Tufts University

4.3 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (140 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

General requirements: 2 arts, 2 humanities, 2 world civilization, 2 english, 2 mathematics, 6 language/culture. Additional requirements added for any majors or minors one may pursue.

Housing is clean and well maintained. Outdoors, the buildings are beautiful. Indoors, they're somewhat old. The campus is lovely and located very close to the center of Boston. We are far enough away that we have limited crime and relative insulation when it comes to studying, but close enough that we can go in every day of the week with minimal cost or effort, if we choose. The food is outstanding. We have amazing choices every day, much of it sustainable. We always feature food with the highest quality/health characteristics.

Comments

Tufts requires four or five essays instead of the standard 2 or 3. They have alumni interview prospective students, area student gatherings, on campus tours and several other behavioral review situations. They look for creativity and achievement in all areas of pursuit, not simply academia. We have two binding early decision application deadlines, we use the common application, and financial aid and scholarships are available. If you feel you have not been offered enough financial aid, you can consult our officers for more. Generally, they are very helpful in assisting students in need.

Date: 2011

I have had many good professors at Tufts, though the faculty does have its strengths and weaknesses. I feel that for every lower-quality professor we have, there are many great professors. There are some truly exceptional professors here at Tufts, you just need to know where to find them! There are many distribution requirements for Arts and Sciences students and the engineering students aren't allowed a lot of flexibility in class selection. The most burdensome of which is the 6 semester language distribution, especially if you come in without AP credit in a language. Of course, any AP credit helps get you out of distribution requirements and allows you to take that physical education or art class you have been dying to take. There is a large variety of classes offered at Tufts, the only hard part making sure they fit into your schedule. There are many very interesting classes offered, especially the experimental college classes which you are able to register for on the first day of classes.

I feel very safe on campus and pretty safe in the surrounding areas outside of campus.

Comments

The supplemental application for Tufts consists of one short answer prompt, two medium length essays, and gives a variety of optional essay prompts.

Date: 2011

They push you, a lot. They expect a lot of you but if you put in the work, you'll do well.

Students has a lot of pride in going to tufts. The facilities are decent but definitely could use some work.

Comments

Common app. They really want to get to know you from their supplemental application.

Date: 2011

People love Tufts but are very stressed

Comments

all of the above

Date: 2011

Tufts offers a wealth of academic options. At the school level, both the School of Engineering and the School of Arts & Sciences are located on the Medford/Somerville campus. Speaking from the point of an liberal arts student, I have had many different types of classes. Intro courses are generally large, by Tufts standards, mostly at around 100-150 students and are presented in lecture halls, these are always taught by professors. Fortunately, there are weekly "recitations," in which you review class material with a TA in a small classroom environment. After intro courses, classes get much smaller, typically around 30 students, although there is still variation. The smallest class I've taken at Tufts had six students. And language classes typically have around 12 students. I have never had trouble getting in touch with a teacher at Tufts. The school is academically competitive and the work load can be intense, but it's what should be expected at a quality institution. Grading is generally fair, albeit with less grade inflation than at other competitive colleges. Study abroad is highly encouraged for LA majors, not so much for engineers, and our programs are highly ranked. Additionally, Tufts works very hard to ensure the quality of their programs and easy of credit and financial aid transfer between schools. The student body is supportive and competitiveness is individually driven and not typically apparent among peers, although it exists to an extent. It is easy to switch and declare majors, and it is easy to switch from EN to LA, but it becomes difficult to switch from LA to EN as you move into your sophomore year. If you're on the fence, like me, try to decide earlier on.

There is wide variation in quality of housing, ranging from poor the excellent. Freshmen housing ranges from poor to respectable. After freshman year, options become better. Junior year housing is not guaranteed, but you can generally get it if you want it (this is also the year that most people take at least a semester abroad). Senior year, housing options are fantastic, however, a majority of seniors choose to lease off-campus houses with their friends. There is a variety of specialty housing at Tufts, from language housing to arts house to eco-friendly house, people can find their niche. The rest of facilities on campus are terrific and the dining halls are awesome by college standards. The Granoff Music Center and all of the Fletcher School buildings are particularly excellent. Crime is low, although there are a few off-campus muggings every year, generally at night with people walking alone on small streets. I am happy here, and I believe that most everybody else is to (except during finals and midterm periods).

