UMass-Isenberg Review

February 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

Excellent professors
Great network of alumni
Up and coming business school
Great major classes
Flexibility to double major

Not a lot of entrepreneurship classes
Could offer more finance classes
Could offer more business-tech classes

Comments

This school is constantly rising in the rankings which is valuable to employers. More and more big name companies in all sorts of fields are recruiting at this school. Definitely would recommend it especially if you like the northeast job market.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

omg app questions sooo hard

soooo many essays to write like 500 thousand

4 interviews!!! :-O

early dec/action tough!!!

common app accepted

no financial aid :-(

i be rockin the scholarship you know how we does it ;-)

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Joint admission from community college

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Core classes explore all ranges of the school. Individual courses go into depth of specific departments and programs of study. Choosing one program leads you into a world deep in the material where requirements are plentiful and timely. The accessibility to the professors is amazing with a lot of time dedicated to students.

Cost of living is somewhat on average with the state. The facilities available are great. swimming pools, gym, outdoor courts, and a great art gallery.

There is a lot of paperwork and electronic application processes. Filing acadmemic, employment, and other legal information is all apart of the process. You must file a federal FAFSA form to obtain any consideration for scholarships or grants. An applicant must have a great academic record to enroll in any program at my university.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Depends strongly on major and course direction. There are a set of core gen-eds that every student must take- After that however, it is very specific to the major of choice. As a transfer student from Bentley University, I've noticed that my classes are every bit as challenging as the courses I took there. o

Amazing. That's really all I can say. I was very weary at first at living at a school that was so large- but it becomes small because of the different housing sections. Each is its own community, with it's own personality and culture. For the amount, I think the dorm rooms are fair sized- but I wish there were more dorms because people have been having to go into Temporary Housing. The facilities are clean and the staff members are friendly. I feel safe at my school- being a female it makes me feel better that there are blue light securities all around campus, in the case that something did happen.

Common Application was used- Ability for Early Action.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Notable faculty: During the Spring 2010 semester my investments class professor had $100 million under management and has a list that doesn't end of published scholarly articles along with a number of books. He's on campus often, his door is always open and more than willing to talk with students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Some general requirements are completed through big classes, which has been a great problem for me because I have trouble learning in such big classes. Despite that, I could get some help from the TAs and other resources available for student taking these big classes.

The regular classes contain on average 28 students and I had done better in these classes, but not as well as I did at my community college because classes at UMass are harder. Students have a lot of homework assignments to do; even when you are not taking online classes, most classes have an online component so assignments are submitted online. Sometimes quizzes and tests are also taken online.
Professors and advisers are easily available, and students may see a professor for help even if they don't take classes with the professor. During my second semester (Spring 2010), I had met with at least three professors to discuss my interest in becoming a college professor. None of them was my professor.
Universit of Massachusetts Amherst is the best public university to go to in Massachusetts, particularly if one does not want to graduate with a mountain of debt. Because of its prestige, a considerable number of high achieving out of state students apply annually to UMass so the school is becoming increasingly competitive. One thing I love about professors and faculty is their constant effort to better the quality education UMass is offering. They are convinced that there is room for improvement, so they refuse to rest on their laurels!
Study abroad opportunities are also available. I met with a lot of students who studied abroad and I have two friends who will do so in the Fall 2010, one in England and another in Spain.

I don't like the food served by the dining halls, but that might be a cultural issue because I am not American. Other than that, I don't have anything to complain about the quality of life at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Living on campus is expensive, but living off-campus is even more expensive. Financial aid, grants and the small loans on my financial aid package cover almost everything for me. Therefore, everything goes well.

I don't know everything about the admission process because I applied through the joint admissions program. Months before I applied, I knew that the admissions process would be smooth for me because I got a competitive GPA at my community college.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Depends on what school you end up in. For the business school we were required to take business prerequisites as well as general education classes before even declaring a major and taking core classes. Once taking core classes must then take electives within the business school and outside of it in order to better round your knowledge and potentially pursue minors or double majors. Professors were more than accessible and very open to extra help or mentoring. Professor Brian Brown in Isenberg at UMass Amherst is a great example as well as Professor Tom O'Brien. Both go above and beyond to help you excel as a student and as a person.

Common Application with specific essay questions. Must also apply to individual schools within the university as well. For example, you apply to the business school or the school of nursing or public health when applying. Must also fill out all financial aid packages and apply for scholarships too.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The cost of housing is relatively low compared to other schools. The campus is large, but beautiful and keeps students active and healthy by walking. The library is kind of old but it is a great resource with thousands and thousands of books and tutoring. Overall there is relatively little crime and the entire city that is Umass is nicer than the aberage neighborhood. Most people are very happy at UMass because of the large amount of alcohol available to all students.

We had to write an essay on what Globalization meant to us for my particular Fellows RAP. We also had to fill out an admissions form, FAFSA, and a 1 page essay for the school in general. I applied for early action but am not sure how much the form differs from a regular admission form.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

When I applied I filled out the common application for Massachusetts state schools. The application took about 30 minutes to fill out. I also applied for financial aid, and got a good amount of my education paid for. I graduated with only 15K in loans.