Wash U

August 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

Great faculty and facilities. The school has wonderful programs in many different fields

Connection with the greater St. Louis area is lacking. Diversity and integration of student groups is lacking.

Comments

Great school in a city that is really underrated. The campus is beautiful and the faculty is world class.

An excellent four years, academically and socially

July 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

The people are friendly and the staff is genuinely concerned about your wellbeing

The name recognition, although this is getting better. I suppose as the school raises/maintains its rankings, it will continue to be more recognizable

Comments

Definitely go visit, if you feel like you "fit" then go! It is a school where you will be extremely happy, I haven't heard of one person that regrets going.

Wash U

July 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are brilliant and very helpful. The campus is beautiful.

The students are very entitled. There's an elitist atmosphere.

Comments

If you want to be challenged academically and don't mind a slightly stuck up student body, Wash U is great. Also, the athletics are basically non-existent.

core classes by program/school
superb academic advising
average class size of 17 overall
business average class size slightly more (from what I can tell)
many opportunities for research
it's very competitive to get into WashU, but once you get here, everyone tries to be the best student possible--not to compete against other students. students compete against themselves
many study abroad opportunities

wonderful housing (temperpedic mattresses)
bathrooms are cleaned twice per week
campus has unique, academic feel, which I like
wonderful library -- large with study accommodations for every type of studier
very safe campus
I love being at WashU. My overall happiness is incredibly high.

standard application
early decision due Nov 15
regular decision due Jan 15
merit and need-based cholarships

For arts and sciences, they use the "discovery curriculum". The discovery curriculum includes a system of clusters, courses that complement each other for broader or deeper learning. Clusters must be taken in various categorie to fulfill distribution requirements. 75% or more of classes are 24 students or less, as far as I know. Grading is pretty tough, everybody at WashU is quite intelligent, also shown by the heavy workload.

Overall, the 10 does everything justice. I live at a resort. Enough said.

The application can be done from the common application. As for financial aid, there are programs for that, mainly need based scholarships

Degree requirements make for a strong foundation, advising for school, major, and generic 4-year advisers, professors are accessible, class size is small/manageable (20-is the average) students are not competitive one another, the school truly feels like a community. Professors are accessible and want to help students in any way they can. Workload is rigorous...but studnets at EwashU know how to balance academics, co-curriculars, and a social life.

Living is top of the line, brand new temperpedic (sp?) Mattresses, awesome freshman floor experience, the facilities are always clean, the community is both studious and happy. Midterms are stressful for most students but there are resources available for help. Crime is not an issue on campus. Keep your doors locked and be responsible for your own belongings.

Common application, no additional essays, ED option, regular admission, both financial aid and scholarship opportunities

Great academics. All profs have PHDs and are really approachable. Classes are tiny average of 15 students!

Literally everyone here is so happy. We have such a high quality of life. I am sometimes stressed out but never unhappy.

Common application, SAT, SAT IIs, ACT, scholarships, interviews

The only required class is Writing 1 to get students acclimated to the new writing environment in college. Other than that students are required to fill a certain number of credits spanning across distribution areas such as natural sciences, social sciences, writing intensive, qualitative analysis and social differentiation. Most majors require the typical pre-requisites and about 15 credits worth of upper level courses. The class size is on average about 18 people but the larger introductory courses span from 300 (the largest) to about 100 but they break down into smaller subsections. All professors have office hours as well as TA's where they keep their doors open for any student to just walk in. Students at Wash U aren't competitive and even are enthusiastic about helping others and making sure their peers succeed just as much as they want to. The grading can at times be very difficult and not make sense but overall it is fair. The workload can become excessive at times and departments don't always communicate which results in many large assignments due at the same time.

The housing is beautiful and creates great floor communities. The facilities are all amazing and are top notch for all students and faculty. The food is some of the best I've had at any college campus and is top notch. The school apparently hires chefs from the Culinary Institute of America just to make the food. There are times where students do not feel as safe as possible but overall safety is not a big worry for students.

The application requires no supplement and therefore more students are inclined to apply just because it is simple and easy. Otherwise the application uses only the common application.

Wash U offers the option of early decision but not early action. Almost every student I have talked to interviewed with the university prior to admission, but I never did. We ask only for the Common Application--no additional essays. Wash U reaches out to high schools all around the country with our numerous admissions officers. We have great opportunities for financial aid, both need-based and merit-based. Our philosophy is that if we admit a student, we want to find a way to make sure the student can afford to enroll.

Cluster system with 4 main areas: social sciences, natural science, textual/historical studies and language/the arts. In addition to taking several courses in each of these areas, students must fulfill several other general courses: Writing I, a Cultural Diversity course, a Social Diversity course and a class that qualifies as writing intensive. Professors are accessible and allow students to work with them on research projects, however, these positions are competitive. Grading is also competitive, but a friendly atmosphere is fostered by encouraging group work and collaboration. Students average around 10 hours per week of work outside classes.

Housing and food is amazing, but a little costly. The library is nice enough, but I find that most students are disappointed with its hours. The athletic center is sort of gross, so a lot of students are turned off by it. Crime and safety is stressed as an issue on campus, but main campus itself is safe, even at night.

Common applcation, supplemental form, early decision is an option. Financial aid via FAFSA form OR academic achievement.