Common Application with a supplement. The supplement is somewhat lengthy, but definitely worth completing. There are optional "essays" which include written options as well as more creative choices like making a video or creating something with a piece of paper. There is Early Decision 1, Early Decision 2, and Regular Decision--all three are fine times to apply. However, if you are sure that Tufts is the school for you, you should choose an ED deadline. Tufts also offers alumni interviews which are great to take advantage of if you think it can add to your application.

Tufts offers a wealth of academic options. At the school level, both the School of Engineering and the School of Arts & Sciences are located on the Medford/Somerville campus. Speaking from the point of an liberal arts student, I have had many different types of classes. Intro courses are generally large, by Tufts standards, mostly at around 100-150 students and are presented in lecture halls, these are always taught by professors. Fortunately, there are weekly "recitations," in which you review class material with a TA in a small classroom environment. After intro courses, classes get much smaller, typically around 30 students, although there is still variation. The smallest class I've taken at Tufts had six students. And language classes typically have around 12 students. I have never had trouble getting in touch with a teacher at Tufts. The school is academically competitive and the work load can be intense, but it's what should be expected at a quality institution. Grading is generally fair, albeit with less grade inflation than at other competitive colleges. Study abroad is highly encouraged for LA majors, not so much for engineers, and our programs are highly ranked. Additionally, Tufts works very hard to ensure the quality of their programs and easy of credit and financial aid transfer between schools. The student body is supportive and competitiveness is individually driven and not typically apparent among peers, although it exists to an extent. It is easy to switch and declare majors, and it is easy to switch from EN to LA, but it becomes difficult to switch from LA to EN as you move into your sophomore year. If you're on the fence, like me, try to decide earlier on.

There is wide variation in quality of housing, ranging from poor the excellent. Freshmen housing ranges from poor to respectable. After freshman year, options become better. Junior year housing is not guaranteed, but you can generally get it if you want it (this is also the year that most people take at least a semester abroad). Senior year, housing options are fantastic, however, a majority of seniors choose to lease off-campus houses with their friends. There is a variety of specialty housing at Tufts, from language housing to arts house to eco-friendly house, people can find their niche. The rest of facilities on campus are terrific and the dining halls are awesome by college standards. The Granoff Music Center and all of the Fletcher School buildings are particularly excellent. Crime is low, although there are a few off-campus muggings every year, generally at night with people walking alone on small streets. I am happy here, and I believe that most everybody else is to (except during finals and midterm periods).

The application process is comprehensive, complete with analysis of essays, short answers, tests scores, high school transcripts, interviews, and open-ended and creative options. Collectively, these allow admissions officers to get a more complete snapshot of each individual and, therefore, tailor a unique and diverse class. Tufts used the common application, but additional materials could be mailed to the school. Tufts tries its best to come as close to need blind admissions as possible, although recent financial issues have prevented entirely need blind admissions. The school offers fairly good financial aid, although, unlike some schools (e.g. Bates), it doesn't cover all demonstrated need with grant money.

There are a lot of distributional requirements. They are not as strict as core requirements, since they are based on area of study instead of type of class. These requirements include a six semester language requirement (which one can pass out of with enough language experience) too. Tufts also emphasizes giving students the opportunity to study abroad, and wants them to. Unfortunately, it is still hard for students in the engineering school to go abroad, though some people are able to manage it.

The housing facilities are not all great, but some are really nice. There's a lot of off campus housing, which I personally really enjoy too. The cost of living for off campus is high compared to the surrounding area of Medford/Somerville, but is not that much higher than other colleges I've heard about. The dining halls are fantastic - they have good options for everyone, and the quality is high for dining halls.

The Tufts application is unique - it's supplemental essay portion contains more questions than most applications. It changes every year, and usually includes questions that go outside the normal type of questions - some examples include a prompt called "gorilla vs. guerilla" (400 words or less), the ability to write a short story, or even a supplemental video essay.

Tufts requires its Liberal Arts students to complete 10 distribution credits (2 each in natural sciences, mathematical sciences, social sciences, humanities and the arts); 2 writing courses; 1 world civilization credit; 6 foreign language courses. Students have significant choice in which classes to take to fulfill these requirements, and many can double-count for a major or other requirements. Each major requires approximately 10-13 courses. Professors are extremely accessible and put their undergraduate students first. Research opportunities abound for Tufts undergrads, especially through programs like Summer Scholars. Average class size is 20 students, but many seminars are offered each semester for fewer than 12 students in each section. Study abroad is a popular choice at Tufts. It runs 10 programs in 8 different countries and has a list of more than 250 pre-approved study abroad options run by other institutions.

The housing is well-maintained and spacious. Most students choose to live off-campus in their junior/senior years -- our relationships with Medford and Somerville residents have improved significantly over time. It is a safe neighborhood. The dining halls serve consistently excellent and healthy choices. The libraries on campus are wonderful resources, as is Tufts' membership in the Boston Library Consortium. Overall, students are EXTREMELY HAPPY to be Tufts students.

Tufts prides itself on using a holistic application process. Although it accepts the Common App, the supplement is unique from year to year, asking prospective students questions like "What makes you tick?" or "If "curiosity killed the cat," why do we celebrate leaders like Ghandi and others who defy that maxim?" These questions require specific kinds of students to answer them and may turn others away (perhaps a reason why despite our high number of applicants we don't receive more). Interviews are not required, but are recommended should enough alumni be located in your area to conduct them. There are two rounds of Early Decision. The admissions team at Tufts strives to get to know the applicant on paper and through YouTube videos. They do an incredible job of recognizing the values of different types of learners and thinkers and consistently build an interesting class on the Hill.

