Very Well Rounded School

October 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

UD is what I always pictured a college to be like. We have a beautiful green lined with old brick buildings. We have Main Street running through campus for all of your food or alcohol related needs. We have a solid business school.

Parking can be difficult, like with most schools I know of. Some administrative staff can be very unhelpful at times.

Comments

Come to UD if you want a well-balanced college experience and you want to leave as a well-rounded individual.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

UD seems to be getting more and more selective, they make you submit SATs or ACTs and an essay. They will also make you write an essay to justify any grades below a C.

Breadth Requirements - required for all majors
Each major has required courses. Class sizes range from 15-25 students on average.

Housing can be handled better including the cost of living. The surrounding neighborhood consists of mostly college students.

Common Application, Supplement Application, Early Action, Regular Decision

very nice... safe

2015

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

a Lot of general breadth requirements
Very small classes for honors courses, english courses, language courses, high level courses, large classes for core classes
Competitive but friendly
All students get an academic advisor that they can change if they aren't happy with
Professors are extremely accessible, friendly and helpful
Huge endowment and TONS of undergraduate research opportunities including paid summer, winter, thesis, and travel stipends
Lots of interesting classes like racquetball, figure skating, history of rock, Classical Mythology, and honors colloquia and capstone courses in classes like the art of medicine, CHocolate, Creativity in Science
TONS of reasonably priced study abroad opportunities for all different majors on all 7 continents
Writing Fellows and peer tutoring provided for all honors program students

Dorms were fun but small and hot, new dorms built recently are beautiful though
Library and facilities/gym and classrooms are great
Public safety and newark police do a VERY POOR job of prioritizing for student safety

Extra essay and questions for students applying to the honors program- but definitely worth it. Common application. Pretty decent financial aid and scholarships

2008

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The academics were great at UD - the largest class size was 150 students, and that was only in a few classes (Psyc 100, General Bio/Chem) - most classes at UD had 20-40 students. Professors were very accessible and friendly, and always willing to help students. Degree requirements were reasonable and logical. There were lots of research opportunities and TONS of study abroad opportunities - you could go anywhere from England to New Zealand to Antarctica!

The residence halls are great and have very friendly and welcoming communities. I felt very safe on campus and never had any problems. The cost of living was reasonable, and the dining hall food, while not home-cooked food, was good. I was very happy on campus!

The application process was easy for UD - there were several essays that made you think, but overall the application was managable. UD has many scholarship opportunities for students, and I was lucky to be awarded several.

2008

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

General requirements are usually larger classes, though I have had very few lecture-hall classes, especially considering the size of the University. Professors are great, they are fair, accessible, and hold students accountable. They are eager to try new technology as long as it benefits students. Major degree requirements make students exceptionally prepared for the "real world;" especially in the Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management major. I did participate in a study abroad, as did most of my friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I believe there is a Common App available, but I chose the University's app. I believe they removed their early decision acceptance. There was an essay, and additional application including another essay for the Honors program, into which I was accepted.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

All the things named above are excellent at UD. The general requirements and core classes give good background knowledge & the degree requirements are interesting. There is plenty of academic advisement and the class sizes are reasonable. I like the professors a lot. Sometimes I get e-mails about research opportunities. I believe the grading is fair. I also have received e-mails about study abroad opportunities and I think that anyone who wants to study abroad could probably find an applicable trip to go on and get credit for and experience another country.

It is a very safe campus. It has everything. The library is wonderful. There are some really nice eateries like Panera Bread & Starbucks & Brew Ha Ha on Main Street.

essays, interviews, application

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

As with most other schools, alot of the introduction courses had larger class sizes. I have been in a few classes where there were about 30 students which wasn't that much different than high school. All Freshman are required to take English 110. Also students are required to take a multicultural course and a discovery learning course( which can be completed through study abroard). My academic advisor helped me decide what classes to take and was easily accessible through email or walk-in office hours. Although I haven't done study abroard yet, there are tons of opportunities for all majors to study abroard. Also alot of students take advantage of Delaware's winter "semester" to study aboard or take a few extra classes.

My dorm is really nice. It's close to the library, student center, and the academic buildings. I never feel unsafe walking around campus. If i ever did feel unsafe there are public safety escorts and a blue light system for emergencies. I am incredibly happy on campus!

I'm pretty sure I did the Common Application with a seperate supplement. The application was not that much different than most other applications I completed. There is a seperate application to be considered for honors program. There wasn't any interview.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Delaware has a wide array of study abroad opportunities which several of my friends have applied for. They are somewhat selective, but very worthwhile. Workload can be very heavy or somewhat light, depending on your major and your desired GPA. I am a history education major, and I have a B average. I do about 6-7 hours of homework a week. Most of my time is spent reading. I could try harder and spend more time to get better grades, but I am satisfied with my performance thus far, and I have a very active social life... So there's that. I also can remember facts quite easily, so I don't study too much for exams. As far as faculty goes, Delaware has a wide selection of professors with significant notoriety. Ellis Wasson, for example, is a world renowned expert on Winton Churchill, so he teaches a fascinating class on Churchill as a historical figure. This is just an example of one single professor - I have had many in several different departments. I have never had a problem with any professor's grading at Delaware. General requirements and core classes all make sense, but it is a common trend for students at Delaware to have to do an extra semester, especially if they have switched majors. Delaware really wants you to pack in your education, as as long as you don't **** up, you should be able to get it done. Class size can get big, depending on the lecture halls you get, but I never found it a problem (coming from a high school class of 300). Professors generally always are willing to help you with anything - advising, school work, or otherwise. I have heard of a few douche bags, but they are few and far between, and easy to avoid.

Housing is veryyyy nice. **** is the crappiest dorm on campus, but one of the most fun. The nicer they get, the less fun they are. The school is pretty strict, once you get in trouble, you really have to be careful as it is very easy to get kicked out. But the facilities are very nice - some dorms have baby grand pianos. If you live on campus and have a meal plan, you're pretty much always satisfied. Living off campus is much more fun though, but gets a bit costlier. Delaware's campus is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, especially during the spring. It can get pretty rainy sometimes, but it is SO worth it to be able to enjoy the awesomeness of the springs there. Every facility on Delaware's campus is very nice, they've been paying a lot for new construction and upping their campus standards. The library is huge, a little more dated than the other buildings on campus, but it's perfect for Delaware. The town of Newark isn't bad. Main Street is gorgeous and there's lots to do on it. There's plenty of different dining opportunities, and there's a bunch of really fun bars. Still, Newark townies really hate the college students, and muggings and other crimes are sadly, somewhat common, depending where you are on/near campus. The Newark police also try desperately to do anything to get your money, so whenever you see them, watch out. Other than that, police officers know there is a problem with townies and students and they work to be aware of this, although they could be doing more, in my mind.

I heard it's significantly harder to get in when you apply as an undecided major. I applied with a major, and luckily got in. My SAT score was 1180 (old version, 1700 something in the new version), and my high school GPA was a 3.3. I've heard that it has only gotten harder to get in since I applied.