School of Law
New York University

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (84 Student Reviews)

Date: 2010

The cost of living is high, but the neighborhood is fantastic.

Date: 2010

Extensive clinic program offering a variety of semester-long and year-long clinics.

Modern facilities. Fact that all of the law school is contained in two buildings across the street from each other makes the school feel intimate.

Date: 2010

Class quality varies with professor as at any school, but NYU offers a good mix of theory-based classes and practical ares of study. After 1L, most professors shy away from the Socratic method but instead put students "on call." Advising is a bit lackluster, but class size is generally decent. There's a good mix of seminars of survey classes. Grades are on a curve. Workload is overwhelming.

Campus is nice, but the classrooms and library are a bit dour. NYU is overbearing on neighboring communities, and as at most law schools, students are generally happy enough all things considered.

Comments

Typical law school process.

Date: 2010

incredible clinic opportunities, the ONLY place to study international law in terms of faculty and breadth and depth of offerings, unique academic scholarships with institutions that involve mentoring and opportunities to write your own scholarship, fantastic term time internships, great associated centers in land use, human rights, etc

high cost of living is to be expected, not a ton of space on campus b/c it's in new york, but being downtown is great- it also means you can get a cheap(er) apartment in brooklyn, totally safe

Comments

fantastic scholarship opportunities in public interest, international law, law and business, environmental law, academia, etc

Date: 2010

Comments

Nothing unique about the process.

Date: 2010

Seems similar to other T14 schools from all the people I've talked to. We have a bigger clinical law program. 1L year has "lawyering" instead of Legal Research and Writing. We have an elective 1L year. Civ Pro is only one semester here.

Cost of living is outrageous, everything else is pretty great.

Comments

Uses the common law school application -- LSAT, one personal statement, 2 letters of rec.

Date: 2010

The classes are, for the most part, excellent. The lawyering program for 1L's is really great and something that makes NYU stand apart from traditional research and writing programs at other schools. The professors are mostly very approachable and genuinely want to see students succeed.

Date: 2010

quality of classes - Couldn't ask for better professors go as far as how prolific they are; but some are boring. theory vs. practical study - a manageable mixture of both, especially with professors who mix in real stories from their work experience the Socratic method - Used, but not to frighten students. Most professors use a panel method to allow for predictability. academic advising - never dealt with them. class sizes - can get the size classes you want based on course selection. Some are huge but others are small and personal. competitiveness - nonexistent. unique academic programs - clinics, classes with prolific professors who are one of their kind (ie ex Chancellor of the Delaware court) research opportunities - definitely enough RA and center opportunities grading - fair but sometimes seems arbitrary. Curve is forgiving and on the "nicer" side. notable faculty - too many to list. Epstein, Dworkin, Nagel, Waldron, Allen, Miller, Schulhofer, etc. workload - very manageable. I felt busier as an undergrad.

cost of living - high but not prohibitive. I lived in the dorms first year and it was fine, and cheaper than the apartment I have now. NYC is costly but it is also safe and, in my opinion, the best city in the world. campus - beautiful! facilities - beautiful! library - seems to have everything I need computer labs - there are enough of these to go around, but almost everyone uses their laptops. moot courtroom - n/a housing - see point on cost of living dining - best food in the world a subway stop away, and cheap options for students. neighborhood - perfect community relations - n/a, but nyu as a whole doesn't have the best rep in the village. crime and safety - never, ever felt uncomfortable around campus overall happiness - I can't see myself being happier as a second year law student in this economy.

Comments

Pretty standard and seemingly a bit more laid back then peer-schools. In other words, no "WHY NYU" essay, requires less recommendations, doesn't even require a resume, etc.

Date: 2010

Comments

Essays, LSAT, application process

Date: 2010

Comments

Standard online application. There are quite a few scholarships you can apply to at the same time you apply for admission.