Vanderbilt University

4.7 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 19 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

Vanderbilt is a liberal arts school so there is a liberal arts core that you must complete. The number of hours required for the liberal arts core differs from major to major. This is the same for the major requirements. Academic advising for the Engineering school is very helpful since you declare your major when you apply. Therefore your advisor is within your major field and they are your advisor for four years. They are very helpful in recommending classes and helping you decide which paths to take. The class sizes are reasonably small especially once you get into your major classes. The professors are very willing to meet with you whenever you are available to go over tests, homework, or just if you need advice. They are very flexible and understanding and want you to do well. The research opportunities here are amazing and not very hard to find. All you have to do is talk with your professors or ask around and most likely you will find a research opportunity that suits you. The classes are challenging and the workload is reflective of that, but if you learn how to manage your time you should be perfectly fine. I find that most students are able to balance the workload with having a life.

The housing is extremely nice and there are multiple options for living styles on campus. The campus is beautiful and the food is wonderful. The libraries are well-kept with plenty of study spaces. I really love the campus and think the quality of life at Vanderbilt is exceptional.

Vanderbilt uses the Common Application, which makes it pretty easy to apply. You can do an interview (I did) in your hometown and it is beneficial for the student to get to know more about Vanderbilt. There are two different Early Decision deadlines, which is nice if you aren't sure you want to go to Vanderbilt by November. Vanderbilt offers lots of financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

common application
financial aid and scholarship opportunities
ED I, ED II, regular decision
interviews with alumni

Vanderbilt is a liberal arts school and therefore each major requires a liberal arts core, but the number of hours and restrictions are dependent upon school and major. The major degree requirements vary in the number of hours and required classes. Each student has a faculty advisor and for most majors, the advisor for your major is assigned after your major is declared sophomore year. While there are some lecture classes that are large, most classes that are focused on specific majors are reasonably small. Professors are always willing to meet with students and give advice as well as research opportunities. Students can participate in research starting their freshman year if they are ambitious. Vanderbilt is competitive, but at the same time students will help each other do well and understand work. Grading is hard, but it is usually accurate and reflective of the work done. The falculty at Vanderbilt are amazing and relevent in their fields. Vanderbilt is a hard school, but if you can get in you can handle the workload.

Vanderbilt uses the common application and offers financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Students can apply early decision one or two and it is binding. Vanderbilt also offers non-mandatory interviews.

general requirements and core classes, major degree requirements, academic advisors, small class sizes, research-one university, accessible professors, extremely competitive, notable faculty, study abroad and work study opportunities

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!

common application, financial aid and scholarship opportunities

Extensive application with essays, letters of recommendation, etc.

Core requirements differ, they are unique for each of our four schools. Every student will take at least 1/3 of classes in the College of Arts & Science. Academic advising is random until you declare your major. About 80% of classes have less than 30 students. The largest classes are the beginning courses such as General Chem or Econ 101. Vanderbilt is a research 1 university, with over $450 million invested in our research. There are 120 + research centers on campus, spanning all our undergraduate schools and departments. Many of my friends are involved in on campus research, a lot of students opt to spend the summer in Nashville doing research as well. All majors can study abroad during our fall or spring semester, Maymester, or summer sessions. Credits from other schools will transfer so the opportunities are endless.

Common Application with a short supplement.

Requirements vary depending on which academic school you are in: college of arts and sciences, blair school of music, school of engineering, or peabody.

Students live on campus for all four years. Living is expensive, but you are directly on campus. The campus is beautiful, with althetic facilities and room for al lthe student organizations. There are many different libraries which all students (graduate and undergraduate) can access. Students are required to purchase a meal plan for three years (21 meals, 14 meals, and 8 meals) with additional meals as an option. Nashville is an amazing city and Vanderbilt has a lot of support and respect in the community. We have our own police force and the campus is flooded with blue lights. Students are extremely happy.

Since I applied, Vanderbilt has switched to a common application only. I had an optional alumni interview which was helpful. There is an early decision one and two option along with regular decision. They have an incredible financial aid program that is loan free for all students that can be explored at the Vanderbilt Admissions website. There are a few merit scholarship opportunities available as well.

Students in Arts and Sciences have a program called AXLE which is the core program. The general requirements for this are pretty broad so that you are taking classes in many different areas of study. There are lots of different types of classes that fulfill each requirement so you can take classes that are interesting to you. Degree requirements are typically around 30 hours in your major area of study and minors are typically 18, although some are more. Class sizes range, but the large majority are under 50 students. The bigger classes are general math and science classes. Every student has the ability to do research through a professor. Usually you can just approach a professor and ask them about opportunities and get involved that way. You can do research in any subject, not just science and medicine. The professors all have office hours so they are easy to contact and to meet with. Most students are competitive academically at this school because most of us have always cared a lot about our grades. The workload is whatever you make it out to be, but it is never going to be extremely easy. Everyone has to work to get the results they want. Most students take around 15 hours, but you can take as little as 12. Some students choose to take 18 plus hours. I try to manage the number of hours I take based on the difficulty of the classes I have to take that semester. Grading depends on the professor and the subject.

I could not be happier at my school. The strong community emphasis and the fact that over 90 percent of students live on campus, really creates a cohesive environment both academically and socially. There is a great life balance between working hard, being engaged in clubs and activities, and social life. I've always felt extremely safe on campus and the school is good about letting people know when crimes happen in the area. The library is recently renovated and while not all the dorms are amazing, they are working on renovating those. I do believe the school could do a better job at community relations, because many students feel isolated from the rest of the world when they are on campus. There are clubs and programs that are intended to help with that, but I think the school as a whole could be more active about community relations.

The school is on the common application with just a small supplement that is very basic. There are optional alumni interviews that are not necessary, but can help you in the process. There are two early decision options and a regular decision option. There is a separate scholarship application and financial aid is all done based on the FAFSA. The school does not take into account financial aid when considering your acceptance, so the school is need-blind and also there are no more loans, just grants.

Each of the four undergraduate schools has its own core liberal arts program with various requirements. Overall, the workload is not too overwhelming if you stay on top of your stuff. There are certainly weeks that seem particularly stressful, but then there are also weeks that seem much more relaxed. It's really all about how you manage your time. They teachers are very approachable and often give out personal contact information beyond just their email in case you need any help. This spills over into research opportunities very easily. The students at Vanderbilt like to do well but are not so competitive that it destroys a team atmosphere. Even in large classes people are very willing to work together.

The quality of life at Vanderbilt is high. Keeping students on campus all four years is great for the sense of community. There are certainlly some housing areas that are less desirable than others, but that doens't neccesarliy ruin quality of life. The recreation center is more than adequate and it's easy to keep in shape. Not only are there lots of opportunites to particpate in intramural sports, but it seems that there is always someone willing to go for a run or to the gym. The campus itself is beautiful. Centennial Park right across the street gives students a nice getaway just a few blocks down the street. I love reading on a blanket out there on warm days.

Vanderbilt is one of the only top 20 universities that still gives out merit based scholarships. Each of the four undergraduate schools has its own program. Many of these scholarships come with a $5000 stipend that students can spend doing research or service abroad. The Ingram Scholarship program is based entirely on service and pays full tuition while providing students with stipends for service for each summer.

rigorous courseload. lots of essays/research papers/oral presentations.

beautiful campus and people compare our dorms to the ritz carleton. virtually no crime on campus, close relationship with surrounding city, librarys are beautiful and very comfortable for studying and the vast majority of the school is very very happy with their decision.

easy common app supplement, alumni interview recommended