2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Dorm was not good for grad students, because young people like to have party...

I had an interview with Chair before I applied to school. It was very effective to discuss what I would learn at UHM. When I applied to school there, it was very smooth for the admission process. After one semester, they gave me a tuition waver because I had a good GPA. It was very helpful for me because I am an international.

2004 or earlier

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Applying to the school was simple, and it take long for a response. I initially applied for architecture. When I got accepted to UH-Manoa, I had to do another admissions process for the School of Architecture. I had to make a portfolio, write an essay, and had an interview with the dean of the School of Architecture. I was accepted and was very happy. I always received financial aid. It is very easy to apply for it but somewhat annoying to turn in documents to the office. The financial aid office at UH-Manoa has employees who work really slowly and don't realize there are people waiting. They have a phone, but they don't answer it. It takes a long time just to turn in documents.

Other

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Major degree requirements ask for a lot of electives that have nothing to do with my major. Some of the classes are in the upper levels and makes no sense to me since I wasn't required to take any other courses to lead up to that course.
Academic advising, most of the counselors are available at all times.
Professors are always able to contact through email or office hours and are more than likely to meet anytime to discuss class issues.
Study abroad are available.
Workload, some courses require a lot of reading and homework. Balancing five classes is a bit difficult depending on the courses. I've been taking five since I started to attend UH and the homework is piling up.

Application

I liked everything!

I liked the library the most.

It was just good for me.

2006

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Major degree requirements needed to be fulfilled prior to moving onto the next step. class sizes were moderate until towards the very last semester and one class was particularly large. Academic advising was a chore as the adviser would block off times that were more conducive to my school and work schedule; many times i needed to take off from work to meet with my adviser, rather than meeting when I would be on campus.

It began with application form, in addition there was also the application essay in your field of interest. You also needed to include 3 reference letters.

2009

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I lived of campus and was lucky to find a room that I could afford to rent. The cost of housing was the biggest cost. Overall, I enjoyed my time in Hawaii and at UH Manoa.

Application for graduate studies and an application to the actual program. It included an essay, letters of recommendation, and transcripts.

2005

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

well we do everything online

it is very good to study and it is fairly safe

they take the application and process as soon as possible

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

off island studies/distance learning, writing intensive, 2 years of classroom observation/experiences

test scores - application -essay for acceptance justification - interview for Bachelor of elmentary education cohort

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

For MA prog: I had to write a non thesis MA paper, took 36 credits for my course work.
for PhD prg I had to write a dissertation, take course works and do research in the college as an RA.
My dept has notable faculty member Dr. Ronald Heck and I am so glad I took his great courses.

happy overall

I had to write essays and submitted to apply for IFP scholarship, yet i did not apply directly to UHM. The process was done by my scholarship coordinators at the East West Center.

2009

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Excellent faculty, challenging classes relivent to career choice

Classes were mostly online. But facilities are excellent. Well maintained and up to date

Essay, interview, GPA