate assistant positions available both in the business school and across the entire Texas A&M University campus.

2009

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Most classes were focused on case studies and due to the class class sizes participation weighed heavily. Many team projects including a week long commerialization project called Tech Transfer. The MBA class was required to take the same courses until the third term which allowed for one elective. Final term consulting project was similar for all MBA students, but was student driven.

Low cost of living, a small community designed for the serious MBA student. If you want to party and just get by DO NOT apply here.

GMAT, essay, interview, letters of recommendation. Application process was detailed most not ornerous. As a MBA candidate you are automatically eligible for scholarships. The process took approximately 3 months from completion of the GMAT through acceptance into the program.

2009