4.3 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 140 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

There are a ton of requirements to fulfill--2 semesters of a freshman writing requirement, 2 natural science, 2 humanities, 2 social science, 2 mathematics, 1 culture class, and 6 semesters of a language. I was able to get AP credits for humanities/social science, but these are the subjects that I'm majoring in so this didn't really help. It was a pain to do all the math and science when I didn't want to, so I tried to find "easy" courses for non-majors. The 6 semesters of a language sounds like a lot, but it is easy to waive out of at least a couple if you have taken a foreign language in high school. If, like me, you plan to major in International Relations, you will need 8 semesters of a language. If you stick with spanish, french, or a language you took in high school, then you won't spend your entire college career with the language. But if you start fresh, say with Arabic or Chinese, you will need to take it every semester. There are lots of study abroad opportunities, both through Tufts-run programs and other pre-approved options. About half of the junior class studies abroad each year. Grading is fair and there doesn't seem to be a ridiculous amount of inflation (or, on the other hand, deflation), but some of the intro "weed out" courses have a more rigid grade distribution than upper-level seminars. Workload is about what I expected coming in--classes are equivalent to AP courses in high school (or at least in my highly-competitive public high school). If you care about a class, you will want to work for it.

Facilities aren't great at Tufts--it is disappointing that Tufts hasn't put the money into improving its dorms, especially to compete with schools of a similar caliber that have worked hard in recent years to update dorm living. Overall, though, it's not about the buildings and Tufts students are generally very happy here. The campus is warm, friendly, and inviting, and it is likely you will run into at least 3 people you know on the way to class, which says a lot about our "not too big, but not too small" vibe. The library is spacious and modern, and is somewhat of a social hub on campus, especially during midterms and finals seasons. I have grown to absolutely love the neighborhood--Medford and Somerville are down to earth and filled with tons of fun activities, restaurants, and nightlife. And Boston is right at our fingertips, and I tend to go in a lot. Yes, there is some crime in the surrounding area, but I don't think that is uncommon for an area like this. I walk around with groups of people at night and feel totally safe.

Tufts requires the Common App, and has an additional supplement. Tufts' supplement was the longest that I completed (I applied to 15 schools of similar caliber). The supplement has 4-5 additional questions that cover a diverse range of topics, and the optional essay has a bunch of different quirky topics to focus on. Students even have the opportunity to create a 1 minute youtube video for the office of admissions to evaluate. Tufts has ED1, ED2, and regular decision cycles. Interviews are only conducted with alumni off campus and do not hold much, if any, weight in the admissions process. They are more informative than evaluative.

The level of intensity depends on the student and can be found any department.

Excellent quality of life, safe as long as you are smart.

Early decision essay, followed by a regular application process.

In the School of Arts and Sciences there are a lot of core requirements but they are fun and there are many ways to fill them. Intro classes are large but they get smaller as you move past intro level. Some intro classes are much easier than others. Sciences are definitely a challenge and are difficult to complete even to students who took AP sciences in high school.

The campus at Tufts is excellent. It's very close to Boston and the surrounding neighborhoods which means there's plenty to do all the time but because the campus isn't directly in the city it has enough room to have a real campus. Housing is pretty good. Some dorms are better than others but none are awful. Students at Tufts are really happy at Tufts.

The Tufts application focused on the individual and whether they were well rounded and a good match for Tufts. There is an optional application that can consist of an essay, a drawing, or a video that is worth doing and really allows a student to identify themselves.

They push you, a lot. They expect a lot of you but if you put in the work, you'll do well.

Students has a lot of pride in going to tufts. The facilities are decent but definitely could use some work.

Common app. They really want to get to know you from their supplemental application.

Strong sense of community among mechanical engineers, everyone helps each other. Workload is really tough but with every hour.

Overall happiness is excellent, dorms could be better.

Optional essay is a great chance to showcase who you are. It's part of the common application supplement.

There are many general requirements, but also many overlaps and many AP/IB credit opportunities. Major requirements are fairly typical. Academic advising is helpful if you want it to be. Class sizes are larger in intro classes, and smaller in more specific classes. Professors are good about office hours, and there are research opportunities for those who seek them. The environment is not hypercompetitive. Classes really vary in difficulty, depending on department and class. Workload seems typical of a top tier school. There are many, many student abroad opportunities, and many students take advantage of them.

Housing opportunities are many. Cost of living can be as low as you want it to be. The campus is pretty and small, but it is on a hill. The library is large and conducive to learning. The neighborhood is pleasant and resourceful, and close enough to Boston. Community relations are generally good, and very open to involvement by Tufts students. Tufts gets a bad reputation in crime, but it's a safe campus; the bad reputation is skewed by the medical school campus, which is not in Medford/Somerville.

Unique essays. Optional interview. Two dates for Early Decision, as well as regular decision.

Lots of requirements. Global focus. Active citizenship.

Incredible!

Unique application essays.

Several GE requirements, professors are always there, study abroad is very popular at Tufts, every student is academically well-rounded

food is great, people have great school spirit and are very friendly, one should be careful at night because crime occurs often, dorms are great, the city and the neighborhoods are fun

3 essays- I found the application very fair. I don't think SAT scores should be taken so much into consideration. There are so many aspects to the application that indicate a candidate's qualifications, that the SAT should be the least important component.

I've taken some great classes at Tufts so far-- "Documentary Filming" and "Contemporary Crises in Africa" were probably my two favorite ones thus far. The class sizes are often small/medium sized, which I prefer, and even the larger ones aren't overwhelming in size. I've been able to meet with my professors outside of class without any problem-- overall, I'd say there is a very good sense of connection between students, teachers and peers at Tufts.

Tufts has a great location and campus. I was happy living in my all-freshmen dorm my first year, enjoyed the food in the dining halls, and spent a lot of my time in the Tisch Library, which has a great working environment. I play a lot of basketball at both the outdoor courts by South Hall and in Cousens Gym. Being always able to play pickup basketball makes me happy.

Tufts was one of several schools I applied to. I visited the campus in August 2009 and was very impressed. I went to an information session hosted by the Dean of Admissions, Lee Coffin, in Septemer 2009, and then finally decided to apply. It took me a few days of typing and editing to finish my application essays and compile other application materials, such as my 10-minute video portfolio. I liked a lot of the essays though-- especially one imagining how history would have unfolded had the colonists lost the American Revolution-- and sent in all my material by the Regular Decision deadline in late December. I had an interview with a Tufts alum, Brian Wolly, in January, and was very excited when I received my acceptance letter in late March.

General requirements: 2 arts, 2 humanities, 2 world civilization, 2 english, 2 mathematics, 6 language/culture.

Additional requirements added for any majors or minors one may pursue.

Housing is clean and well maintained. Outdoors, the buildings are beautiful. Indoors, they're somewhat old. The campus is lovely and located very close to the center of Boston. We are far enough away that we have limited crime and relative insulation when it comes to studying, but close enough that we can go in every day of the week with minimal cost or effort, if we choose.

The food is outstanding. We have amazing choices every day, much of it sustainable. We always feature food with the highest quality/health characteristics.

Tufts requires four or five essays instead of the standard 2 or 3. They have alumni interview prospective students, area student gatherings, on campus tours and several other behavioral review situations. They look for creativity and achievement in all areas of pursuit, not simply academia. We have two binding early decision application deadlines, we use the common application, and financial aid and scholarships are available. If you feel you have not been offered enough financial aid, you can consult our officers for more. Generally, they are very helpful in assisting students in need.