USF is a Jesuit school, and as such runs a Liberal Arts oriented core curriculum. This includes all the usuals (History, Quantitative Science/Math, Social Science, Literature, Philosophy, and Performing Arts,) but we also have to fulfill mandatory Theology, Cultural Diversity (CD), Rhetoric and Composition, and Service Learning (SL) requirements in order to graduate.
Class sizes are nice and small...generally between 15 and 35 people, unless you're in general Nursing classes or Intro Psych, Chem, or Bio classes, in which case your class size is still unlikely to break 60. One thing that should be noted is that it's super easy to change your major and minor compared to other schools.
Grading varies from prof to prof of course, but generally I've found that they want everyone to do well and are not opposed to giving everyone in the class A's if they deserve them.

Campus is gorgeous, but a little small. Facilities are constantly improving. There's nothing missing on campus that you can't find in the city though, and we're smack in the middle of it. Nice neighborhoods on all sides, though the cost of living is HIGH under almost any circumstances. Considering the fact that San Francisco is a major city, safety levels are good. I've never really felt unsafe.

Pretty standard application process. Common app accepted, no interviews. Worth it to apply early action...your chances are higher. One of the essay options on their USF-specific application is "Topic of your Choice" so you're really not limited as far as essays go. Absolutely take a tour if you can though! I did when I applied, and was so glad I did. One of the best tour guide programs I encountered in my hunt for the right college. Decent amount of financial aid opportunities, especially if you test well on the SAT or ACT or if you are a minority.

We have a 128 unit CORE Requirement that includes taking classes in general education subjects. Each semester we are required to go through an academic advising to keep track of what classes we'll need to take. The student to teacher ratio is approximately 14:1 and classes are no larger than 40 students. Average class size is actually 15-25 students. Faculty and staff are accommodating with office hours should any student need extra help. The study abroad programs and immersion programs have some of the best opportunities for students to not only meet academic needs but also experience a different country while externalizing the Jesuit values established through classes.

Having the privilege of being on a full-ride scholarship at this school allows me to recognize the advantages of not worrying about costs. Through hearing about challenges with housing through my peers do I get a better sense of the difficulties people face when financial factors are at play. I personally LOVE living in this city and have made sure to take advantage of every opportunity I can to explore and experience as much as I can, while I can.

I applied using the Common Application.

USF has a fairly unique core requirement that includes theology, philosophy and aesthetics. A lot of core course "double dip" in a sense so that students get credit for their major as well as for their core. This, in combination with the ability to get the classes that you want, when you want them, allows many students the freedom in their schedule to study abroad or graduate early. Class sizes at USF are typically around 25 students. The least I've ever had in a class is 7 and the most is 40. I love the class sizes because you truly form a relationship with your professors and your peers and classes are typically more discussion-based, so they're more engaging. Also, USF Professors do an amazing job of integrating The City into the curriculum, so many classes allow you to apply your knowledge or see theory in practice. Another aspect of academics is accessibility of professors and advisors. USF students are required to see their advisor each semester before they register to ensure that they are on track or see if they can study abroad/graduate early.

San Francisco is one of the most amazing cities to be a college student in because of the opportunities for learning, experiencing cultures, socializing and professional development. Our campus is central to the city, so you can get downtown, or to the beach, or to the wharf in a 15 minute bus ride. Also, our campus is compact, so it is easy to navigate (students can get from class to class in 5-10 minutes) and there is a sense of community from the smaller population. We are not so small that everyone knows everything about everybody, but not so large that you are just a body in a classroom - there's a nice balance of familiar faces and those yet to meet. Again, since we're a compact campus, our Public Safety officers can survey the entire campus effectively and response time on any calls is very fast. The neighborhood we're located in has lots of young families and is a secure environment. The resources available to students are great - we have an amazing library with a 24-hour silent study area, a large gym free for student use, students receive a bus pass with tuition so they have free reign of the city, we have a welcoming Student Leadership and Engagement office, Gender and Sexualities Center and Intercultural Center, a Learning and Writing Center for tutoring and editing and a Career Services Center to help students find jobs and internships. USF sincerely works to ensure every students success as evidenced in its resource centers and personalities of professors. As far as dining, the majority of food on campus is local, organic food made on-site and there are countless options of meals to eat. And, if a student wants something new, the city is always open!

When I applied, the supplement for USF through the Common Application asked how we would relate to and promote the University's mission statement, which I found fairly unique in looking at other applications. A lot of emphasis is placed upon the essay since that is student's one time to be able to speak for themselves. If there are any "gaps" on paper (ie: lower grades or few extracurriculars), the essay is the time to explain why and really provide your voice to essentially argue why you would be a positive addition to the school.

