Leonard N. Stern School of Business
New York University

4.4 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 24 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

High caliber professors bring innovative programs to students with as much real world experience as possible. There are several classes that are extremely popular (Operations in Las Vegas, Power and Politics, Investment Banking) that always fill up early. Seniority and specialization play strong roles in class lottery.

the facilities are abundant and beautiful. Greenwich Village in Manhattan is the perfect place to study and have a rich cultural experience in the surrounding neighborhood. Being surrounded by the avant-garde is very intellectually stimulating.

Took GMAT (680), wrote 4 essays, provided 3 recommendations. no interview.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Many excellent and famous professors, a mix of case studies vs non-case based coursework, opportunities for hands-on experiences.

The quality of life is excellent. Stern offers a very collaborative environment, where for someone like myself moving from another state, I made friends easily. Also, NYC offers so many opportunities both professionally and personally.

There is one creative component to the essays (it can be art, poetry, etc.).

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are very knowledgeable and accessible. An advantage of being in New York is the fact that many professors are still highly involved in their field so the education is current and relevant.

There is a great collaborative community at Stern. Students are genuinely happy and enjoy spending time with their fellow classmates.

The Stern admissions committee is very committed to finding a class of students that is a good "fit" for the community. This is reflected in Essay #3 which is a personal expression essay and allows for creativity.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I studied with world-renowned professors who were capable of rendering complex material manageable. The work was intense but since the school took care in selecting students we also learned from each other. I felt that upon leaving Stern I made the best decision possible. I also gained a more world economic experience from our study abroad trips that happened once a year unlike Columbia and Wharton that offers the program only once. Stern's reputation of being a finance school is well-deserved and I left with a commanding understanding of finance and Wall Street.

Everything is first class. Stern puts on many programs of all nature. The library is one of the finest I have every used, and there are countless social events to attend. Because NYU has a great performance arts college there is much to chose from in terms of events.

The application required personal statements, various personal and professional essays, and letters of recommendation. These are pretty standard for all schools. What I found most rewarding was the required personal interview and the visit to the classroom. It was here that I learned the difference between Stern and the other business schools, and why it takes pride in selecting a special group of people to attend.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The faculty quality are much higher than my expectation. Famous Professors are teaching MBA classes and highly accessable, such as Professor Roubini and professor Altman who is the godfather of bankruptcy and distress investment. The workload is appropriate so we have a balanced life among study, recruiting and social. Stern's course are very practical and up to date, for example, right ater the crisis, school offered a free course "Financial Crisis" which is taught by more than 10 top professors in different areas. They shared their latest research on the financial crisis which gave us a good understanding of the crisis. A lot of professors are also working on the Wall Street so thay can give us the most updated practice the industy is doing.

The cost of on campus living is high, but it's downtown Manhattan, you cannot blame it. If you want lower the cost of living, you also have a lot of options. Many students lives in Jersey City ot Queens where the cost is much lower. The dorm is well equipped and with Gym downstairs. I think it's very safe around school and it's a great community.

The essay question can test how much passion do you have for Stern and whether you like the community. The admission process starts a little bit late than other schools. The scholarship will be granted automatically, no need to apply separately. GMAT scores are usually high.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Great diversity in thinking, teaching and experience. Class size was never an issue. I felt had access to some of the best academia in North america. I enjoyed both Global Tours. However the second one was most memorable for learnings and applying Global learnings especially Global Economics. The only issue as a non American I would have is there could be more learnings and teachings from outside of North America - a little too inwardly focussed.

Excellent in all regards

Gmat, Experience, References, Eduction - including detailed transcripts of Degrees, Detailed application form, committee selection

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Best class was Advanced Macroeconomics co-taught by Thomas Sargent and Lars Lunqvuist. I also took every negotiations and presentations class that was offered. Classes were almost always excellent. One downside was that in the part-time (eveing & weekend) program, we didn't have access to some of the best professors that only taught during the day. Some classes were more theoretical and some were more practical, so there were opportunities to take both types. There was not a major feeling of competition, however all Finance classes had a 25% maximum that could get an A and A-. All core classes (non-finance) had a 35% A/A- max. I know several people who studied abroad and along with a few other student leaders, I had an opportunity to attend a European MBA event at HEC in Paris. There was a school partnership with Lehman Brothers where students had to be accepted normally but then were able to take core classes at Lehman's office. There were also multlipe case competitions including a very popular one where actual business plans were presented over multiple stages. Winners were selected for one normal business plan and one or two community service based business. Winners received funding for their ideas as well as advice from multiple professional sources.

The third essay question had to be creative. It could be a written essay but could also be another artistic expression such as collage or painting. I believe that interviews are reserved for borderline candidates. I did not have an interview. They say they are looking for a balance of work experience, GMAT, etc when considering candidates. Other schools I considered seemed to put more emphasis on certain areas, whereas Stern was seeking balance.

2009

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I found the quality of professors and fellow students to be incredibly impressive. The full-time program and day classes have a higher caliber of both student and professor. Some classes are large lectures and some are more intimate and more case study oriented. As opposed to some schools that only teach through cases, at Stern each professor chooses the method that best suits the material.

Living in New York is a dream come true. Campus is situated in an amazing part of town and there is a strong effort to utilize the resources that the city has to offer. Obviously the cost of living in New York is one of the highest in the world and one must appreciate and enjoy life in the city to enjoy the area.

The admissions process included the standard GMAT, letters of recommendation and essays including a unique question that allows applicants to describe themselves using whatever medium they choose.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The finance and economics classes are among the best in the world. The strategy and marketing departments are a bit behind, but they are catching up. Stern is making a concerted effort to diversify its strengths, since it has historically been known as a strong finance school. Most class sizes are between 30 and 65. Most classes are a combination of case study and lecture. Stern is NOT competitive, quite the opposite in fact. Everyone is very collaborative, both with academics and recruiting.

Since Stern is in Manhattan, the cost of living is sky high. But being in New York City has so many advantages! We are in the business center of the world and there are unlimited resources at our fingertips. It is also a very fun city to live in - restaurants, bars, theaters, music, etc... The facilities at Stern are mediocre. The building needs to be renovated. Nevertheless, students love their experience at Stern.

Stern's admission standards for the Full-Time program are high. Interviews are conducted on campus by the admissions staff. They are looking for fit. Stern is a very collaborative community. Therefore, we tend to self-select and the admissions department makes sure everyone fits that profile.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Almost all of the professors I've had were very well prepared and articulate. As a part time student I was able to apply many of the concepts I learned in class directly to my job. The school also offers 2 week courses during which students travel to other countries to learn about how business is conducted internationally. These are amazing opportunities to learn about business outside of the classroom.

Question 3 was very interesting. It asked the applicant to submit something that described themselves in an unique way. This could be in the form of an essay or a picture or even clothing. The admission process was relatively straighforward. I was wait listed twice and was accepted the second time as I was able to improve my GMAT score significantly.