Couldn't have picked a better undergrad school

November 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

Accessibility of professors. Even in larger classes professors make themselves available and love office hours
If you want to do anything that has anything to do with research, this is an incredible school. You'll learn to approach problems in a completely different way, something that will help you in virtually any career that you choose

Cost - if you're out of state in particular tuition can be out of control, and has a habit of rising all four years
Once you're committed to a major it can be difficult to transfer
Housing and parking are predictably hard to come by off campus, and are really expensive on
Very competitive scene on south campus. If you're in the sciences or engineering come prepared.

Comments

I would highly recommend this school. It's an elite university, and even though it doesn't come with the casual grading styles of schools like Harvard and Stanford you'll learn in a way you never thought possible in an incredibly fun city. Job prospects for graduates are a huge positive as well.

Something for everyone

March 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Variety of classes; strong psychology program; great parties; diversity of students

Big undergraduate classes, particularly the first and second years, but persisting through fourth year

Comments

I'd suggest a visit - the campus is beautiful and you will probably get a sense walking around whether it's the right fit for you

a little general, sometimes feel like I'm lost amongst the shuffle, class sizes: not as big as I expected, professors extremely intelligent, many research opportunities

FOOD IS AMAZING, housing is great, cost of living is mediocre, neighborhood is incredible: you can't get any nicer than belair/hollywood, facilities are top of the line, architecture is beautiful, my overall happiness increased by 1000 when I began attending UCLA

small class sizes from my major, difficult work load, interesting subjects

sorority house- reasonable cost, delicious dining hall food, safe campus, GREAT :)

UC application, essays, regular decision, scholarships (merit), financial aid- need based

High focus on a balance between academics and research. Various major degree requirements, depending on department. Lectures ranging from 60-300 and discussions ranging from 10-20 people in a class. College Academic Counseling as well as departmental counseling for individual majors.

The residential housing community is a great place to live and helps foster a very comforting transition into college. Campus is gorgeous and walking distance from residential halls. Crime is rare.

Common Application with Essays

Lots of the lower division classes for life science majors are the same so it's nice to have the option to switch majors and it's nice to have many people in your classes.

The dining is amazing. When I go home for breaks I actually start to miss the dining hall food. i never feel unsafe on campus and see people I know all over the place.

Personal statements were very important, however the questions were broad enough that you could bend what you want to write about to make it fit. The application was pretty general.

challenging

good everything

UC common app

Admissions was primarily based on GPA and SAT scores. However, it was very selective, and also considered essays and extra curricular activities.

We have basic general education requirements that one must fulfill before graduation. Some large lectures fit up to 500 students so classes can be large but will always be divided into smaller groups called discussions that meet with a TA who is studying in that subject. Ucla is very competitive especially in the premed classes and is a heavy workload. Study abroad is available is often utilized.

Dorm housing is a toss up based on what building you get. Cost is very high because it is in. A nice LA area. There are amazing facilities on campus, 17 libraries, sports fields, largest student union, grassy areas, etc. Safe campus.

The UC application requires a variety of background information from grades to volunteer work to employment and extra curricular activities. It also asked for 2 personal statements based on given prompts. The nursing school application required a resume, application form, and separate 3-4page essay.

For my major a supplemental application was required which included an interview, audition and extra personal statement