The engineering major is challenging, with a pretty solid work load. The first two years consist of mostly core classes. Junior year you take major specific classes, and senior year you take advanced courses that are specific to the concentration that you select. The professors in general are excellent. Class size is as small as ~10 for specialized courses, and ~50 for the general classes. There are two freshman classes that are large lectures (entire class of 200 people), but they have small lab sections, and I found these classes perfectly manageable. Roughly 1/6 of the engineering students study abroad. I studied in Christchurch New Zealand, other countries that are common for engineers are: Australia, England, Ireland, and China (Hong Kong). Most classes have regular homework, with 1-2 midterms, and a final exam or project. Grades are on a 0-100 point scale, and then converted to a letter grade at the end. There is a lot of opportunity for undergraduate research and projects. I've worked on several projects at Tufts, as a visiting researcher at MIT, and doing research for local companies. Students are very collaborative and friendly, and are expected to work together on assignments.

Students are required to live in dorms their freshman year, and most students live in dorms their sophomore year. Students generally enjoy the dorm life, and find a good sense of community. In Junior year most students move off campus. The off campus housing is accessible and close to campus, and most students rent 3-5 person apartments with friends. Most students are pleased with the system. The dining halls are expensive, but provide a wide variety of excellent food. I had an unlimited meal plan for freshman and sophomore year, and cooked for myself junior and senior year because I had a kitchen in my apartment.

Tufts admissions require good grades, but that alone will not do it. There is a larger writing portion on the application than most other engineering schools, and you must prove that you are an interesting, well rounded person.

Several GE requirements, professors are always there, study abroad is very popular at Tufts, every student is academically well-rounded

food is great, people have great school spirit and are very friendly, one should be careful at night because crime occurs often, dorms are great, the city and the neighborhoods are fun

3 essays- I found the application very fair. I don't think SAT scores should be taken so much into consideration. There are so many aspects to the application that indicate a candidate's qualifications, that the SAT should be the least important component.

Normal admissions process, except Tufts includes some quirkier essay questions designed to give you more of a voice on your application.

There is a core curriculum that everyone must take, though there are many ways to fulfill it. I.e. two math, two natural science. two English, six language/culture, two social science. It is easy to get rid of these quickly, and AP credit helps. You are assigned an advisor through one of four programs, and then receive a new one from your major department when you declare a major (by the end of sophomore year). Classes range from big lectures to small seminars. Classes are competitive, but everyone helps each other succeed. Grading is generally fair. Many faculty perform cutting edge research, and it's possible to help out as an undergrad and even do your own research. Studying abroad is definitely easy if you plan ahead. Lots of homework, as to be expected.

Housing is okay, but living with all freshman is nice. Lottery system allows you to choose housing each year, though most juniors and seniors live off campus. The library is great, though sometimes hard to find a table during midterms/finals. "Off-campus" is literally across the street, and because of our focus on the community we get along well with our surrounding towns, and host events for them often. Apparently we have the highest crime rate, though anyone on campus would say they feel safe (though use common sense: don't walk alone at night). 99% of the people I meet absolutely love Tufts.

The school has ED1 and ED2, though I applied Regular Decision. It took the Common App, but also had a few additional essays. One was optional, and there were many rather unique questions to choose from. I chose to "write a short story entitled 'House of Cards.'" It provided some financial aid, but no merit scholarships. I, however, received a merit scholarship from the National Merit Scholarship Competition which Tufts participated in.

2015

There are foundation and distribution requirements, which generally have categories of courses you need to take (i.e. Humanities, Arts, Natural Sciences, Mathermatics, Social Sciences). There is a broad range of course options to fill any requirement. Major degree requirements are reasonable, and a good number of people double major. The academic advising leaves a little to be desired. You kind of have to stay on top of things yourself to make sure you're meeting all your requirements, but it's not too hard. There are a couple of huge lecture classes, most are under 100 people, and language classes are capped at 20, I think.The atmosphere at Tufts is not very competitive at all. People generally work together and help each other out. Workload all depends on how much you want to push yourself; it can be extremely strenuous or not bad at all, depending on the classes you take. Study abroad opportunities are amazing. Studying aborad is highly encourage and most people do it. You can literally go anywhere in the world--if there isn't a Tufts program there, there are tons of non-Tufts programs you can do.

Housing on campus is good, the cost of living is really low if you're on a meal plan. You really don't need to spend any money if you just eat at the dining halls all the time. The campus is beautiful. Our libraries are comfortable. The food is AMAZING.

The Common App plus the Tufts Supplement, which has some fill-in-the blank type questions like "What's your favorite song?" and fun things to get to know you better, as well as a couple of additional essays like "Why Tufts?" There's an interview, too. There are two rounds of early decision, as well as regular decision.

You have distribution and foundation requirements, and then about 10-12 classes for your major. There's a heavy language requirement, but it can be replaced with culture classes to an extent- I've loved my experience with the foreign language dept though and wish I could have taken more classes. Class sizes are only large in introductory classes and otherwise can range from 10-40 depending on the subject. It's pretty competitive, but not to a detrimental extent- students collaborate all the time with work. There is a fair bit of work but none of it has really been busy work so far.

I've so far been pretty happy with the housing and the people who've been my neighbors. The libraries- Tisch and Fletcher- are great. The facilities are great but not as large as you'll find in other universities, but that's because Tufts isn't really a large school. The student body is really friendly and quirky, the neighborhood has a lot to offer since there's easy access to Boston. Contrary to certain rankings, Tufts is extremely safe, and I've never felt threatened. The campus is easy to navigate- the hill really isn't a big deal at all!

About 3 short essays or so with one optional, in addition to common app. There was early decision, ed2, and regular (I applied regular). Tufts' had some of the best/most relatable questions in comparison to other schools.