Good School

February 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

The campus is beautiful, the people are smart, and the professors care about you

Comments

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

My freshman year the majority of my classes were 300+ students, but starting my sophomore year it narrowed down to about 50 per class.

Housing was expensive; about 3000/quarter not including the required (and expensive) meal plan. The dorms were about a 10 minute walk from my classes, so the location was convienient. We have our workout facility, the IMA, about 5 minutes away from the dorms, and it is easily the best gym in the Seattle area. We have easily 10 libraries that I know about, and probably 10 more that I don't know about, and the librarians can help you 24/7 to find the information you need. The dorm food was fine, but the choices were limited. My freshman year we had a huge crime problem--people were getting their iPods stolen late at night and getting mugged. But this year the crime problem is a lot better.

I had to fill out a personal statement, and I had to break down my extracurriculars into a few categories and explain them.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

You're required to take a certain number of classes in three core areas. It's pretty flexible and you can take them throughout the four years. Academic advising is available but I didn't use it much. I didn't have trouble navigating the system. Some professors were very approachable, particularly within my department. Most of my classes were moderately sized - although I was in a few large lectures. I really enjoyed them however - sitting back and being entertained by a great speaker who is extremely knowledgeable on the subject. I found grading to be somewhat inconsistent. I typically could work an average amount and receive A's, but occasionally a professor would be a tough grader and the same effort would yield me a lower grade. Almost everyone I know has studied abroad and by my senior year I felt a bit left out. I finally did and it was great - not too complicated iether.

It's a beautiful campus in a great neighborhood in an amazing city. Everything you need is here.

The UW has it's own application with a basic personal statement, short answer response, and activities log. We don't use interviews or any other demonstrated interested in the application review. We do not use an early decision date, and just this year will switch over to pooling admissions, in which all applicants learn their decisions at once. Most of our financial aid is need-based, and we offer little to no scholarships for incoming freshman.

For Arts & Sciences:
20 credits Visual, Literary, Performing Arts (VLPA)
20 credits of Natural World (NW, natural science)
20 credits of Individuals and Societies (I&S, social sciences)
at least 5 credits of Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning (QSR)
1 year of college-level foreign language
+ whatever credits your major/minor require

Average credit load is around 15 credits a quarter, 3 quarters a year (that's usually 3 regular classes that meet 5 days a week).

140+ different majors at University of Washington, most degrees in A&S seem to have around 50-70 credits required for the major. Definitely possible to double major if you plan well. Advising available for general undergrad as well as within each dept, but often you will need to schedule and appointment first. Class sizes for 100-level classes can be anywhere from 10-400 students, although professors and TA's are readily available to help, especially in the larger lecture classes. All profs have office hours during the week and will schedule another time to meet if you can't make it to their office hours. Of the 1800 classes offered each quarter, only 125 of them have class sizes over 100.

It seems like all the departments on campus have really notable professors in their fields, so I would say that the notability of the faculty is high. Also, can start research with professors during freshman year. My friend was working on a project with a professor in the Political Science department and the only other person working on the project was the professor!

Study abroad goes to 64+ countries and all 7 continents. Length of study abroad experiences are 2 weeks to a full year. Can also do a program through partner universities. Workload varies by program. UW sends around 2,000 students abroad each year.

Dorms are okay. Ended up being a Resident Adviser (RA) for two years to help cover cost of school (provides room and board), although the job was demanding time-wise and sometimes the Resident Directors would seem to be unreasonably demanding of their staff.

Outside of residence halls, if you want to live close to campus, it isn't unusual to see apartments for $600 a month. If you are willing to commute, the cost can drop to $500 for living only 10-15 minutes away by bus. There are also a zillion buses that go right to campus, so it's really accessible.

Campus is absolutely beautiful, even in the winter when the weather is gray. There are also over 500 student organizations and clubs on campus, so there are a million different ways to get involved on campus and meet people.

Safety is about the same as any other large university in an urban setting. There is a full-time police force assigned specifically to UW with 30+ officers (yes, they are real police officers with all of the legal powers and abilities of Seattle PD). I loved that the blue emergency lights are all over the place and, from what I've heard, response time is really good.

Overall happiness is a 4.5 out of 5

Three writing sections (activities log, personal statement, essay on culture and diversity). No individual interviews, no early action/decision, no Common App. Financial Aid is just through submitting FAFSA form (some scholarships are available from departments).

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I completed my undergraduate degree at the UW while it was still under the index system. Therefore, essays, test scores, application, fee was all required but admissions was at the time still heavily focused on test scores and grades.

2008

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Large classes, huge number of research opportunities, a good mix of competitive and open degrees, study abroad is a huge program on campus, lots of impressive professors (and some unimpressive ones).

All very impressive. Crime is pretty frequent but I always feel safe. Tons of libraries and places to study. I personally recommend campus dining to everyone. If you don't find an amazing community on campus, then you're not trying. Housing is pretty expensive wherever you go.

All the usual questions, some unique personal statement prompts, FAFSA, early application deadline, everyone informed of acceptance around the same time.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

When I applied in the fall of 2006, you filled out an online application that included descriptions of your class schedules through all four years of high school, essay questions on diversity and challenges that you've faced, and statistical questions. The application was about 10 pages long.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The admissions process is pretty simple. They ask for you to fill out an application in which you put basic personal and educational information. You are also asked to send in transcripts. The personal statement/essay portion gives you a choice of questions that allows you to talk about yourself. All information after that is sent to you through the mail, and if you follow the directions given, the process is fine.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Frustrating as a freshman and sophomore. Once you find your major, communities on campus and take classes you find more interesting, engaging and smaller, the experience is much better. Many of the intro level classes are taught by professors who need more training as instructors. However, once you find the right instructors, the experience is amazing. Lots of academic and advising support for those who seek it out, and many many majors and experiences to choose from. I was a part of multiple research teams, wrote a thesis, presented at two symposiums. I also found 2 professors in which I TA'd for, which created great mentor relationships. Study abroad is highly encouraged and available. All in all, the school has almost anything you could ever ask for/expect from an institution of higher education. Many of the most rewarding experiences are those outside of the class room; working in the community, serving under served populations in health care or education... there are many programs to facilitate these experiences for undergrads.

Dorms are fun. Greek life is a blast. Many housing options available off campus and close by. Not a safe place to live at all. On campus is safe, anywhere off campus is not. Way too many incidents of assaults, robbery, muggings and so on... Libraries are amazing, open at late hours, lots of resources and great places to study. Dining is fairly good, however it is a bit pricey. Neighborhoods are fun because they are full of students.

Unique application, personal statement, second essay, activities log. financial aid and whatnot is pretty standard.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Great advising, great resources. Don't wait for the resources to come to you - get out there and start asking questions.

Pretty simple