Tufts University

4.3 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 140 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

In the School of Arts and Sciences there are a lot of core requirements but they are fun and there are many ways to fill them. Intro classes are large but they get smaller as you move past intro level. Some intro classes are much easier than others. Sciences are definitely a challenge and are difficult to complete even to students who took AP sciences in high school.

The campus at Tufts is excellent. It's very close to Boston and the surrounding neighborhoods which means there's plenty to do all the time but because the campus isn't directly in the city it has enough room to have a real campus. Housing is pretty good. Some dorms are better than others but none are awful. Students at Tufts are really happy at Tufts.

The Tufts application focused on the individual and whether they were well rounded and a good match for Tufts. There is an optional application that can consist of an essay, a drawing, or a video that is worth doing and really allows a student to identify themselves.

The level of intensity depends on the student and can be found any department.

Excellent quality of life, safe as long as you are smart.

Early decision essay, followed by a regular application process.

There are a ton of requirements to fulfill--2 semesters of a freshman writing requirement, 2 natural science, 2 humanities, 2 social science, 2 mathematics, 1 culture class, and 6 semesters of a language. I was able to get AP credits for humanities/social science, but these are the subjects that I'm majoring in so this didn't really help. It was a pain to do all the math and science when I didn't want to, so I tried to find "easy" courses for non-majors. The 6 semesters of a language sounds like a lot, but it is easy to waive out of at least a couple if you have taken a foreign language in high school. If, like me, you plan to major in International Relations, you will need 8 semesters of a language. If you stick with spanish, french, or a language you took in high school, then you won't spend your entire college career with the language. But if you start fresh, say with Arabic or Chinese, you will need to take it every semester. There are lots of study abroad opportunities, both through Tufts-run programs and other pre-approved options. About half of the junior class studies abroad each year. Grading is fair and there doesn't seem to be a ridiculous amount of inflation (or, on the other hand, deflation), but some of the intro "weed out" courses have a more rigid grade distribution than upper-level seminars. Workload is about what I expected coming in--classes are equivalent to AP courses in high school (or at least in my highly-competitive public high school). If you care about a class, you will want to work for it.

Facilities aren't great at Tufts--it is disappointing that Tufts hasn't put the money into improving its dorms, especially to compete with schools of a similar caliber that have worked hard in recent years to update dorm living. Overall, though, it's not about the buildings and Tufts students are generally very happy here. The campus is warm, friendly, and inviting, and it is likely you will run into at least 3 people you know on the way to class, which says a lot about our "not too big, but not too small" vibe. The library is spacious and modern, and is somewhat of a social hub on campus, especially during midterms and finals seasons. I have grown to absolutely love the neighborhood--Medford and Somerville are down to earth and filled with tons of fun activities, restaurants, and nightlife. And Boston is right at our fingertips, and I tend to go in a lot. Yes, there is some crime in the surrounding area, but I don't think that is uncommon for an area like this. I walk around with groups of people at night and feel totally safe.

Tufts requires the Common App, and has an additional supplement. Tufts' supplement was the longest that I completed (I applied to 15 schools of similar caliber). The supplement has 4-5 additional questions that cover a diverse range of topics, and the optional essay has a bunch of different quirky topics to focus on. Students even have the opportunity to create a 1 minute youtube video for the office of admissions to evaluate. Tufts has ED1, ED2, and regular decision cycles. Interviews are only conducted with alumni off campus and do not hold much, if any, weight in the admissions process. They are more informative than evaluative.

They push you, a lot. They expect a lot of you but if you put in the work, you'll do well.

Students has a lot of pride in going to tufts. The facilities are decent but definitely could use some work.

Common app. They really want to get to know you from their supplemental application.

Strong sense of community among mechanical engineers, everyone helps each other. Workload is really tough but with every hour.

Overall happiness is excellent, dorms could be better.

Optional essay is a great chance to showcase who you are. It's part of the common application supplement.

Lots of requirements. Global focus. Active citizenship.

Incredible!

Unique application essays.

There are many general requirements, but also many overlaps and many AP/IB credit opportunities. Major requirements are fairly typical. Academic advising is helpful if you want it to be. Class sizes are larger in intro classes, and smaller in more specific classes. Professors are good about office hours, and there are research opportunities for those who seek them. The environment is not hypercompetitive. Classes really vary in difficulty, depending on department and class. Workload seems typical of a top tier school. There are many, many student abroad opportunities, and many students take advantage of them.

Housing opportunities are many. Cost of living can be as low as you want it to be. The campus is pretty and small, but it is on a hill. The library is large and conducive to learning. The neighborhood is pleasant and resourceful, and close enough to Boston. Community relations are generally good, and very open to involvement by Tufts students. Tufts gets a bad reputation in crime, but it's a safe campus; the bad reputation is skewed by the medical school campus, which is not in Medford/Somerville.

Unique essays. Optional interview. Two dates for Early Decision, as well as regular decision.

Several GE requirements, professors are always there, study abroad is very popular at Tufts, every student is academically well-rounded

food is great, people have great school spirit and are very friendly, one should be careful at night because crime occurs often, dorms are great, the city and the neighborhoods are fun

3 essays- I found the application very fair. I don't think SAT scores should be taken so much into consideration. There are so many aspects to the application that indicate a candidate's qualifications, that the SAT should be the least important component.

The classes are challenging, but exciting and definitely manageable. The faculty is exceptionally enthusiastic and eager to help and talk. The school is extremely supportive of study abroad even if you have a demanding major, and most students do study abroad. Professor encourage collaboration, and most students are happy to help and work with you on an assignment. There are distribution requirements, but no real required courses.

I'd say overall happiness is pretty high. The food is great (especially for vegetarians) and the dorms are pretty good. Community relations are at a high. Crime hasnt been a big problem.

The common app and a supplement are required to apply. There are two rounds of (binding) early decision- one in the fall and one in the spring. The supplement has a couple of short essays (that are really fun to write) and an optional essay.

Huge workload but great faculty....For Engineering Studens, yiu have 38 classes to satisfy graduation requirements and foe Liberal arts, 32. However, students may have fewer requirements to satisfy if they have pre-matriculation credits (APs, IBs e.t.c.)

You would be happy for your choice! No room for regrets!

Intense application. Lots of essays. Great Financial aid package!