Law Center
Georgetown University

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (177 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

The environment is intense- incredibly competitive, people are always trying to psych each other out. I've talked to friends at other law schools (Berkeley, Harvard) who don't experience that at all. I think it's especially bad at Georgetown.

The dorm is a great option for meeting people when you first arrive, and it's nice to have everything housing-related taken care of during your first year. The environment of the dorm becomes a little intense around finals though- being around all those other 1Ls, all the time...it can be a little much.

Comments

The one unique aspect of my application process to Georgetown was that I had to do an interview with a GULC alumn. I went to his office, and it was very informal, but following the interview I was put ont he 'preferred waitlist'. Not too sure how the two things were related. I eventually got off of the waitlist in late April.

Date: 2011

Great campus facilities, the fitness center is fantastic and the libraries (two!) are great--with all the resources you could ever need, and more. There are many moot courtrooms, including the Supreme Court Institute where almost all of the cases that reach the Supreme Court are mooted by one side prior to argument. Dining options are great and the school is very safe with our own local police/security force.

Comments

High LSAT scores required, open personal statement essay, limited financial aid or scholarship opportunities.

Date: 2011

Heavy theory, good quality Socratic method, large but focused lectures, very small, intense seminars, opportunities to research with professors for pay.

Excellent facilities - new buildings, clean, great cafeteria/cafe, world class libraries (plural!).

Comments

Essays, LSAT

Date: 2011

extremely high quality and stimulating overall. Good balance between theory and practical study. An very large number of course options and teaching styles: lecture classes, seminars, etc., Professors were passionate about their subjects and highly expert.

Overall happiness: very high. Excellent facilities. Large, diverse student body. Best for strong people who know what they want.

Date: 2011

There was a variety for everyone. There was a smaller class first year as well as small groups for legal writing. I was able to take small classes with amazing professors that literally made the laws about which we studied. The criminal justice clinic prepared me more for litigation than anything in private practice. I worked one-on-one with many professors for various projects, papers, etc.

Fabulous apartment building on campus, even better now with amazing gym and cafe.

Date: 2011

Students were quite collaborative/ non-competitive. First year classes were large, but advanced courses were much smaller. The school had lots of opportunities for internships in and around Washington DC, which helped me get a job after school. The couses were a good mix of theory and practice and used a modified Socratic method.

Quality of life has greatly improved since I graduated based on the upgrading of facilities and the redevelopment of the campus neighborhood (which is unrelated to the school). At the time safety was just okay and most students lived up and down the metro line, socializing and studying off-campus in a handful of popular neighborhoods. There are more opportunities keeping students close to campus now, though the cost of living is exceptionally high.

Comments

LSAT, grades, essays, resume

Date: 2011

Georgetown offers a unique academic program -- "Section B" -- for those seeking to look beyond the law to sophisticated matters of policy and theory. These first year courses are more rigorous, but offer a phenominal experience for those students interested in truly understanding the origins and effects of the law and legal systems. Georgetown's clinical programs are also incredibly well developed and diverse, offering students an array of real-world experiences. The school also has a terrific public interest career services office -- wholly separate from the traditional career services office -- that supports students interested in opportunities, whether professional or personal, to give back.

Much has changed and improved since my time as a student.

Date: 2011

Comments

Huge number of applicants, but each still given consideration. Review of almuni, faculty.

Date: 2011

I was able to communicate with faculty at all times, when needed, whether in person or via email. They were very responsive and involved in the students' learning progress. In general, students are very dedicated so the level of class discussion is usually high. Classes are practical in general, mostly reflecting a case law scenario were students face the challenges to argue for and against, with legal grounds learned from reading materials in advance to the class. Sizes vary depending on class type (mandatory or elective). Size does not alter the quality of teaching. Workload is heavy. Grading is curved-based and exams are challenging.

I have had a very positive experience, though I lived off-campus. Facilities are well-maintained and dining is affordable and convenient. There is an on site IT office to provide assistance to students when needed.

Comments

High grades from a respected college; work experience; community service involvement; public interest; interview; interest in academia; life experience and achievements; ability to overcome difficulties; high admission test scores.

Date: 2011

Georgetown has an exceptional faculty, both full time and adjunct, drawn fro academia, government, NGOs and private practice. Georgetown is a leader in offering clinical programs in all areas to provide students with "hands on" experience. Faculty members constantly interact with students outside the classroom.

The school has on-campus housing, an amazing fitness center and state-of-the-art moot courtrooms and libraries. The neighborhood is safe and there is good security.

Comments

Georgetown goes beyond the numbers to look at academic, employment and other "real world" experience. It examines the personal statements and essays as part of the process. The school also provides significant financial aid opportunities.