Comments

The application process is comprehensive, complete with analysis of essays, short answers, tests scores, high school transcripts, interviews, and open-ended and creative options. Collectively, these allow admissions officers to get a more complete snapshot of each individual and, therefore, tailor a unique and diverse class. Tufts used the common application, but additional materials could be mailed to the school. Tufts tries its best to come as close to need blind admissions as possible, although recent financial issues have prevented entirely need blind admissions. The school offers fairly good financial aid, although, unlike some schools (e.g. Bates), it doesn't cover all demonstrated need with grant money.

Date: 2011

There are distribution requirements, major degree requirements, and then an additional language requirement of six semesters.

Comments

Pretty much the same as other selective colleges, Common Application, interview,test scores, the whole thing. THough on the application it's highly recommended that you do the optional essay.

Date: 2011

Comments

Normal admissions process, except Tufts includes some quirkier essay questions designed to give you more of a voice on your application.

Date: 2011

There are foundation and distribution requirements, which generally have categories of courses you need to take (i.e. Humanities, Arts, Natural Sciences, Mathermatics, Social Sciences). There is a broad range of course options to fill any requirement. Major degree requirements are reasonable, and a good number of people double major. The academic advising leaves a little to be desired. You kind of have to stay on top of things yourself to make sure you're meeting all your requirements, but it's not too hard. There are a couple of huge lecture classes, most are under 100 people, and language classes are capped at 20, I think.The atmosphere at Tufts is not very competitive at all. People generally work together and help each other out. Workload all depends on how much you want to push yourself; it can be extremely strenuous or not bad at all, depending on the classes you take. Study abroad opportunities are amazing. Studying aborad is highly encourage and most people do it. You can literally go anywhere in the world--if there isn't a Tufts program there, there are tons of non-Tufts programs you can do.

Housing on campus is good, the cost of living is really low if you're on a meal plan. You really don't need to spend any money if you just eat at the dining halls all the time. The campus is beautiful. Our libraries are comfortable. The food is AMAZING.

Comments

The Common App plus the Tufts Supplement, which has some fill-in-the blank type questions like "What's your favorite song?" and fun things to get to know you better, as well as a couple of additional essays like "Why Tufts?" There's an interview, too. There are two rounds of early decision, as well as regular decision.

Date: 2011

Class size is generally small, with the exception of some Intro courses, which have I'd say a maximum of 150 students. All Tufts students are required to take 6 semesters of a language, and if you're an International Relations major, then you must take 8 semesters of a language to insure that you are proficient in something other than English. Grades ARE NOT inflated. Curves are practically never given. Tufts also makes it very easy for their students to study abroad. For example, even though I'm double majoring, I'll be able to go abroad for an entire year. It is a VERY STRESSFUL school. A lot of homework, but it's usually so interesting that it makes it easier to do.

Comments

Unique application essays, optional interview which can make you or break you, ED I and II available. Tufts gave me an amazing financial aid package the first year! and continued to do so. My parents would have never been able to afford this school. In fact, my parents' combined income is about 65,000 a year, and Tufts is 57,000, not counting expenses.

Date: 2011

Under the liberal arts degree, certain core classes are required to ensure that one is well-rounded. Personally, I think the required classes are great and well-balanced, especially as there are a number of ways to satisfy them. Advising is whatever you make of it; You can visit your advisor once a semester or every week and gain the most from it. Workload truly varies with classes; some classes take up practically 10 hours of your week outside of class and others require a single reading. There really is no average.

As a freshman and sophomore, you are required to live on campus. As a junior, you are not guaranteed housing so most upperclassmen live off-campus which isn't as scary as it sounds. Living off-campus is practically the same as living on campus -- only cooler. There are so many facilities available to students; it all depends on if you make use of them. The are multiple libraries and each one provides a different studying atmosphere. The dining hall is actually pretty great but once you get tired of it, there are other options that are easily accessible.

Comments

You're really allowed to shine with one of the prompts which is a reminder of how much you're viewed as an individual, not a mere applicant.