Classes

August 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Diverse student body and engaged students, who want to learn.

Lack of commitment by professors and wish the leadership was more involved.

Comments

I think students should think about whether they want to be in a major metro area for school.

Great School with Great People

August 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

The faculty and staff are usually willing to go the extra mile for you if you just ask. Granted, some are better than others; but as a general rule, they are very helpful. I also feel that it is easy to stand out if you work diligently. There are many opportunities to get involved in student organizations and a great alumni network.

It is not T14, but it is still a great school. Every school will have above and below average students. The above average students are generally right on line with what I have seen at other schools that are higher ranked. Many of these chose to attend for economic reasons. However, some of the below average students can cause classes to be taught at a somewhat lower level. On the bright side, this helps with the curve.

Comments

This is a great school for someone who wants a great education without dealing with an overly competitive environment. Students and staff alike are very welcoming and willing to help. I would definitely describe the environment as cooperative.

Loyola Law

April 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Faculty is knowledgeable and engaged; diverse student body; facilities are nice.

Career services could use some improvements but the folks I worked with generally were helpful.

Comments

The school has an extensive alumni network which can be helpful if you want to practice law in Chicago.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class sizes are larger than I had thought, but there is more cooperation than competeitveness; the professors expect much from students but this IS law school; the quality of classes and professors is very high - professors care about academic work as well as personal life. A very positive atmosphere that takes a little of the stress off.

Library and Computer labs are very comfortable and conducive to studying; there are a lot of a students but it remains quiet and a positive work atmosphere - same with computer labs;

Basic application: Form app, personal statement, Transcripts, Letters of Rec; easy through the LSDAS database. Did not apply for scholarships but was given one.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Very satisfied with health law program; about what i expected in terms of core courses.

Generally, the cost of living is very high

Very comprehensive!

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

My professors have included a number of nationally respected academics, and they have all been highly approachable and focused on student learning. Additionally, Loyola provides a 2L 'tutor' for each of the major 1L courses. While much of the 1L curriculum is focused on theory, I found the year-long required writing course provided an intensive and structured approach to the development of my legal writing skills. The overall 1L class is divided into three sections. Each section takes classes separate from the other sections, allowing for a smaller feel within the larger incoming class. Most professors were fairly relaxed about the Socratic method but were quick to turn to it when the class seemed unresponsive. This summer I'll be traveling to Beijing for Loyola's study abroad program, and a number of my friends are taking advantage of Loyola's program in Rome.

Loyola Law is in the heart of downtown Chicago just a few steps off the Magnificent Mile. I love it. Affordable housing is easily available a short commute from campus, though housing in walking distance tends to be pricier (it's Chicago afterall). The school consistently puts money into upgrading facilities, for instance opening this year a gorgeous two-story moot courtroom overlooking the city of Chicago. Chicago has a great bar scene, and the SBA plans 'Bar Review' every Thursday. Students are academically focus, but not cut-throat, the school in general has a positive community vibe.

Admission to Loyola included fairly standard application questions in combination with LSAT scores.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I found the Socratic method to be a joke. I spent most of my time in on facebook and for most of my classes (especially this last year) I couldn't even tell you what I was supposed to have read, let alone what we were talking about on any given day. Had I paid attention, I would probably be extremely well-versed in the law, and many of my classmates are. But my lazy butt usually crams for 2 weeks at the end of the semester and gets at least a B. The bottom line is you get what you give as far as academics go. No one is going to hold your hand and/or make you pay attention.
I will say that the practical classes such as trial practice or any drafting class are extremely valuable. I was originally drawn to Loyola because of its Elder Law Initiative and Elder Law Clinic. The intiative appears to have fizzled as of summer 2009 and the clinic was disbanded at that time, too. So that was a bust. However, I was able to participate in the Community Law Center Clinic and that was a great experience. If you have an interest in getting experience in a particular area, Loyola will try to make it happen for you.

This is an expensive town, books are expensive, we share the facility with the school of business and an undergraduate library, so that's annoying, the library is a decent place to study, the computers in the lab are virus-ridden and ancient, the newly-renovated ceremonial courtroom is georgous but the sun gets in your eyes during afternoon classes (it also seems way too big to be considered a courtroom - more like a congressional chamber), you live in Chicago which I consider to be awesome, if you are careful you'll be safe. I am overall happy with the school and my choice to go there.

Unable to recall anything out of the ordinary. I took the LSAT and scored in the high-median range of what Loyola accepted that year. I filled out an application and submitted a personal statement. I was able to do it throught the LSAC website. I recieved an alumni grant of $8,000 per year, which came to about a 25% discount on tuition.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The application process was very straight forward. I applied through LSAC/LSDAS. Because I submitted the application online, the fee was waived. The essays were generic law school essays. The one unique aspect that I encountered was being asked to justify my LSAT scores because I had a discrepancy of greater than 4 points between two exams. Likewise, the office of admissions gives out scholarships based on applications without any additional applications.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

It depends on the profesor. Some classes were theoretical while others were practical. Socratice method is heavily enforced your first year. After that again it depends on the professor but for the most part the Socratic method isn't used as often after that. People aer competitive but like most schools pretend they are not.

Is expensive to live in downtown Chicago but if you live further from school it's ok. No real campus. Some of the facilities have been recently updated but others remain antiquated. Computer labs are good. I wish there were more. Moot courtroom is new. Housing is across the street from the law school but you are housed with undergraduate students. Law students should have their own housing. Never ate at the school. Neighborhood is safe because it's in the Gold Coast. Water Tower campus is safe but there is a lot of crime in the undergraduate campus. Overall my experience with Loyola is ehhh.

I am unfamiliar with the admission process.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The Socratic method is really only dominant during the first year of classes. It really isn't too much to worry about, as everyone gets used to it. Students here aren't overtly competitive. No one will try to sabotage another's chances at a good grade here. People go out of their way to help one another, if anything.

The school is a bit pricey. It's a job moreso than undergrad, so I don't really use the amenities.