School of Law
New York University

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 84 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

incredible clinic opportunities, the ONLY place to study international law in terms of faculty and breadth and depth of offerings, unique academic scholarships with institutions that involve mentoring and opportunities to write your own scholarship, fantastic term time internships, great associated centers in land use, human rights, etc

high cost of living is to be expected, not a ton of space on campus b/c it's in new york, but being downtown is great- it also means you can get a cheap(er) apartment in brooklyn, totally safe

fantastic scholarship opportunities in public interest, international law, law and business, environmental law, academia, etc

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

NYU has an outstanding academic program. Many of the full-time professors are experts in their respective fields, and the school attracts excellent adjunct faculty as well.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

the quality of classes is exceptional. Professors are leaders in their field and are often arguing or consulted in upcoming Supreme Court cases. Some classes are theoretical while others are practical. The school officers a well-balanced curriculum between the two. Research opportunities are frequent for those who want them.

essays, LSAT, GPA

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academics are great, professors even prestigious ones are still very approachable. Clinics and research programs are great, and the fact that there is no rankings or GPA is nice. People really aren't competitive at all, and very normal and helpful. Having the small lawyering class for the whole year (under 25 people) really helps get to know people.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I applied online through the LSAC portal, but I don't remember the application essay topic at all. Financial Aid was straightforward in application, but not easy to come by.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Exceptional, amazing professors. Hard, demanding, but great. Particularly after 1L year.

All of the above.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

quality of classes - Couldn't ask for better professors go as far as how prolific they are; but some are boring.
theory vs. practical study - a manageable mixture of both, especially with professors who mix in real stories from their work experience
the Socratic method - Used, but not to frighten students. Most professors use a panel method to allow for predictability.
academic advising - never dealt with them.
class sizes - can get the size classes you want based on course selection. Some are huge but others are small and personal.
competitiveness - nonexistent.
unique academic programs - clinics, classes with prolific professors who are one of their kind (ie ex Chancellor of the Delaware court)
research opportunities - definitely enough RA and center opportunities
grading - fair but sometimes seems arbitrary. Curve is forgiving and on the "nicer" side.
notable faculty - too many to list. Epstein, Dworkin, Nagel, Waldron, Allen, Miller, Schulhofer, etc.
workload - very manageable. I felt busier as an undergrad.

cost of living - high but not prohibitive. I lived in the dorms first year and it was fine, and cheaper than the apartment I have now. NYC is costly but it is also safe and, in my opinion, the best city in the world.
campus - beautiful!
facilities - beautiful!
library - seems to have everything I need
computer labs - there are enough of these to go around, but almost everyone uses their laptops.
moot courtroom - n/a
housing - see point on cost of living
dining - best food in the world a subway stop away, and cheap options for students.
neighborhood - perfect
community relations - n/a, but nyu as a whole doesn't have the best rep in the village.
crime and safety - never, ever felt uncomfortable around campus
overall happiness - I can't see myself being happier as a second year law student in this economy.

Pretty standard and seemingly a bit more laid back then peer-schools. In other words, no "WHY NYU" essay, requires less recommendations, doesn't even require a resume, etc.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The academics at NYU are truly amazing. Whatever your interest, there is something available. We have incredible clinic opportunities, including working on death penalty cases in Alabama for the school year. We have great faculty who are fantastic mentors and truly interested in working with students on their research and scholarship. The grading is on a strict curve, but it's more of a top heavy curve (hard to get less than a B). The class sizes range from big lectures to tiny seminars, and everyone is very friendly and collaborative. I've loved my experience at NYU!

NYU is in Greenwich Village, one of the best neighborhoods in New York City. The Law School campus is beautiful and has some of the best facilities in the entire university. Housing is close to campus, but many students live off-campus; either in the East Village or in Brooklyn. The neighborhood is safe, fun, and everyone loves it here.

The general application process is pretty straightforward: standard essays, looking for combination of LSAT and GPA, etc. It is important to note, however, there are many interest-specific scholarships (e.g. criminal law, law and econ, public interest, etc.) that have a separate deadline. These scholarships are often full (or close to full) rides, so it's important to get them out!

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

very high quality of professors and classes, as well as other students with broad backgrounds

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I've got great professors, and I've met with billionaires and world leaders in my classes in just the last two weeks.

I only applied to New York schools - Colombia, Fordham, Brooklyn, and NYU. Got into all of them, and liked NYU the best.