Great Law Program

May 2018 | FORMER STUDENT

Faculty and instructors are great. Very approachable. Great environmental law program. The school has a federal internship program which is great - students can intern at the SDNY with a judge for a semester.

Wish there were more clinic options. Although there are a lot of great internship programs.

Comments

I recommend visiting the campus and taking a tour to get a feel for the school. Also, if you are interested in working in nonprofit or environmental law, the professors and classes are excellent.

Great People

July 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

Great Staff that is always there to help and guide you
Environmental Program is ranked among the top in the nation
The demographics on campus are extremely diverse

Because the school is so well known for environmental law, the other portions of the curriculum take a back seat

Comments

If you are looking to become an environmental/real estate/energy attorney, and are looking to be in the Metropolitan area, Pace has to be your top choice.

Pace Law

July 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Some professors know their subjects very well and genuinely care for their students. The class sizes are fairly small allowing for more interaction with professors. Easy to get in.

Job prospects are terrible. The career services have no idea what they are doing. The management of the school is horrible at helping their students achieve their goals.

Comments

If this is the best option you can get I would suggest sticking it through, getting good grades, and transferring.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Note: all of the classes that I take are environmentally related, because of my program, so I can't speak to the regular law program. The quality of the courses is very high and there are many environmentally related courses to choose from. The classes tend toward the practical side--projects and memos similar to what I've encountered in internships, rather than the standard socratic method and final combination. The class sizes are fairly small (the largest I've taken was about 30 people, the smallest has 6 people), and the students tend to be supportive rather than competitive. There are extensive research opportunities, with professors often offering extra curricular research projects for interested students. The grading scheme is curved, I believe around a B+. The faculty are very involved in the community and in publishing, including John Nolon who publishes extensively in land use topics relating to smart growth and climate change and several professors who are involved in local volunteer organizations. Although I have not had the opportunity to take advantage of them, there are study abroad opportunities and externships in NYC and DC. The workload varies considerably depending on the professor.

I'm in the Environmental LLM program (a one year masters program), so the admissions process is more individualized--not based on LSAT scores, but instead primarily on resume and statement of interest.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The specialized courses in environmental law and land use are exceptional. The legal writing and analysis during the first two semesters is also exceptional, with a separate legal research and bluebooking section taught in the library. The legal writing classes are taught by professors who have been criminal practitioners, and they schedule one-on-one conferences to edit drafts of writing assignments and give each student specialized help. Pace also has a fantastic academic support program that gives seminars on exam success and study skills, as well as maintains a lending library of study aids and hornbooks. Upper-division students who excelled on exams lead exceptionally popular 1L study groups and help with outlining and exam preparation.

The campus is small and has the feel of a manor - very green and spread out over several larger modern buildings and lovely Victorian-era houses. There is a central lawn where student organizations host barbeques and events. The entire campus is landscaped and a green oasis for those of us who commute in from New York City (only a 30-minute train ride). The library is never loud or crowded, and many study areas are open 24 hours. The cafeteria is great and, owing to the numerous veterinarian and vegan students, serves healthy food. The cost of living in White Plains is climbing steadily, but the city is so centrally located that commuting options are virtually unlimited.

Pace uses a unique application process that involves essay questions and a cycle of interviews after initial evaluations. The focus is on building a diverse yet cohesive student body with strengths that go beyond raw scores.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class size tends to be small, especially after first year. This really helped me to get to know my professors and get personalized attention.

The school's admissions process is different from others because they interview candidates. You have to apply early to be selected. I interviewed with an Admissions Counselor and I think it helped me get accepted.

LSAT

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Safe community, beautiful campus, modernized library facilities and computer labs, many reasonably priced options for housing off-campus. Multitude of healthy food options (even organic) on and off campus.

Great scholarship opportunities even for average students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class size is small. During first year you take classes with the same students. In general, there is not a lot of competitiveness among students. There many unique academic programs and clinics (e.g. comparative environmental law program with trip to Brazil) as well as several study abroad opportunities (e.g. England). There are many notable faculty. The environmental law program is considered the 3rd best in the county, behind Vermont Law and Lewis & Clark.

Most of the facilities are updated or new. The library is very comfortable with ergonomic chairs. The cafeteria is pretty decent. White Plains is a nice city close to New York City and has good shopping, food, and a night life. There are no safety issues on campus, and theft is mostly a non-issue. However, it is not unlikely for a non-student to wander on to campus and even gain access to the library, and I know of one laptop stolen from the library. It is a pretty campus with nice places to sit outside in the good weather. It is very friendly campus and students are genuinely happy.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I have found the school too be much more competitive than advertised, especially during the first year. The Socratic method is used heavily during the first year and is used consistently throughout most of the courses. The course load is heavier than what my friends at other law schools take and I found the classes to be very challenging, especially the environmental classes. Teachers are broadly well respected experts in their respective fields who are passionate about the school and teaching, despite a few bad eggs that survive due to tenure from when the school was formed.
The school has great study and work abroad experiences for those interested in both international as well as environmental law.