November 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

The school makes it easy to transition into law school life. It's a lot of information but they practically hold our hands.

I haven't really found anything wrong with the school in. Maybe by the end of my first year I will.

Comments

At this moment I don't have anything further to add.

First Year Experience

June 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

Great Professors, Nice Library, and Facilities are clean and fairly new.

Poor resources, CDO, Dropping LSAT and GPA scores are flooding the school with less qualified applicants.

Comments

If you are looking to get into public interest or potentially business law, then this school is a good fit. However, if you are looking into federal positions/ large law firms, retake the LSAT or choose elsewhere.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There has been phenomenal support from the professors, the Academic Support office in the first year, and my fellow classmates. It is an environment that encourages development, rather than the intensely competitive atmosphere present at so many other law schools. I really would not want to be anywhere else.

Expensive.

There was nothing particularly unusual about the process, but the LSAT score required for admission was higher than other local schools, offering an evening program. I completed my application, including the required essay. I had to secure recommendations and after doing so, I uploaded them as well into the admissions website. Once I completed the LSAT and had that score reported to the LSDAS, I was pretty much set. The disappointment has been with the inability to secure scholarship opportunities at Suffolk. It is supposed to be based upon need. I am married, living witth one of our children, still supporting other children overseas, I have the only income in the household because my husband has not been able to secure a job, but the financial aid office doesn't believe that there's enough financial need to offer any grant monies. I am not earning a huge salary either, since I have to keep employment that doesn't require or offer over-time. Yet, I am still expected to secure grad plus loans because the stafford funds don't even cover the ever increasing tuition.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of classes is excellent with many prestigious professors. Adjunct professors are excellent also with practical experience.

Standard application process requiring personal statement, transcript and letters of recommendation.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of the professors was top notch at Suffolk. Not only are they excellent teachers but they are also highly available tot the students for help and to serve as mentors. The classes generally lean more towards practical study but theory classes were available if students were interested. I had excellent academic advisers and was never short on resources no matter the questions I had. The level of competitiveness at Suffolk is not as high (at least on the surface) as I have heard it can be at other schools. That is not to say that students were not striving towards excellence but people were willing to help others out when they needed it and there was no sabotage. The grading seemed overall fair and the research opportunities were available to students who wanted them. Finally the workload, while significant, was manageable, even when combined with the extracurricular activities available at the school. In general I had an excellent experience as a Suffolk student and will miss being there.

The facilities at Suffolk University Law School are some of the vest in the city. The library is beautiful and well stocked, the classrooms are new and well designed. Additionally the school is located in the center of Boston across the park from the statehouse. I loved being in the middle of the city but being able to retreat into the building when I needed to do work (where I was never distracted by tour location).

The process was fairly standard for application to a higher education institute. I had to submit an application with an application essay and my LSAT scores. The best thing about applying to Suffolk was that the scholarships were very easy to apply for and the school made an effort to make them available and visible to the applicants.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Professors are of the highest caliber. Thrilled with my choice to attend Suffolk instead of other Boston schools. The quality of education for the price is unmatched.

Cost of living in Boston is very expensive. I currently live outside the city and take the train to Boston for a total commute of 4 hours per day (2 hours each way). Substantial savings from living in the city.

LSAT
Essay
Application
LSAC/LSDAS
Great financial aid and scholarships.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

THEY HAVE A NICE BLEND OF THEORY AND PRACTICAL STUDY THE FIRST YEAR. BEYOND THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF PRACTICE BASED COURSES. PROFESSORS ARE EXTREMELY WELL-KNOWLEDGED IN THE SUBJECTS THEY TEACH, MANY ARE MASTERS IN THEIR FIELDS (GLANNON IN CIVIL PROCEDURE, FERREY IN ENVIRONMENTAL/ENERGY LAW). AMAZING STUDY/WORK ABROAD PROGRAMS (LUND FOR STUDY, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD FOR WORK). GRADING IS PRETTY TYPICAL - B CURVE FOR THE LARGER CLASSES IS MANDATORY, CLASSES SMALLER HAVE THE OPTION TO USE IT OR NOT. MANY CLINICAL COURSES OFFERED.

NO ON-CAMPUS DORMS/LIVING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE LAW SCHOOL. FACILITIES ARE AMAZING - SEMI-BRAND NEW BUILDING, WIRELESS THROUGHOUT, LARGE COMFORTABLE CLASSROOMS, 4 AMAZING MOOT COURTROOMS (ONE IS SO NICE THAT SOME JUDGES HOLD THEIR REGULAR MOTION SESSIONS IN IT OCCASIONALLY). HAS OWN POLICE FORCE (THAT IS SHARES WITH THE UNDERGRAD/GRAD SCHOOLS). PRIME LOCATION, DIRECTLY ACROSS BOSTON COMMON FROM THE STATEHOUSE.

NOTHING OUT OF THE NORM IN TERMS OF WHAT WAS REQUIRED. REQUIRED LSAT, PERSONAL STATEMENT, USE OF LSAC/LSDAS, TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (ONE FROM A PROFESSOR). DID OFFER FINANCIAL AID - NEEDED TO FILL OUT BOTH THE FASFA AND NEED ACCESS WHICH REQUIRED PARENTS INFO REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU WERE A DEPENDENT OR NOT. DUE TO THIS, FINANCIAL AID IS NOT GIVEN OUT TO A LOT OF THE "OLDER CROWD" (THOSE NOT COMING FRESH OUT OF UNDERGRAD). HAD TO CHOOSE EITHER DAY OR NIGHT PROGRAM TO APPLY. IF THE DAY PROGRAM WAS FULL THEY HAVE YOU A CHANCE, UPON ACCEPTANCE TO GO NIGHT THE FIRST YEAR AND TRANSFER TO DAYS THEREAFTER.

Brilliant teachers

Students are great. Nobody is too competitve.

essays and LSAT

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

High quality professors; broad range of course offerings; good balance between theory and practical study; clinical programs; study abroad opportunities; academic concentrations

Excellent location and facilities

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The socratic method is used primarily with 1st year courses, and while stressful, if very effective. Class sizes for Bar suggested/required course are too large - not enough interaction. As a part-time evening student with a full time job, practical study is VERY limited (actually pretty much non-existant) - I have to believe there is some way to give evening students with a full-time more opportunity for practical study. Research oppportunities are limited and really depend on what courses your choose. I have chosen my course based on what will work best for me when it comes to studying for the bar. This means more theory than practice. In many of the courses that are required for the bar and not core courses could provide opportunities for research in the form of a final paper in lieu of a final exam. Prof Sandoe does this and I find I learn so much more working through one his projects than I would ever learn if he gave a final exam. There is a lot a competition, but seems to be driven more by student ultimate career hopes - I think that's a good thing. Workload is reasonable and doable - most of the time. And we have some excellent and well known faculty who bring a lot to the classroom from their own experienes.

Library is excellent and librarians extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Plenty of computer labs for research and/or printing and working. Low crime but still need to be careful to keep an eye on your "stuff". Overall, I'm relatively happy