We have a distribution requirement that students have to take two classes in five different topics (mathematical sciences, natural sciences, social sciences, arts, humanities). It is very, very easy to fulfill these requirements and students can use some AP or IB credits too. There is a language requirement for all arts and sciences students - six semesters and this can be intimidating. However, it is a requirement that is not as bad as it seems. It can be fulfilled in three ways: six semesters of one language, three semesters of one language and three semesters of another language or three semesters of a language and three culture classes that coordinate with that language. Most majors require 10 classes which is very easy to achieve since the average student will take 34 classes before graduation. The student body is not competitive with each other; most students are just competitive with their self. That makes for a very productively academic environment that is not cutthroat at all. The average class size is 20 students, although some introductory classes will be very large. If its a large class, it will break down into smaller discussions sections. Tufts has eleven different study abroad programs and also accepts credits from many other programs. Students are really encouraged to go abroad and 60% will go abroad at some point during their time at Tufts. Students get assigned to a pre-major advisor upon matriculation and once they declare their major they can pick their own advisor within that department.

The dorms on campus are really great and there are a variety of different living styles available.

The Tufts admissions process is very unique and elicits different information than normal applications so that we can learn more about the students applying. It is lengthy and unfortunately that alone sometimes scares students away from applying. The application includes the Common Application and several supplemental essays. These essays are fun to write, though! They can be silly prompts or an opportunity to write a short non-fiction story or a chance to add something more about yourself. And the optional essay actually is optional! It doesn't change anything about your application if you complete it or not.

In the School of Arts and Sciences there are a lot of core requirements but they are fun and there are many ways to fill them. Intro classes are large but they get smaller as you move past intro level. Some intro classes are much easier than others. Sciences are definitely a challenge and are difficult to complete even to students who took AP sciences in high school.

The campus at Tufts is excellent. It's very close to Boston and the surrounding neighborhoods which means there's plenty to do all the time but because the campus isn't directly in the city it has enough room to have a real campus. Housing is pretty good. Some dorms are better than others but none are awful. Students at Tufts are really happy at Tufts.

The Tufts application focused on the individual and whether they were well rounded and a good match for Tufts. There is an optional application that can consist of an essay, a drawing, or a video that is worth doing and really allows a student to identify themselves.

The level of intensity depends on the student and can be found any department.

Excellent quality of life, safe as long as you are smart.

Early decision essay, followed by a regular application process.

There are a ton of requirements to fulfill--2 semesters of a freshman writing requirement, 2 natural science, 2 humanities, 2 social science, 2 mathematics, 1 culture class, and 6 semesters of a language. I was able to get AP credits for humanities/social science, but these are the subjects that I'm majoring in so this didn't really help. It was a pain to do all the math and science when I didn't want to, so I tried to find "easy" courses for non-majors. The 6 semesters of a language sounds like a lot, but it is easy to waive out of at least a couple if you have taken a foreign language in high school. If, like me, you plan to major in International Relations, you will need 8 semesters of a language. If you stick with spanish, french, or a language you took in high school, then you won't spend your entire college career with the language. But if you start fresh, say with Arabic or Chinese, you will need to take it every semester. There are lots of study abroad opportunities, both through Tufts-run programs and other pre-approved options. About half of the junior class studies abroad each year. Grading is fair and there doesn't seem to be a ridiculous amount of inflation (or, on the other hand, deflation), but some of the intro "weed out" courses have a more rigid grade distribution than upper-level seminars. Workload is about what I expected coming in--classes are equivalent to AP courses in high school (or at least in my highly-competitive public high school). If you care about a class, you will want to work for it.

Facilities aren't great at Tufts--it is disappointing that Tufts hasn't put the money into improving its dorms, especially to compete with schools of a similar caliber that have worked hard in recent years to update dorm living. Overall, though, it's not about the buildings and Tufts students are generally very happy here. The campus is warm, friendly, and inviting, and it is likely you will run into at least 3 people you know on the way to class, which says a lot about our "not too big, but not too small" vibe. The library is spacious and modern, and is somewhat of a social hub on campus, especially during midterms and finals seasons. I have grown to absolutely love the neighborhood--Medford and Somerville are down to earth and filled with tons of fun activities, restaurants, and nightlife. And Boston is right at our fingertips, and I tend to go in a lot. Yes, there is some crime in the surrounding area, but I don't think that is uncommon for an area like this. I walk around with groups of people at night and feel totally safe.

