School of Law
Duke University

4.3 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (6 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

The classes have been amazing. The Socratic method varies from professor to professor, but none will try to embarrass a student. While it is competitive, it's also a very laid back community of students. No one is tearing pages out of books, and if you miss a class you'll have plenty of offers from people to share notes. As for our faculty, they are amazing. Jim Cox is one of the leaders in the fields of corporate law and securities regulation. He teaches both classes and makes himself available to his students. Joseph Blocher is a young constitutional law professor who will probably be a huge name in the field someday.

Cost of living in Durham is pretty great. Almost no one lives on campus at the law school, but there are a plethora of affordable housing options in the area. Durham is not the safest city, but it is no more dangerous than some of the big cities in the country, and as long as you keep your eyes open and are smart about it, there's nothing to worry about. The facilities at the law school are fantastic. The library has everything a law student needs and is filled with natural light from floor to ceiling windows. The research librarians all have JDs and are unbelievably good at finding even the most obscure research materials. Duke's campus is open to law students, giving us access to a great gym, many dining options, and, of course, legendary Cameron Indoor Stadium for Duke basketball games.

Comments

Pretty standard application process for a T-14 school, good scholarship opportunities.

Date: 2011

Comments

I suppose a notable thing about Duke Law's application process is the priority track program that gives you an admissions decision within 10 days of application completion, if you qualify for it.

Date: 2011

Quality of life at Duke is amazing. THe weather is gorgeous, the people are friendly and the Durham community is young, energetic and vibrant. There is a great nightlife between Durham and Chapel Hill and the cost of living is extremely low and affordable.

Date: 2011

Classes are very good. Professors are highly accessible. I am excited to have smaller classes next year with more opportunities for interaction with faculty. That is my only complaint, some classes were too large.

Durham is cheap. There's not a hell of a lot to do but enough to keep me busy without being too distracting. Good food and music scenes.

Comments

Awful

Date: 2011

Comments

LSAT, GPA, Personal Statement, Letters of Recommendation. There's also an optional "Why Duke" essay. All applicants should write this, as I think the admissions committee values people who have articulated reasons for wanting to attend Duke.

Date: 2011

Teaching is generally theory and policy heavy since students will be taking so many different bars. Workload is very heavy on reading and your grade is always just one test per class.

Campus and Durham are wonderful. Definitely a plus even from someone who never thought they'd want a college campus feel. It's cheap, people at stores and offices are friendly and gracious, and you can get great organic food! It's never too crowded anywhere and it's never stressful except inside the law school walls.

Comments

There is an optional essay about why you chose Duke and I think it's worth doing, especially if you want scholarships. They are quite generous with grants, I got offered $20,000/year without any minimum GPA requirement.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)