Vanderbilt University

4.7 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (19 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Comments

Extensive application with essays, letters of recommendation, etc.

Date: 2011

liberal core for all schools. encouraging/accessible/notable faculty, research opportunities, easy to change majors/minors and to change schools, rigorous workload but manageable, challenging in class and out of class. TA will never teach a class. class sizes usually no more than 15-30 students, few classes are 100, and none are over 200. good student to faculty ratio. (but don't know the exact quote-possibly 8:1 ratio)

housing: want you to live on campus all four years. great housing FRESHMAN year-the best. you can have suites/apartment style when you get older, but i wish i could live off campus junior and senior year -cost unknown -facilities: large rec center, Freshman campus has a gym, many campus cafes, multiple librarys -great librarys: recently renovated the central library -dining is way better than most colleges, although not open at all hours as you would like -definitely feel safe on campus: we have our own state recognized police force-they are there to protect us/for our safety not to get us in trouble -many nice neighborhoods surround campus, near downtown though too -happy: decently sized city. wish there was more of a college town with more food places/cafes/24 hour places, etc. (but i'm from LA)

Comments

easy application process and interview with alumni. application is only the common app. early decision and early decision II are options. i chose early decision ii. financial aid and scholarship opportunities are available.

Date: 2011

rigorous courseload. lots of essays/research papers/oral presentations.

beautiful campus and people compare our dorms to the ritz carleton. virtually no crime on campus, close relationship with surrounding city, librarys are beautiful and very comfortable for studying and the vast majority of the school is very very happy with their decision.

Comments

easy common app supplement, alumni interview recommended

Date: 2011

general requirements and core classes, major degree requirements, academic advisors, small class sizes, research-one university, accessible professors, extremely competitive, notable faculty, study abroad and work study opportunities

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!

Comments

common application, financial aid and scholarship opportunities

Date: 2011

Comments

common application financial aid and scholarship opportunities ED I, ED II, regular decision interviews with alumni

Date: 2011

World class academics. programs in all fields of study and study abroad programs in over 26 countries and 6 continents. The workload is a lot, but stretches students academically and intellectually

Life at school is a blast. I love the fact that everybody lives on campus and that campus is patrolled by the VPD - a nationally-accredited police force. Unless you have a scholarship, Vanderbilt is quite expensive - on campus housing is unreasonable.

Comments

Holistic process - considers everything - grades, test scores, extracurriculars

Date: 2011

Challenging, but interesting. Each college within the university has a liberal arts requirement to give students a versatile educational experience. There are a plethora of different options to fulfill the requirements, so for the most part, fulfilling that liberal core is usually interesting and not hard to complete. Advisors are hit or miss. Most of them are very helpful, but I have heard of some who rush students through. My advisors have been fantastic. One helped me to transfer from Arts and Science to Peabody and made the process very simple and pain free. The other helped me plot my schedule. He's retiring, but made sure to recommend some good advisors for me to select based on his experiences working with them. He made sure I was taken care of. With that said, advising is just that-advising. Don't expect them to tell you what courses to take throughout your undergrad career. They'll give great advice, but you'll make all the decisions, which I think is great. Time management is key. The workload will seem overwhelming at times, but it's definitely manageable. If you work hard and seek out your professors in office hours, you'll do fine at Vandy. Professors are great about meeting with students. I've even had one professor email me asking me to go out to lunch to discuss topics in class. It was great!

Vandy is a great place to be a 18-22 year old in college! What made me choose it over other schools (Ivy's, LACS, etc) was the people. The students are so intelligent and enterprising, yet so social and down-to-earth. The Commons fosters community for first-year students. There are tons of events in the dorms (houses as we like to call them) to create friendships among students. Everything from free movie screenings to Rites of Sping Music Fest with Kid Cudi to great FREE SEC sports games is right on campus. Nashville always has great concerts, cultural festivals, restaurants, parks, sports teams, bars, coffee shops, and even celebrity spottings!

Comments

Common Application, which makes it very easy to complete the admissions application. However, if you plan on applying for merit scholarships (Ingram Scholars Program, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Chancellors), the scholarship application deadline is usually a little earlier than regular admission deadlines, so be sure to get a head start and keep up with dates.

Date: 2011

Vanderbilt is an incredibly challenging school academically and the professors should be more accessible and willing to help students.

It is a great school but I don't think that people are genuinely happy and I think that it is very overpriced.

Comments

I applied for the Ingram Scholarship for service learning, so in addition to the Common Application, I had to complete another application with two essays, two recommendations, and a service activity list.

Date: 2011

THere is a Liberal Arts core for EVERY students regardless of major/college. Major and minor requirements are easy to understand. Accepts AP/IB scores. Good class sizes, professors are very student and undergrad focused, unlike a lot of other universities. Many many research opportunities! WOrld-clas faculty, many study abroad options (the most unique is Maymester!). WOrkload is a lot and challenging but that's what college is for!

GREAT FOOD, you will never go hungry with NUMEROUS on campus and off campus options! Vandy makes it so easy to go off campus as well. The first year dorms are fantastic! Upperclassmen options are good as well, many options. Very safe on campus, just be safe off campus. 8 libraries... will never be bored studying!

Comments

There are two early decision dates, but many apply via Regular Decision. Common Application is accepted. Main essay with optional documents if you would like to submit them. OPtional interview. Simple application, not too many supplemental material necessary.

Date: 2011

Each of the four undergraduate schools has its own core liberal arts program with various requirements. Overall, the workload is not too overwhelming if you stay on top of your stuff. There are certainly weeks that seem particularly stressful, but then there are also weeks that seem much more relaxed. It's really all about how you manage your time. They teachers are very approachable and often give out personal contact information beyond just their email in case you need any help. This spills over into research opportunities very easily. The students at Vanderbilt like to do well but are not so competitive that it destroys a team atmosphere. Even in large classes people are very willing to work together.

The quality of life at Vanderbilt is high. Keeping students on campus all four years is great for the sense of community. There are certainlly some housing areas that are less desirable than others, but that doens't neccesarliy ruin quality of life. The recreation center is more than adequate and it's easy to keep in shape. Not only are there lots of opportunites to particpate in intramural sports, but it seems that there is always someone willing to go for a run or to the gym. The campus itself is beautiful. Centennial Park right across the street gives students a nice getaway just a few blocks down the street. I love reading on a blanket out there on warm days.

Comments

Vanderbilt is one of the only top 20 universities that still gives out merit based scholarships. Each of the four undergraduate schools has its own program. Many of these scholarships come with a $5000 stipend that students can spend doing research or service abroad. The Ingram Scholarship program is based entirely on service and pays full tuition while providing students with stipends for service for each summer.