Tufts requires the Common App, and has an additional supplement. Tufts' supplement was the longest that I completed (I applied to 15 schools of similar caliber). The supplement has 4-5 additional questions that cover a diverse range of topics, and the optional essay has a bunch of different quirky topics to focus on. Students even have the opportunity to create a 1 minute youtube video for the office of admissions to evaluate. Tufts has ED1, ED2, and regular decision cycles. Interviews are only conducted with alumni off campus and do not hold much, if any, weight in the admissions process. They are more informative than evaluative.

They push you, a lot. They expect a lot of you but if you put in the work, you'll do well.

Students has a lot of pride in going to tufts. The facilities are decent but definitely could use some work.

Common app. They really want to get to know you from their supplemental application.

Strong sense of community among mechanical engineers, everyone helps each other. Workload is really tough but with every hour.

Overall happiness is excellent, dorms could be better.

Optional essay is a great chance to showcase who you are. It's part of the common application supplement.

Lots of requirements. Global focus. Active citizenship.

Incredible!

Unique application essays.

There are many general requirements, but also many overlaps and many AP/IB credit opportunities. Major requirements are fairly typical. Academic advising is helpful if you want it to be. Class sizes are larger in intro classes, and smaller in more specific classes. Professors are good about office hours, and there are research opportunities for those who seek them. The environment is not hypercompetitive. Classes really vary in difficulty, depending on department and class. Workload seems typical of a top tier school. There are many, many student abroad opportunities, and many students take advantage of them.

Housing opportunities are many. Cost of living can be as low as you want it to be. The campus is pretty and small, but it is on a hill. The library is large and conducive to learning. The neighborhood is pleasant and resourceful, and close enough to Boston. Community relations are generally good, and very open to involvement by Tufts students. Tufts gets a bad reputation in crime, but it's a safe campus; the bad reputation is skewed by the medical school campus, which is not in Medford/Somerville.

Unique essays. Optional interview. Two dates for Early Decision, as well as regular decision.

Several GE requirements, professors are always there, study abroad is very popular at Tufts, every student is academically well-rounded

food is great, people have great school spirit and are very friendly, one should be careful at night because crime occurs often, dorms are great, the city and the neighborhoods are fun

3 essays- I found the application very fair. I don't think SAT scores should be taken so much into consideration. There are so many aspects to the application that indicate a candidate's qualifications, that the SAT should be the least important component.

There's no core per se, but 5 distribution areas that must be fulfilled. There are world civilization credits, a writing requirement, and quantitative analysis, but these are usually filled by Advanced Placement or SAT scores. There's a 6 semester foreign language requirement and about 40-50% of juniors choose to study abroad, either on 8 Tufts-affiliated programs or 215 pre-approved other opportunities. In addition, everyone must have a major (often 2 or 3) which is generally 10-12 courses. I receive one credit per course, regardless of how often it meets. Professors hold office hours and are approachable, even in large courses. The average course size is 20 students, but I have some as small as 8 or as large as 150. I've taken advantage of research opportunities, working in a biology research lab since sophomore year. I receive class credit for the work I do.

Housing is okay (I've seen better but also worse). Cost of living is high (this is Boston), but it's fairly easy to learn how to be economical especially with meal plans. The cafeteria food is really good. The neighborhoods surrounding are on the up and up, pretty safe by day, caution advised at night. I'd say the campus is pretty with plenty of places to hang out and study but small enough to never have to walk far. I like the libraries. They're all well-lit, with accessible hours, and accommodate a variety of learning styles. Students are very happy.

There's a Common Application with an extensive supplement (extra essays, videos/creative prompts). Students may apply Early Decision in 2 rounds, or regular decision. There is also an interview with an alumnus. Financial aid is entirely need-based, not merit.