Something for everyone

March 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Variety of classes; strong psychology program; great parties; diversity of students

Big undergraduate classes, particularly the first and second years, but persisting through fourth year

Comments

I'd suggest a visit - the campus is beautiful and you will probably get a sense walking around whether it's the right fit for you

Lots of the lower division classes for life science majors are the same so it's nice to have the option to switch majors and it's nice to have many people in your classes.

The dining is amazing. When I go home for breaks I actually start to miss the dining hall food. i never feel unsafe on campus and see people I know all over the place.

Personal statements were very important, however the questions were broad enough that you could bend what you want to write about to make it fit. The application was pretty general.

a little general, sometimes feel like I'm lost amongst the shuffle, class sizes: not as big as I expected, professors extremely intelligent, many research opportunities

FOOD IS AMAZING, housing is great, cost of living is mediocre, neighborhood is incredible: you can't get any nicer than belair/hollywood, facilities are top of the line, architecture is beautiful, my overall happiness increased by 1000 when I began attending UCLA

small class sizes from my major, difficult work load, interesting subjects

sorority house- reasonable cost, delicious dining hall food, safe campus, GREAT :)

UC application, essays, regular decision, scholarships (merit), financial aid- need based

High focus on a balance between academics and research. Various major degree requirements, depending on department. Lectures ranging from 60-300 and discussions ranging from 10-20 people in a class. College Academic Counseling as well as departmental counseling for individual majors.

The residential housing community is a great place to live and helps foster a very comforting transition into college. Campus is gorgeous and walking distance from residential halls. Crime is rare.

Common Application with Essays

general UC application - essay questions offer a great opportunity to share who you are

challenging

good everything

UC common app

The number and scope of GE classes varies within UCLA but in the College of Letters and Science, there are a total of 50-60 required non-major classes. the major requirements are very straightforward for science majors and there is a little more wiggle room for arts and humanities majors. While classes can be large and competitive, there are many ways in which to ensure a satisfactory grade: Discussion sections are held once a week and led by TA's. These sections are much smaller in size and are excellent review tools. Also, both the TA's and the professors themselves are required to hold office hours which is when students can come by and ask about the material and get assistance if necessary. Tutoring is available for most lower division classes. I have yet to be in a class that wasn't graded fairly: If you put in the effort and the hours, your grade will reflect that. Most of my professors have been extremely reasonable and well-accomplished. There are many study abroad options.

Love it at UCLA! I'm going on my second year living in the super-social residence halls. I'm in a triple, which is tight but much cheaper and easier to get into than a double. Cost of room and board seems steep, but I'm not a fair gauge because I've never had to pay for my own lodging or what have you before coming to college. The campus itself is very safe and kept extremely clean and well-maintained and would certainly appear to be the Ivy school of the west coast. Though some of the facilities are a little dated, most are very modern. The library is the coolest. Just don't leave your laptop laying around: You still have to be smart. Most people you meet are very friendly and helpful and the unspoken attitude is to pay it forward.

Filled out a standard application and wrote two essays well before the deadline because the website is notorious for getting bogged down. There were no interviews but select groups of students were asked to submit a third essay about a month or two after the original deadline. In April, the acceptance letters were mailed, and there was no wait-list. The acceptance packet included a rough financial aid estimate that held mostly true when my official aid offer came. There are scholarships based on both merit and financial aid.

good food, good living, very safe

Application for the UC system, regular decision, scholarship opportunities

Admissions was primarily based on GPA and SAT scores. However, it was very selective, and also considered essays and extra curricular activities.