Underdog

July 2017 | CURRENT STUDENT

The unique bond you create while at Suffolk law with students and teachers and everyone's willingness to help.

The fact its an underdog in Boston when compared to schools like Harvard and BU.

Comments

You wont be sorry you went here. While its an underdog, it has some excellent opportunties to really shine and come to the top. Great legal writing program, great journal experience, and really get thrust into the Boston legal community with multiple connections and opportunities to meet alums and network and get yourself where you want to go.

High Quality Education and Suprisingly Good Alumni Base

June 2017 | CURRENT STUDENT

Alumni are extremely willing to go out of their way to help you. The quality versus cost of education is unmatched in Boston - I paid $90,000 less here than I would have at BU Law and ended up with the same caliber job (OCI position at a top 25 Boston firm). The students are more "normal," down to earth, and hard working than anticipated. No snobs.

Academic advising and professional development could be more hands on.

Comments

Unless the cost of Suffolk is substantially similar to other, "better" schools likes BU or BC, Suffolk is your best bet. Also, do not even consider Northeastern. Suffolk has a better alumni base. Get good grades and finish 1L with a good class rank and you'll be in the same position as your peers at BU and BC.

November 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

The school makes it easy to transition into law school life. It's a lot of information but they practically hold our hands.

I haven't really found anything wrong with the school in. Maybe by the end of my first year I will.

Comments

At this moment I don't have anything further to add.

First Year Experience

June 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

Great Professors, Nice Library, and Facilities are clean and fairly new.

Poor resources, CDO, Dropping LSAT and GPA scores are flooding the school with less qualified applicants.

Comments

If you are looking to get into public interest or potentially business law, then this school is a good fit. However, if you are looking into federal positions/ large law firms, retake the LSAT or choose elsewhere.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There has been phenomenal support from the professors, the Academic Support office in the first year, and my fellow classmates. It is an environment that encourages development, rather than the intensely competitive atmosphere present at so many other law schools. I really would not want to be anywhere else.

Expensive.

There was nothing particularly unusual about the process, but the LSAT score required for admission was higher than other local schools, offering an evening program. I completed my application, including the required essay. I had to secure recommendations and after doing so, I uploaded them as well into the admissions website. Once I completed the LSAT and had that score reported to the LSDAS, I was pretty much set. The disappointment has been with the inability to secure scholarship opportunities at Suffolk. It is supposed to be based upon need. I am married, living witth one of our children, still supporting other children overseas, I have the only income in the household because my husband has not been able to secure a job, but the financial aid office doesn't believe that there's enough financial need to offer any grant monies. I am not earning a huge salary either, since I have to keep employment that doesn't require or offer over-time. Yet, I am still expected to secure grad plus loans because the stafford funds don't even cover the ever increasing tuition.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Professors are of the highest caliber. Thrilled with my choice to attend Suffolk instead of other Boston schools. The quality of education for the price is unmatched.

Cost of living in Boston is very expensive. I currently live outside the city and take the train to Boston for a total commute of 4 hours per day (2 hours each way). Substantial savings from living in the city.

LSAT
Essay
Application
LSAC/LSDAS
Great financial aid and scholarships.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

THEY HAVE A NICE BLEND OF THEORY AND PRACTICAL STUDY THE FIRST YEAR. BEYOND THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF PRACTICE BASED COURSES. PROFESSORS ARE EXTREMELY WELL-KNOWLEDGED IN THE SUBJECTS THEY TEACH, MANY ARE MASTERS IN THEIR FIELDS (GLANNON IN CIVIL PROCEDURE, FERREY IN ENVIRONMENTAL/ENERGY LAW). AMAZING STUDY/WORK ABROAD PROGRAMS (LUND FOR STUDY, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD FOR WORK). GRADING IS PRETTY TYPICAL - B CURVE FOR THE LARGER CLASSES IS MANDATORY, CLASSES SMALLER HAVE THE OPTION TO USE IT OR NOT. MANY CLINICAL COURSES OFFERED.

NO ON-CAMPUS DORMS/LIVING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE LAW SCHOOL. FACILITIES ARE AMAZING - SEMI-BRAND NEW BUILDING, WIRELESS THROUGHOUT, LARGE COMFORTABLE CLASSROOMS, 4 AMAZING MOOT COURTROOMS (ONE IS SO NICE THAT SOME JUDGES HOLD THEIR REGULAR MOTION SESSIONS IN IT OCCASIONALLY). HAS OWN POLICE FORCE (THAT IS SHARES WITH THE UNDERGRAD/GRAD SCHOOLS). PRIME LOCATION, DIRECTLY ACROSS BOSTON COMMON FROM THE STATEHOUSE.

NOTHING OUT OF THE NORM IN TERMS OF WHAT WAS REQUIRED. REQUIRED LSAT, PERSONAL STATEMENT, USE OF LSAC/LSDAS, TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (ONE FROM A PROFESSOR). DID OFFER FINANCIAL AID - NEEDED TO FILL OUT BOTH THE FASFA AND NEED ACCESS WHICH REQUIRED PARENTS INFO REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU WERE A DEPENDENT OR NOT. DUE TO THIS, FINANCIAL AID IS NOT GIVEN OUT TO A LOT OF THE "OLDER CROWD" (THOSE NOT COMING FRESH OUT OF UNDERGRAD). HAD TO CHOOSE EITHER DAY OR NIGHT PROGRAM TO APPLY. IF THE DAY PROGRAM WAS FULL THEY HAVE YOU A CHANCE, UPON ACCEPTANCE TO GO NIGHT THE FIRST YEAR AND TRANSFER TO DAYS THEREAFTER.

Brilliant teachers

Students are great. Nobody is too competitve.

essays and LSAT

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of the professors was top notch at Suffolk. Not only are they excellent teachers but they are also highly available tot the students for help and to serve as mentors. The classes generally lean more towards practical study but theory classes were available if students were interested. I had excellent academic advisers and was never short on resources no matter the questions I had. The level of competitiveness at Suffolk is not as high (at least on the surface) as I have heard it can be at other schools. That is not to say that students were not striving towards excellence but people were willing to help others out when they needed it and there was no sabotage. The grading seemed overall fair and the research opportunities were available to students who wanted them. Finally the workload, while significant, was manageable, even when combined with the extracurricular activities available at the school. In general I had an excellent experience as a Suffolk student and will miss being there.

The facilities at Suffolk University Law School are some of the vest in the city. The library is beautiful and well stocked, the classrooms are new and well designed. Additionally the school is located in the center of Boston across the park from the statehouse. I loved being in the middle of the city but being able to retreat into the building when I needed to do work (where I was never distracted by tour location).

The process was fairly standard for application to a higher education institute. I had to submit an application with an application essay and my LSAT scores. The best thing about applying to Suffolk was that the scholarships were very easy to apply for and the school made an effort to make them available and visible to the applicants.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of classes is excellent with many prestigious professors. Adjunct professors are excellent also with practical experience.

Standard application process requiring personal statement, transcript and letters of recommendation.