Law Center
Georgetown University

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 177 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

Amazing range of professors and courses--that's the advantage of being a large school in DC. Most of the professors have practiced or are practicing, so they have a more interesting perspective on the law than your standard legal academic.

Standard--LSAT, grades, essays, recommendations, etc.

Incredibly gifted faculty, including good mix of career academics and practicing (adjunct) professors. That gave the school a breadth of courses available to the students, including those geared towards practical skills and training. Best school in DC so gets the best choice of local talent (which is formidable) to teach at the school on adjunct basis.

School is near Capitol Hill, not in the Georgetown area of DC. That is a drawback. However, very nice and recently expanded campus with all the amenities. Great student body cohesion - always felt like I was part of a community. First year dorm (Gewirtz) is great option for 1Ls, as you get to live right on campus and also have good way to meet lots of new people quickly. Facilities are really top notch, including state of the art library and brand new student center. Great energy and enthusiasm among my classmates. Nice social events through school at all the right times.

At the time (which was 1996), the application process consisted of an application, personal statements, letters of recommendation, LSAT.

There was a mix. Great professors and lecturers in generally small classes after 1L (appx. 10), Professors were open and served as mentors, Highly rigorous and intelligent, but not competitive students. There were foreign study and cross-disciplinary options. Classes focuses on both theory and the practical.

Great. Students and faculty are great.

Essay question, LSAT (seemingly around 170 plus), GPA (around 3.7)

1L classes are big (110 students). Outside of the building block classes (e.g. Con Law, Evidence, Corporations), the 2L and 3L classes are pretty small. 3L year I had a tax policy class with 10 people. A Supreme Court class with 14 people. A trial practice class with 6 people. And a 14th Amendment class with 20 people.
Academically, Georgetown has two huge advantages over most law schools: course offerings and location. Georgetown is a big law school. Because of its size, Georgetown offers a large and diverse schedule of courses. This means that there is something for everyone. This also means that there are quite a few specialty courses in darn near any area of the law that might interest someone. Georgetown's location in DC means that Georgetown can feature courses, professors, and speakers that no other school can. Many, if not most, Supreme Court advocates moot their cases at Georgetown's Supreme Court Institute in the weeks before their cases goes before the Supreme Court. Congressmen, Senators, and other political types are frequently on campus for speaking engagement - House Intelligence Select Committeemember Jane Harman was on a panel discussing national security; Arlen Spector spoke; GULC alum Patrick Leahy was there a few times; the Israeli Ambassador spoke; Alberto Gonzalez made some waves; etc.
I never saw, nor heard of, any instance of negative competitiveness at Georgetown. People there are smart. They will kick your butt academically if you are not working hard. At the same time, most people view law school as a cooperative learning environment - people share their notes, they help you out if you don't get something, they don't try to screw you over or hide books or anything.
Lastly, perhaps the best part of the Georgetown is the huge offering of clinical programs. I did a year-long clinic during my 2L year and another year-long clinic during my 3L year. They were fantastic. You can represent criminal defendants, you can help draft legislation, you can write briefs for the Court of Appeal for the District of Columbia Circuit, you can teach legal concept to high school students, you can work in family law, you can work in environmental law. Great selection and awesome experience.

Living on campus was incredibly convenient - most especially because Georgetown has an absolutely fantastic on-campus fitness center with a weight room, basketball court, pool, racquetball court.
A dorm room is a dorm room to me. I lived in a triple. Good-sized kitchen. Two baths. Decent-sized room. Cable, wi-fi, all the good stuff. Over-priced (probably a $200/month premium for living on campus). With a little research, a person can get a better place in a cooler neighborhood for less.
Georgetown is not really in a neighborhood. Rather is sits in between Chinatown (cool) and Capital Hill (cool).

Preface: I applied seven years ago, my memory of the application itself is foggy and the admissions process has changed. I do not recall anything super specific about the GULC application vis-a-vis the other schools. Each school's application seemed to be quite similar, except for the wording of their supplement essay question. GULC did not interview when I applied. They are aggressively expanding the interview program with the intent of interviewing most of the applicants - i.e. everybody outside of the best qualified and the underqualified.

Top of the profession professors from a research and teaching side. Location in D.C. provides for excellent access to adjunct and full time professors active in business, legal, and legistative interests.

Excellent library and facilities; moot court second to none. Best city in the country in which to attend law school

Typical for elite law school (LSAT, unique application questions and essays, financial aid, etc)

Very demanding professors, but a fantastic experience. Even the most "intimidating" professors (and I put that in quotes, as some have developed a rather entertaining classroom persona) are happy to answer questions. I never had trouble finding professors who were willing to engage in discussion - even when I wasn't in their particular class. You always hear rumors about competitiveness, but that was never an issue for me. There were so many opportunities for unique experiences - amazing professors, study abroad, clinics, etc.

Like most schools, the LSAT score and your prior grades are important. However, Georgetown places a lot of emphasis on getting past the numbers and getting to know more about the applicants. Several years ago Georgetown started an interview program whereby alumni around the country will interview applicants that the Admissions Committee would like to know more about. It's a fantastic program and has given many the opportunity to attend Georgetown that might not have happened if it the Admissions Committee didn't have such an interest in looking past just the numbers.

Excellent clinic programs.

Cost of living high. Facilities are excellent. The law school campus has recently undergone major additions and renovations. The main building was expanded and renovated. The library is top-notch. There is an new international law center and library. There is a relatively new "dorm" building that features apartments available on a lottery basis to students of all years. There is a new student center featuring a really great gymnasium and swimming pool facility. And there is nice outdoor space.

Uses college grades, LSAT and has started alumni interview program.

Terrific faculty in an unparalleled setting, just a short walk to the Capitol, the Supreme Court and the D.C. Circuit. Teaching was outstanding, coupled with a faculty that was active in some of the most important cases then pending in the Supreme Court.

I think the school was a happy place to be; I certainly loved it. The neighborhood at the time was a disaster, but it is now a lovely area.

Filled out application and took LSAT.

Excellent.

The professors hold students to high standards, but the atmosphere is still collegial.