One black female 1L's perspective - very disappointed

December 2018 | CURRENT STUDENT

Be very aware that it's much easier to be accepted as a 1L to a top-ranked school than to transfer out after you're thoroughly disappointed by the low-ranked school (like this) where you went as a 1L. Also, barely any schools offer transfers scholarship money.

My best advice after having completed 1L first semester: Don't settle for a low-ranked school with low expected graduate income like this just because they're offering a full scholarship! N.b.: I did well on all of my finals, so I'm not venting because I didn't.
I completely regret accepting to come here, and I've had the most disrespectful unprofessional experiences here that I've ever had at an educational institution in my life. A professor snatched a paper out of my hands when I was reading to ask her a question in office hours after her being rude on multiple previous occasions, and instead of competently handling the situation when I asked him to be switched out of her section next semester, The Dean of students denied my request citing that I've never been diagnosed with PTSD (He actually put that in writing), wrote me up for being "unprofessional" and lied multiple times on the memorandum he put on my file, including saying the professor just reached across her desk to "ask" me to focus, and I have him recorded saying "she just grabbed a paper out of your hands, it's not like she shoved you" among other things. At least 2 other Deans including Dean Simons know about this but have ignored my complaints. Very conservative student body also which for me isn't appealing. Atmosphere is quite low on cultural competence and not diverse. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Comments

My experience: disrespectful adminstration, low ranked school, very conservative student body, not diverse, a lot of cultural incompetence

Amazing!

September 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

Great professors, great scholarships and great opportunities. The career staff is amazing really try to help you find a job and connect you

It is annoying that it is in Queens it should be in the Manhattan campus

Comments

If you think you can do well, and have a scholarship to St John's this is by FAR your best option. Don't let a law school ranked a little bit higher deter you- I have offers to amazing firms coming out of St Johns

Solid Choice If You Do Well

August 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

strong alumni network and if you are top of the class the career development office is stellar

the building is one of the most poorly laid out academic buildings Ive ever seen. The housing for law students is the most convoluted and ridiculous process.

Comments

To graduate top of your class without any debt from law school puts you in a better position than someone who is middle of the class at a more prestigious top tier school.

Personal Experience at St John's

June 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

I received a full scholarship to St John's Law which was amazing and took off a lot of the pressure for loans. Additionally, the career guidance center there was amazing and helped get me exactly what I was looking for this summer. I went in not knowing anyone and have made a lot of new friends, everyone is really nice. The professors really helped you learn the law, and I came in knowing nothing!

It is hard that it is in Queens. I live in Manhattan and it definitely makes me less inclined to get involved in school activities. Also, although the professors are amazing educators I have found it difficult to create a personal relationship with any of them.

Comments

Definitely consider this school! If you have a scholarship there, St John's will offer you all the same benefits as a school like Cardozo or Brooklyn. I had more opportunity this summer than my friends at those schools. I have learned so much!

Needs to focus on getting students jobs in Manhattan

March 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Good faculty who usually actually care about students. Nice to be in NYC but also have the residential feel of Jamaica Queens. Most of my classmates are doing quite well.

Needs to focus on getting more students big law jobs to increase the schools profile. Not everyone wants to work in Long Island.

Comments

If you want to go to law school in New York and you don't get into NYU, Columbia, or Fordham, give SJU a hard look...especially if they give you a scholarship.