We have to fullfil the requirements of a major, of the general education, which we call "Core," and some elective classes. All of the classes are EXTREMELY accessible. I was never pushed behind because classes were full and I had no way to meet a requirement. I did get a little messed up by waiting to long to take the class required for my Neuroscience minor, and it ended up not fitting into my schedule, so I dropped the minor. The faculty are really, really amazing. They get to know you, and if you're a good student, like I am, they love talking to you and hearing your ideas. They will work one-on-one with you if you have questions. The class sizes for most of my classes have been about 25. I also got really involved with research in a research lab on campus as well as getting involved in an adjunct professor's research off-campus at UCSF nearby. I would have chosen no other school. I'm so glad about my choice.

San Francisco is super expensive, BUT SO WORTH IT! I love living here so much, and I've been exposed to a wide, wide variety of people. I hated living in the residence halls on campus because I hated sharing a room and I hated the idiocy of other students, who would get drunk off their asses and vomit in the hallways or vandalize or be loud/belligerent. So moving off campus was great. The on-campus food is good but expensive. It's all organic and locally produced, and they make you purchase a meal-plan when you live on campus, so you don't have a choice but to pay for it.

I filled out USF's own application, but they also accept the Common Ap. So, I filled out all the information they wanted, which included an essay about how I fit into the USF mission. I applied Early Action by November 15th so as to get considered for a $20,000 scholarship. I received it, and that really made the decision for me. I spoke to some faculty members in Psychology department before making my decision, and they were very welcoming, so that also influenced my decision.

There is a list of core requirements that must be done before you can graduate (things like art, english, math, science, theology, and cultural diversity classes). There are also major required classes. Classes are usually small, and the faculty are very accessible all the time.

Cost of living is pretty expensive ,but food and room is included in the cost for board. There is not much crime on campus, and public safety patrols the dorms and campus all the time. The community seems to appreciate students at USF. The dining on campus is very expensive, but the food is usually good. There are plenty of good restaurants around campus as well, so it's fun to eat at all of those places. The facilities are all resonably new, and USF is working to update their facilities as often as possible.

There is both an early action and a regular action program, and the process entails filling out the normal application and the USF supplement. The entire application consists of one essay total.

Academics is very good because the main reason I decided to attend to this school because of the class sizes. They are very small and the professors are very nice if you have any question during the class or outside the class. Academic advising as well is very useful because they are able to tell you or assist you in any way or form of what classes to take throughout the years you attend the University. The study aboard opportunities are very resourceful because we have a department for each activity or organization we have in the school.

The quality of life at the school is pretty expensive but overall is good. People in the facilities are very nice and helpful if you are having diffuclut time adjusting to living in San Francisco. Public Safety is very resourceful as well because if you have any problems or accomendatiion they are very helpful.

The admission process is self- explanatory. Everything you need to know to apply for the school is online. The question are not hard as well. The application process is pretty smooth because you are able to check your application status on line to make sure everything is completed in your application. If you are a student that applies for early action there are opportunities for you to receive scholarship that could round to large amounts. Financial aid as well is very helpful for those who are applying with low income.

Basic liberal arts requirements plus ethics, service learning and theology requirements. Advising is held every semester for all students. Classes are an average of 25 students, though most of mine were smaller. I was able to reach a professor within 3 days at all times, usually able to meet in person when needed. Research opportunities were provided for nearly all major; I completed a capstone project where I designed my own research project for my Asian Studies program. I researched Japanese Soft Power in the Video Games Industry.

The main downsides are that the cost of living in San Francisco is very high and that Bon Appetit has a monopoly over food at USF so the prices are very high and the quality is substandard considering its price and the quality of food at competing businesses in San Francisco. The other issue is that there are concerns that the administration does not always put students first, although this concern has been reduced in the past year through an improved effort on the part of the administration to communicate with students before making a decision.

The housing services, while somewhat expensive, were competitive in the SF real estate market and reasonably high quality. There was enough housing offered for students. The facilities are mostly well kept. The library was well designed although keeping it open 24 hours a day would be an improvement.

It is located in a residential neighborhood where crime is low and safety is not a major concern for most students. Public Safety does a good job keeping campus secure. USF is well integrated into the city through classes, internships, immersion programs, community service and other activities.

In general I was very happy at USF and I believe most students enjoy their experience, except the few downsides listed above.

Common Application
Merit based scholarship $19500/year
No interview
Early Action/Regular Action

Seemed pretty standard when I applied.

Challenging

Great

Fair

core classes- literature, history, theology, science
study abroad- over 10 countries
competitive grading

cost of living expensive, safe & exciting neighborhood, nice facilities

essay, early & regular decision, common application, scholarships

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

40 credits are the core requirements and about 44 is the major requirements, the rest are electives. The workload is manageable some classes were more competitive than others. Some teachers were exceptional. others did not belong there. I wish I had better teachers throughout my years here. It was usually easy to get a class I wanted.

Fantastic! People are down to earth, happy, well rounded, passionate, etc.

The application question was pertaining to the University mission. I applied and was accepted early action. The Early action deadline is November 15. Many financial aid and scholarship opportunities