Solid Preparation

March 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

I was well prepared for practice after I graduated from Emory.

I would have enjoyed a larger variety of corporate practice classes.

Comments

Emory is a great choice if you want to practice in Atlanta or New York. A bit harder to find immediate work outside those regions, but still possible.

Great School

January 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

Professors care about students and go out of their way to help them find employment
Not a cut throat environment

The career services department is terrible. The reality is that students need to do a lot of legwork to find employment

Comments

While located in GA, it is definitely a feeder school for big national markets. Students passionate about staying in GA may want to consider UGA. That being said, it has a very strong national reputation.

Emory is the best place to study law seriously!

July 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

Very challenging environment. Professors are very exacting and passionate about law.

Very competitive environment. Any "B" grades are actually deserve to be straight "A".

Comments

You need to be sure that you want to devote all of your time (really - all!) to study law here.

my USA memory

November 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

beautiful school scene
good professors
friendly enviroment
nice classmates and lectures

does not provide career service for international students
doest not have oppotunity in NY job fair

Comments

the rank is high in US news, which will help a lot when finding jobs

Great Practical and Experiential Learning

July 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

Transactional program provides great practical instruction in real-life transations

OCI offerings are very weak, limited opportunities in Atlanta and NY for on campus interviews.

Comments

Very stress free, no competition law school environment, in a fun, cheap city with fair career prospects and a brand-name degree. But still many obstacles to overcome. Administration is constantly working on fixing issues as they come up and address problems head on with the help of students. Very transparent administration.

Wonderful School!

March 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Great faculty, great location in heart of Atlanta! Excellent career services department.

Emory is very expensive. If you are looking to practice in Georgia, UGA may be your best option.

Comments

Emory has a diverse student body and a national presence that places people in firms in NY, DC, Boston, LA and elsewhere.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Notable faculty; modified Socratic; unique clinics

Neighborhood is amazing; social life wonderful.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academic opportunity is really exceptional. They offer joint programs with, MBA, MPH, Masters of Theological Studies, Masters in Divinity and PhD programs, too. I am a JD/PhD student with the Women's Studies department, which is a very exceptional program. The Feminism and Legal Theory Project, directed by Martha Fineman is phenomenal. But the curriculum caters to more practical work, too. There are many opportunities in Housing and Community development law, as well as a number of awesome field placements around the community. The school also has a transactional law certificate. A lot of people do it, but I have no idea what it entails b/c I'm not personally interested in it.

Cost of living as comparatively VERY low for a metropolitan area. Atlanta is fantastic. Facilities are probably what you'd get at any law school that would accept Emory students. The overall happiness factor is probably higher than most b/c Atlanta is really great and the school is very friendly. I mean, law school can be miserable, but Emory does a good job of caring about making it as good as it could be. I really don't like our website, though.

The Woodruff Scholarship is an amazing opportunity for very talented students. I believe they award roughly three a year. Generally it is awarded to people who have demonstrated a commitment to public interest-type work, or who have excelled in a particular field.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The vast majority of classes are of exceptional quality. Emory has the outstanding attribute of having professors who are both top quality, prolific scholars in their fields and love teaching students. Emory professors are widely recognized as among the best in their fields. The professors publish in the top journals and serve important positions on both academic and practical legal bodies. Teaching classes is not an afterthought for Emory professors. Emory professors are excited about their classes, they convey that excitement to their students, and they strive to ensure that their students get the most out of every class. Emory professors push their students to understand the law in ways the students did not know they were capable of. Professors are also delighted to have students come by outside of class to further explore the subject matter of class.
The Socratic method is used in many classes, especially first year classes. However, based on conversations with students from other law schools, the Socratic method is used in a much softer and constructive way. Students are not reduced to tears by the Socratic method as happens at other schools.
Both the administration and the faculty provide class wide and individual academic advising. Students who desire in-depth advising can get that from their assigned facutly advisor or any faculty member. The faculty are often in their office with their door open and will drop what they are doing to provide advice to students. I have had several conversations over an hour in length with my facutly advisor about what classes to take, how to do well in school, clerkships, and my career goals.
The school provides an assortment of quality externships and clinics. These programs are vital in preparing students to actually practice law. I have participated in both a clinic and an externship and found that I learned much about the actual practice of law that I would not have been able to learn in a classroom. Emory's location in Atlanta, the governmental and commercial center of the South, allows Emory to offer a variety of externships from bankruptcy judges to Fortune 500 companies to the local public defender's office.
While Emory students are serious about their academics and strive to do their best, the students are generally easy going and supportive of one another. The competitiveness of Emory students never causes the school's community to become tense or unhealthy. Students freely share outlines, provide class notes to students who missed class, form study groups, and help other students. Students do not hide library books or try to disrupt other students' studies in any way.

The admissions process involves application questions, personal essay, LSAT score, and an application. Students are able to get financial aid with ease. A large number of students are given scholarships ranging from less than half of tuition to the full costs of tuition. Emory places a large emphasis on providing scholarships to qualified students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Quality of life is awesome. Druid Hills is beautiful and the apartments around campus are brand new and very affordable.

Typical application process (personal statement, LSAT, LSAC report)