Pitt Review

September 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Dorms are fun and have a close environment
Cathedral is beautiful
Honors college is helpful and flush with cash

Weather is poor
Campus has very little grass
Class sizes are too big

Comments

Pitt is the perfect place if you want an affordable, urban, public research university.

Good quality education, support services leave something to be desired

August 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

The price at the time was reasonable, urban location, and wide course selection

The support services could have been better. Some of the dorms are extremely dated.

Comments

Pittsburgh is a fantastic city, and it was great to go to school in an urban area.

We are the best.

so difficult

Amazing!!

application, essays
scholarship oppurtunities are reviewed at same time as application submission

2016

There are large class sizes for general requirement classes, that range from about 200-250 students. When they classes are this big Pitt makes sure everyone is one the same page with once a week recitations taught by teachers assistants. In my experience, I've found that the professors are very approachable in office hours. Pitt is a great school to go to for anything medical related because UPMC is right on our campus allowing students to have opportunities such as research, volunteer work, and/or internships.

I am very happy here at Pitt! The residence halls on lower campus are set up in a great central location nearby the library, food courts, restaurants, and a nice park (Schenley Park). Since its in a city there is always something to do whether it's a concert, sporting event, or show. You are never bored with all the fun school sponsored events that take place on weekends! The OCC program, short for Outside the Classroom Curriculum, is a one of a kind program here that also gives you a way to get credit for going to the events on campus. Plus, the Pitt Arts program here is awesome because students can go see free shows and performances for free in addition to a free dinner beforehand.

The admissions process is pretty similar to a typical college application. You need to fill out the application and write a personal statement that gives you a chance to say in words what you have to offer.

Liberal arts college, you must take many general requirement classes. Core classes are usually pretty difficult to help weed out students who do not belong in the major (at least for my experience: pre-med) Advising was great, i have a wonderful relationship with my advisor. Class sizes are great for such a large school. out of 2283 undergraduate courses offered, only about 6% are 100 students or more, 63% are 30 students or less, and 45% are 20 students or less. Most professors are involved in research so there are many opportunities. School is very competitive, and grading is fair. There are many study abroad opportunities and they are easily accessible, workload is definitely manageable even for students with difficult majors.

Housing is great, cant go wrong with any dorms on campus. Center for Off campus housing makes living off campus easy. Cost of living is low in Pittsburgh, Campus is gorgeous and fun, facilities are well maintained, library is well equipped, great variety of places to study. Food is great. neighborhood is super safe, Pittsburgh was rated number one among bench mark cities in public safety. Relationship with community is great. Crime and safety are not an issue. I am extremely happy.

I applied using the Common app. Plus a Pitt supplement. Regular decision, found out I was accepted within about three weeks. Did not receive a scholarship.

Class sizes become smaller as you become more specialized in your subject area. There are lots of study abroad opportunities and our Study Abroad Office is extremely helpful and thorough when a student wants to study abroad. Professors have 4-6 office hours a week, and from my experience have always been there when they say they are going to be.

Oakland has a relatively low cost of living which is nice because living on-campus, while it is extremely safe, is a little more expensive.

essay, resume, application, financial aid

Great mix of large and small classes. General education requirements are mostly useful (except we must take 3 natural sciences classes which is a bit much for those majoring in the arts). STUDY ABROAD IS AWESOME! We send 17% of out undergrad abroad a semester, 10% more than the average and we have our own programs which makes it even more accessible.

So fun, great community, smallest big school ever.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Pitt is a research university so opportunities to become involved with research are countless. Grading uses letter grades as well as +/-. Only 6% of classes have more than 100 students, and all of the larger classes break down into a recitation section each week to review material covered in the large lecture setting.

Quality of life is great. Housing is guaranteed on-campus for 3 years. The campus has a safe feel thanks to the Pitt Police force and their overlap with Carnegie Mellon police and the Allegheny County police force.

Pitt doesn't use the Common Application.