The quality of life at Tulane University

April 2018 | CURRENT STUDENT

I love the mix of cultures between the city of New Orleans and the campus of Tulane.

I do not think Tulane University has a strong math department

Comments

This school is a great choice if you are looking for a middle ground between a big state school and a small specialized school. You get to meet all different types of people in a city filled with so much culture.

Perfect Fit

September 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Faculty to is amazing.
Opportunities to take classes with world class professors like James Carville.
Social scene cannot be beaten no matter what your interests.

HOT in August and September.
Registration process can be a bit of beast.

Comments

You should visit the campus -- that's where I fell in love!

Amazing Univeristy

August 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Tulane is located in the heart of Uptown New Orleans so there is so much to do and see! And even if you don't want to venture into the city, the campus is beautiful and there is always a ton of stuff going on!

I would have liked if there was more school spirit for the athletic department.

Comments

Take advantage of being in New Orleans, which is a fun and historically interesting city!

Great School Great Networking

November 2014 | FORMER STUDENT

Great things about Tulane include Lifelong friendships, great networking, interesting and passionate instructors. The city of New Orleans is absolutely welcoming and will make any student feel "at home". Alumnis are always willing to help other Alumnis.

High Tuition, awful parking, Cowen got rid of the engineering school which I feel undermines the prestige of the degree

Comments

Career Counseling here leaves something to be desired. Be prepared to be your own career counselor.

General Requirements: one math, one english. foreign language, one lab science, 2 fine arts, 2 social sciences, public service
Major Degree Requirements: Two-tier public service, capstone
Class sizes: only one lecture hall on campus, so not many large classes, classes usually 30 students or less.
Work load: challenging but worth it
Faculty: extremely assessable, want you to do well.

Everyone is happy here, its a motivating environment and a fun environment at exactly the right balance. Facilities are great, the gym is awesome!!

Easy! Free application, one essay. Early action available. GREAT scholarships.

Tulane's classes are difficult and you do have to work hard in order to succeed in them. Tulane's core is relatively small and you can fulfill a lot of it with AP credit. Because the core is so concise it is very easy for most students to double and even triple major here and to do so in programs in multiple schools. You can be a biomedical engineering and dance double major. The academic advising program is great and when you declare a major you are assigned a major advisor who can ensure you fulfill your requirements. At Tulane the class sizes average around 22. The only classes that will be larger than that (around 100) are going to be your intro to psych, Calculus I, General Chem, etc. Beyond that the classes are extremely well sized and you never feel like just another face in the crowd. To that end Tulane also requires that its professors teach in order to work here. Because of that you will never be taught by a TA full time. Lots of other schools may brag about a 4:1 student/faculty ratio but how many of those are TAs? Tulane's ratio is 11:1 and we're never taught by TAs here (with the exception of meeting with them once per week in those Psych 101, Calc I classes to ask questions more intimately and go over homework). The professors are always accessible and really want to meet you and get to know you. I have gone out to dinner and drinks with my professors. I have been invited to dinner in their homes and to swim in their pools. They are all so kind and friendly and want you to do well in their classes. Many of the professors here need research assistants and there are opportunities for that in most departments. I love the academic climate here because we work extremely hard and want to achieve as much as possible but we don't have that cut-throat, super competitive hostile environment like other schools of our caliber. We respect each other as students and enjoy learning with each other. Notable faculty here include James Carville who is a total goof ball and teaches a great class on American political parties and elections. Study abroad programs are available here but the office is a little disorganized. I feel like I'm studying abroad here in New Orleans every day so not studying abroad didn't bother me much, but many students do their Junior year.

