Great regional law school

February 2016 | FORMER STUDENT

Accessible professors that really care about their students; solid reputation in the Central/Southwest Florida market.

There are too many classes only offered at night to accommodate the school's large population of part-time students.

Comments

Not the school to go to if you want to move out of state. It is a great school but does not have the national reputation needed to be hired outside of Florida.

There is a mandatory two-weeks orientation program that provides the fundaments of the US Legal system, and the american law school methodology in order to immerse foreign attorneys in the academic atmosphere. The class of Legal Research and Writing is extraordinatia and equips foreign attorneys with the fundamental tools to succeed in the American Legal Market Place. International Law is taught by an extraordinary Professor Luz Nagle, an international speaker. Class size is extraordinary for LL.M. A group of 15 to 20 persons. The Program is tailored according to students' interest.

The life is full of peace, the atmosphere invites student to focus on their studies, but also the Campus has facilities that allow us to enjoy the swiming pool, gym, games. Also, there is a terrific section of Movies at the library that can be borrow at any time.

TOEFL
Letters of Reference
Personal Statement
Application
LL.B Transcripts

Other

It is a beautiful resort near the beach. It is full of wonderful people.

The classes are no more than seventy. Professors describe theory of law and we debate the practicality. Students are required to have at least one academic and career advising session. Stetson posts all career, pro bono and research opportunities on the website or through emails.

The library is 24 hour access with a knowledgeable staff and plenty of study rooms. The area surrounding Stetson is small and quaint and close to the water.

Stetson required three recommendations. They wanted a personal statements as to why I wanted to attend Stetson and what I wanted to do with my degree.

Socratic method for basic classes, fantastic clinic and internship opportunities

LSAT, essay, committee

Other

First year class sizes are approximately 60 students per class. Professors practice the Socratic method mixed with lecture. Class sizes after the first year are not as large. Skill classes are personable, some as small as 20 students. Students are competitive but not obnoxiously competitive. Feels more like a community because the faculty are so caring. Many study abroad opportunties, which I took advantage of and it was a very valuable experience. Research opportunities are always available with faculty, other scholars, even judges in Florida and outside of Florida. Mandatory grading curve when I entered Spring 2008 was approximately a 2.79; the class average could not be above that curve. I think the mandatory curve is 3.0 now for first year students. The workload is intense but very worthwhile.

State of the Art moot courtrooms, library and computer labs. Help with finding housing. Complete meals provided in one dining area, quick meals provided in the campus cafe. Opportunities to interact with the community, such as Martin Luther King Parade, Habitat for Humanaity, helping the community prepare tax returns, campus safety and IT personnel is excellent, etc...

LSAT, personal stateement and essay, references, financial aid emails scholarship opportunities.

The professors provide a great balance of theory and practical experience in their lectures. While some professors use the Socratic method, it is very minimal at best, and even when it is used the professors are not intimidating. They don't seek to embarass students but instead intellecutally stimulate and challenge them, without it being a stressful experience. I loved my professors and the opportunity provided to me by Stetson. Many of my professors were very dynamic using props and great stories to illustrate legal concepts and make the classes more interesting and entertaining.

The Librarians at Stetson are phenomenal not only are their very accessible, they are friendly and will go out of their way to help you as much as possible. There were seeminly no criminal incidents during my time at Stetson, and if any they were minor issues like bike theft because someone left their bike unlocked.

The admissions process runs smoothly. It is very easy to get updates on the status of your application and if something is pending. The financial aid office is also very helpful, however I would like it if there was more financial aid in the form of scholarships for students.

The classes first year definitely get you "thinking like a lawyer." There are some professors that are known to be extremely Socratic, while others are not like that in any way. You experience the Socratic method more in your first year than in any of the following two; at least in my experience. Class sizes first year are roughly sixty people and it can be competitive at times. Overall though, the students promote more of a "team" environment than you get at most other schools. Sure, there are those people who are pretty cut-throat, but it is law school and those people will always be there. It is best to identify these people early on and keep this in mind as you go through school. The faculty is pretty accessible overall. Some of them relate more to students whereas some others are not as open. We have very good faculty in the realm of criminal law and trial advocacy. I cannot think of a single professor that Stetson employs that has not done something/continues to do something that is pretty meaningful to their area of expertise. The workload first year is ridiculous, but it is the first year of law school! They put you through the ringer, but making it through that first year is almost a right of passage. The second and third years are not walks in the park either. The stress is still there for classes and I say you work pretty hard all three years. It depends on what sort of classes you take. Stetson grades on a forced curve the first year, and then a curve in the upper level classes as well. Therefore, you have to study hard and perform well to beat that curve. The school increased the curve recently from 2.7-2.9 the first year to 2.9-3.1 (I think!). This makes for a little bit of a higher GPA average coming out of first year, which looks good on paper when up against other schools who have much higher curves. To the outside employer who is not aware of the tough curves of some schools, having a lower GPA than a school with a higher curve can make you look bad versus that other person when in reality, with the curve in place, you have done quite well.

The city of Gulfport is rather cheap to live in but I do not think it is the nicest. A lot of people live at Golfview across the street. This is a popular apartment complex with students at school because of it's proximity. The campus is stunningly beautiful. The grounds are kept nearly perfect and the architecture of our campus is second to none. The school was actually a top of the line hotel in the 1920's and walking around campus you can understand how this was so. The school has great facilities for courtrooms, classrooms, etc. A lot of old schools (even though Stetson is the first law school in Florida) put you in dumpy classrooms with sub-par facilities, but I cannot say I ever was in a below average quality facility at any point in Stetson. Sure it is expensive, but walking around the campus it is like a country club. As far as happiness goes, the school is located on it's own, although connected to Stetson University in Deland, Florida, so you do not have the undergraduate campus around to keep the social scene going at all hours. There are pluses and minuses to this. It is harder to meet non-law students at times because you are so enthralled in your studies that getting away is not that easy. That being said, Tampa is very close and downtown St. Petersburg is a really cool night-life spot so students often break away by going to those places.

When you apply to Stetson you must have taken the LSAT, have your letters of recommendation on file with LSAC, as well as your transcripts and any essay that you have written for them as a personal statement. The wait process can be lengthy so it is best to apply early. It also makes a "weaker application" stronger because you do not have as much competition earlier on. I feel like it is harder to get into the school later in the admissions process. I would recommend getting the application completed and to Stetson by Thanksgiving or December 1st. This way you are way ahead of others. If you are sitting around waiting a long time, this is a good thing, as you are unlikely to hear right away unless you are extremely strong or extremely weak (application wise). Stetson does take people off of the wait list so do not be completely discouraged if you are waitlisted.

Socratic method is used. Overall the school places a large emphasis on practical skills. The National Clearinghouse for Science, Technology and the Law is located on campus and provides a unique research opportunity for students. Stetson's Advocacy Boards are consistently ranked #1 in the nation for trial advocacy, and we have a very extensive study abroad and student exchange programs, giving students the opportunity to study in numerous locations across on four continents.

LSAT, letters of recommendation, undergraduate transcript, personal statement, nothing unexpected.