Great Practical Training

November 2018 | FORMER STUDENT

Great legal writing program. The intellectual property program is top notch.

Like most schools outside of the t14, it can be challenging to find a biglaw job, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Comments

There are great opportunities to connect with alumni to help with informational interviews or just give general career guidance.

Average Law School with some pros and cons

November 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

Legal Writing, interesting and practical elective courses, and smart professors

Career services, large class size, school's brand and reputation in the legal community

Comments

You need to receive really good grades and a high GPA during your first year of law school. Obtaining great grades during your second and third year of law school will only marginally change your GPA, even if you get straight A's.

overall good

overall good

Toefl, resume

There are a wide range of teaching techniques utilized per class, depending on the professor. Most classes are taught socratically, with the addition of practical hypos. The 1L class sizes are about 70 people, but very manageable. No one is lost in the crowd.

In the heart of Chicago, the school is safe and students enjoy studying together in group rooms.

Required a personal statement in addition to a decently high LSAT score.

In my feeling, Chicago-Kent is really a good place for practice lawyer to study. They (the Professors in Chicago-Kent) always tell you the things not only the theory but also the remedies in practice, and most of them all have the well expriences in specific legal areas. My program is Financial Services Law, I am really enjoyed in my study here. But they have a strict grades, so you should study harder to get a good grades or you may fell. And when you already be the student of Chicago-Kent, you may have other good opportunities to go study in other Countries, like China.

I am living at Chicago downtown because law school of IIT- Chicago-Kent is in downtown. That's really wonderful time for me. I have good view of the Lake Mishigan, and the city is also beautiful, activities. There are lots of best restaurants and bars around. However, as a student of law school in the US, the most time of mine is in the Library. The library of Chicago-Kent is the best place to study, you will feel the great when you see all of the books. And the stuff there were very kindly to give you any suggestions what you asked. Overall, I love to stay here, fell safety, peaceful, and hopeful.

I have had unique application questions, submitted my personal essays, law school transcripts(LL.B). Because of my program is LL.M, so only TOEFL score is required no LSAT, application process including have at least two person to give recommended letters, and because I am a practice lawyer in China, so there is a law firm approvle letter needed. For financial aid and scholarship opportunities, Chicago-Kent has give me a good chance for the first semester (almost 10 thousand dollars) and a discount for the second semester.

Other

First year was probably better than most other school. Our professors knew when we had an assignment coming up so they would not call on anyone the day before that assignment was due. This took some of the stress off from being a 1L.

Chicago-Kent is located in downtown (west loop). It does not have a dorm. Crime and Safety is not an issue at the school. There are many fast food restaurants located near the school. The Library is beautiful but I must say that most research is done online, making the time I actually spent in the library very minimal.

The application did not require anything more than any other law school. I, for some strange reason, did not get my admission letter until the summer. I called to find out why it was so late, and the admission people told me that it was at the end of their cycle and not late.

A lot of my professors have worked in practice in firms or clerking for judges, so they can impart a lot of practical wisdom to their classes. One of my professors clerked for Justice Breyer on the Supreme Court, and hearing her stories from that experience really adds to the class dynamic. Most professors also focus on theory, though.

I was admitted to the Honors Scholars program, which gives me a full-tuition scholarship for three years, plus a $10,000 / year living stipend. (I take out the rest of my living expenses through loans, but the stipend is a grant that does not have to be repaid.) To apply for the scholarship you must have an LSAT score of 165 or above and you must submit a specific essay detailing why you want to be admitted to the program.

Overall, the level of instruction makes for a quality education. Occasionally class discussions get a little more academic/theoretical than is absolutely necessary. The Socratic method is used variably. Some instructors use it in its purest form, while others run class entirely on a volunteer basis. Many if not most fall somewhere between the two extremes. While everyone knows they are in competition with one another, few students actually act that way. There is a general willingness to help out classmates when needed because everyone understands that we are not only classmates now, but will be colleagues in the future.

The school does not have residential facilities for its law students. The school has a suggested housing partner not far from campus, a partnership that anyone who lives there would suggest the school abandon. The building is essentially a dorm, full of undergrads partying loudly all nights of the week. Additionally, the management of the building have apparently overcharged students for utilities; when students asked for a breakdown of their charges (as produced by the utility company), management was unable to provide any numbers that resembled those they had charged their residents. The only reflection this has on the school, however, is in the school's continued partnership with the apartment complex. Personally, I live in a neighborhood a few miles north of the school and couldn't be happier.

The school seems pretty generous when it comes to scholarships, at least for students above the median.

The classes are fairly competitive. There are some students that tend to lag behind. First year has a heavy focus on the Socratic method, but not so much the 2nd year. Class sizes are large first year, but they got much smaller after that. There are pleanty of programs and clinics to get involved with. Most profs need research assistants over the summer, and top students get involved in the Honors Program, which provides even more hands-on research. The faculty can be googled, so google them. Workload is a ****.

Standard application process. It is necessary to have a good essay, especially if you are bellow median. The school is a little slow with a decission. There are plenty of scholarship opprotunities, but be prepaired for a GPA stipulation.

I would take off one mark only because I had some profs who either didn't want to be teaching their course, or were actually not good teachers - but I'm certain one would find this at even the best schools. The vast majority of the profs I learned from were excellent. I chose Kent over other area schools in part based on the fantastic credentials of many of the faculty, including the profs who direct the Environmental program. I have not been disappointed.

There are residences near campus, but the "campus" itself is a single building, no "on campus" residence available. I always lived at least 45 minutes away by El train. Cost of living can be as low as you want; my monthly rent in Irving Park is $1090 (1bedroom). Produce is expensive in the Midwest compared to the West coast, but most other grocery is not. My main complaint about "quality of life" at Kent was its remoteness from the IIT main campus, where the gym/pool/fields are. It's only a half hour trip but there aren't any law school rec teams or anything, which I missed. Safety is great; the school is downtown, very safe and clean. You can choose your neighborhood, there are tons within an hour of downtown. Students are pretty relaxed; I didn't experience any of the cutthroat, sabotage stories you hear about at the big schools. 1L year sucks everywhere, but most students found their way into study groups of various sizes (mine had 6 people), and have each others' backs. Computer labs had plenty of computers, but Kent had numerous connectivity issues while I was there. Hopefully that's been permanently corrected with the server switch a few months ago (no problems since then). I hope Kent switches over to Gmail; as it is, students have to give up their campus IDs a couple months after graduation, which is a huge pain in the ass, even for student groups trying to keep in touch with alums.

Kent accepts students with fairly low GPAs and LSAT scores; with a 165 I was in the top 75th percentile for LSAT, which I did not expect at all. I was lucky on the GPA acceptance though because I went to a Canadian school that marks on a percentage scale instead of point system and I've heard it's comparatively easier to keep a high GPA at a lot of colleges in the US. I've heard that the rankings depend up to 25% on the school's admissions process so I'm hopeful those standards will rise over time as Kent rises in the rankings (now at 61! Watch out UIUC!)