I have been an RA since sophomore year which has afforded me free housing and reduced board, however I would live on campus even if I didn't work. The dorms are great, social places to live and are all in pretty good shape. Campus facilities are pretty great. The cafeteria just got re-done and the food is always pretty good. There are lots of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options as well as normal food. The library is in great shape and the whole first floor features a "Learning Commons" with tons of mac and PC computers, a coffee kiosk, and tables and booths great for group work. Tulane works well within the community with our service learning requirement. All Tulane students are required to fulfill 2 tiers of community service to graduate. Because of this we do have a pretty good relationship with the surrounding community. Campus is completely safe and I have never felt threatened on campus. Beyond that, New Orleans is a city so you have to use your head just like when you walk around any other city. Overall I would say Tulane students LOVE being here. We are happy and I am devastated to graduate. I love it here.

Tulane is free to apply to which I think is a great perk. The only catch is you have to write an essay that answers the simple question "Why Tulane?". It can be a tough question to answer if you haven't visited which I highly encourage you do! Financial aid and scholarships are available and given to you when you sent your acceptance. You can also apply to be a community service scholar or a Dean's honors scholar (which is full tuition).

Core classes amount to 30 credits, major degree is usually about 30 credits, and minor qualifications is usually around 18 but you need 120 credits to graudate so you still have plenty of credits to explore classes with
Tulane is competative, youve got to be smart to come here so even if your used to always being top of your class get used to having to really try to maintain that, but if you put forth the effort you wil suceed

We live in New Orleans what else can you say? The city is absolutly amazing and we have a great relationship with city, especially because of all the community service we do in the city.
People aboslutely love it here, but its not like most state school where it is becuase of good sport teams, people just have pride in Tulane. And you can sense it, every one who is here is ridiculously happy to be here. You have to realize choosing college is more than about great adaemics or partying (both of which Tulane is great at) its about picking where you are going to live for four years and there is no place better than Tulane.

Very generous with financial aid
Most potential students fall in love with Tulane once they visit, so regular decision is probably the way to go

I'd say one of the biggest positives about Tulane is the accessibility of our professors. On the second day of class, my Intro to Microecon Professor gave all 45 students a placard with their name on in and took our picture. Within two weeks, he had all of our names memorized, and still says hello to me by name whenever we pass one another. And while that is obviously an extreme example, all of my professors take time to know my name and want to help me, as an undergraduate student, be successful.

The general requirements aren't too overwhelming, and AP scores can be very helpful!

People in New Orleans tend to love and enjoy life and Tulane students definitely do as well. I'd say we have one of the happiest campuses and students really do enjoy life. It is a good balance of on-and-off campus events as well.

In a massive academic recruitment effort, Tulane encouraged many well-qualified students to apply to the University with a free application, an early action decision, and a relatively basic application. The effects of this have been substantial, as students fill out the free application not intending to admit at Tulane, but visit and fall in love with the place. Thus, this has greatly increased the academic quality of the students! (I had this story, along with most people I know.)

The business school is excellent. I feel the faculty is always available to help students and we use real world examples in Socratic seminar style classes to extract every piece of information out of the course possible. Even my accounting classes are discussion based.

Going to school at Tulane in New Orleans is an experience unlike any other. The school is in an amazing city that continues to amaze me. The novelty of the city has not worn off after two years here and I discover something new every day.

The application process is pretty straightforward... I believe that they have added more Tulane specific essays since I applied do to the overwhelming increase in applications.

There are core requirements that every student must fulfill regardless of major or specific school. However, these requirements give each student a chance to explore every corner of the university. The student to professor ratio is 8 to 1, which means that every student has a chance to get to know every professor. The professors are very encouraging of every student to come and get to know them. Opportunities to work with professors become even more accessible because of the availability and accessibility of each professor.
The Study Abroad Programs are growing. There were a few years in which it was very difficult to study abroad, however, with new people in the Office of Study Abroad and the number of programs growing every year I have heard it is improving exponentially

There is always something to do here at Tulane both on and off campus. There is no school that can offer more opportunities to be a part of the city it is situated in, I can guarantee it. You don't just come to Tulane, you come to New Orleans.

Tulane now has a unique and additional essay question. We now want to know why you want to come to New Orleans. This extra question is a wonderful reflection of what is really important to the school and the student body.