2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The work load is intensive. A 15 credit hour semester is challenging yet fulfilling. The professors demand outstanding work and participation in class. Since the class sizes are so small, discussion is a critical part of most classes. Unacceptable work is not tolerated.

The application process was rather standard for most colleges. A unique feature was the personal statement that allowed you to explore the underlying reason you wanted to attend college, more specifically Wells.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

At Wells, the general requirements are well rounded. There are core classes that everyone must take, which include and experience class where one learns about Wells and what it has to offer. There is also a first-year writing seminar class in which students learn to write at the college level. Additionally student must take a swimming test or class and take a wellness physical education class. Wells students in order to graduate must complete a Thesis, and two experiential learning, which can include study abroad or internships/jobs. Study abroad is one of the greatest programs we have at Wells where students can study abroad while paying the Wells college tuition price. Its more affordable than most schools.

Majors are very different at Wells, but all require a Thesis-- or senior research project where students conduct their own research through the advisement of their advisors. At Wells you can choose your advisor and major advisor when you declare your major at the end of your sophomore year. Most majors require an internship in the field, which works out perfectly fine because the general requirements listed above.

The class sizes are small to medium, the largest class being close to 40 or 50 students. Generally these classes are the ones that are offered at an introductory level. Most class sizes are between 12-20 students. I have even had classes with less than that. Because the class sizes are small faculty can really get to know their students. This helps with advising and overall mentoring. Professors at Wells really want everyone to succeed and work to be available outside of class for any reason, and most often give you their cell phone numbers! Most also live in town and invite students over to their homes for research meetings etc.

Competitiveness is more prevalent in some majors rather than others. Wells is heavily based on individual work, with the Thesis and Comprehensive Exams. The atmosphere isn't cut-throat, but everyone does want to do well and a lot of students leave Wells to go on to Graduate School.

The workload at Wells is rigorous. There are papers and tests and projects to be completed, and the finals and midterms are tough. Wells students learn the most about time management and can manuvere around such a work load. While daunting at first, the task gets easier as you continue through your education. I have honestly benefitted from having a heavy workload at Wells.

Common Application, Early Decision and Early Action, Scholarship opportunities as Juniors in high school, most applied for through Guidance Counselor.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academics and faculty are the best features that Wells has to offer. Most professors, especially tenured professors, have a terminal degree. The professors are AMAZING! I spent hours in my advisors office pondering over indifference curves. The professors are really there for their students, and I believe the academics are definitely a step above state schools, etc.

The housing is really awesome. I lived in all the buildings except for GP (Glen Park which is Henry Wells' mansion). I especially loved Weld and Main. The library is a great place to study (that where I did all of my work), and the librarians are always willing to help. The neighborhood couldn't be better since it's in a small rural area on a gorgeous lake with very little crime. You will want a car or know someone with a car because Auburn is 25 minutes away and Ithaca is 45 minutes away, and the vans no longer run as often as they used too. Wells College is called the "Wells Bubble," and for sanity's sake, it is necessary to go for a drive or shopping to get out of the "Bubble" occasionally. There is a party life to an extent (people getting drunk and going to "parties") which I participated in my freshman and part of sophomore year, but I really avoided that scene after my first year and a half. It is easily avoidable. If you are looking for the party scene, Cornell has frats and if you know the right people then you can usually get an invite (which is what we did my freshman/sophomore years).
One complaint: The dining services recently changed hands from Sodexo to Aurora Inn, Inc (a subsidiary of the college which is bleeding the college dry). At first, the food improved (which isn't hard since Sodexo food was horrendous since we had the cheapest plan with them). After a while, however, the food started degrading and the food began to be the same thing over and over again. They were trying to fee us on $5 per student per day which is even less than what Sodexo had been doing. So,I don't know how good the food will be next year. Hopefully better but I have my doubts. Also, with Sodexo, the Sommer Center at least had normal hours, but this past semester it was closed a lot more than it was open and the selection for food was down. (The Sommer Center is the only place on campus to get food after 7pm). There is Dories which stays open until 10pm during school year hours, and you could apply your $100 gift card to dories this past semester which was nice (as well as the Sommer Center, the Market, and the Fargo).

I qualified for the Henry Wells Scholarship (which is now a better scholarship than it was when I got it since the tuition hikes), so I did not have to write an essay. Also, if a student is male, they were a shoo-in for the college. The admissions department is desperate to raise enrollment, and they have decidedly changed the school's character. I loved Wells College but the Wells that I just left is not the Wells that I came into 4 years ago because of the fluid administration.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Rigorous, but we get to know the faculty extremely well. I love love love the small class sizes.

Housing and dining are AMAZING! Very little to no crime.

There are no cutoff scores. The application process was easy.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

We have a lot of general requirement more than most schools. The work load can be very demanding at times and you really have to budget time. professor expect a lot from the student and most faculty have doctorates. Studying abroad is a great opportunity at Wells, students aid transfers with the many affiliated programs offered. for internships the Alumni base is great really connecting students everywhere in top tier jobs, usually only available to graduate students.

it's small so everyone knows each other. the secuiryt could be better and is being worked on. the food is still improving. the area is in a small town so not a bad area. the happiness i would say is average.

the admissions process is very easy to follow. you meet with actual graduates who guide perspective students through all of the steps that must be taken. Aid is very good most student receive a grant and Wells does it's best to cut the cost in half.

very academically challenging

Interview, good recruiting stategy

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I have almost nothing negative to say about academic programs at Wells. My only concern was that in the music department, there are very few faculty and the program is very limited. But I loved how willing the professors were to help their students and how much they wanted to see them succeed. I had a few negative experiences with particular faculty members, but on the whole, I thought academics were great. Obviously, we are a small college, so some programs and majors are limited, but we do very well with what we have.

The food is awful, but the people are generally nice. Obviously it can be trying to attend a school so far away from a city or real town, but it's absolutely gorgeous here on campus. The library is very limited in its selection of books and I wish they had actual novels and leisure reading material. I also tend to find both campus safety/security and the medical center pretty incompetent. The medical center isn't even open on weekends and some of the receptionists are extremely rude. The response time and knowledge of the security department is often laughable.

When I applied, students were required to complete either the Common Application or the special Wells application. I believe interviews were optional and recommended, but not required. Early decision and early action are both options and there are opportunities to apply for several financial aid scholarships, both through Wells and high schools, as well as outside institutions. To be honest, I can't remember very well at this point the application process, as it was four years ago. I know that in order to gain an upper hand because I really wanted to come to Wells, I submitted both the common application and the Wells application, as well as a cover letter and a current picture of myself.