The engineering major is challenging, with a pretty solid work load. The first two years consist of mostly core classes. Junior year you take major specific classes, and senior year you take advanced courses that are specific to the concentration that you select. The professors in general are excellent. Class size is as small as ~10 for specialized courses, and ~50 for the general classes. There are two freshman classes that are large lectures (entire class of 200 people), but they have small lab sections, and I found these classes perfectly manageable. Roughly 1/6 of the engineering students study abroad. I studied in Christchurch New Zealand, other countries that are common for engineers are: Australia, England, Ireland, and China (Hong Kong). Most classes have regular homework, with 1-2 midterms, and a final exam or project. Grades are on a 0-100 point scale, and then converted to a letter grade at the end. There is a lot of opportunity for undergraduate research and projects. I've worked on several projects at Tufts, as a visiting researcher at MIT, and doing research for local companies. Students are very collaborative and friendly, and are expected to work together on assignments.

Students are required to live in dorms their freshman year, and most students live in dorms their sophomore year. Students generally enjoy the dorm life, and find a good sense of community. In Junior year most students move off campus. The off campus housing is accessible and close to campus, and most students rent 3-5 person apartments with friends. Most students are pleased with the system. The dining halls are expensive, but provide a wide variety of excellent food. I had an unlimited meal plan for freshman and sophomore year, and cooked for myself junior and senior year because I had a kitchen in my apartment.

Tufts admissions require good grades, but that alone will not do it. There is a larger writing portion on the application than most other engineering schools, and you must prove that you are an interesting, well rounded person.

Depending on the class, there is often a reasonable amount of work assigned. The staff/faculty is always there to help every step of the way. As an engineer, most of my class require problem sets and projects. They also almost always include a lab. This is great because we get to put theory in to practice

Housing is awesome, the campus is beautiful (thanks to great work from the grounds crew. The dining is amongst the best. They always have good, quality food. They help you with financial things if you need it and make sure they make life for students really easy to the point where you only have to worry about doing well in your classes.

General requirements are pretty easy to fulfill. Overall I'm happy that they're there. It's a great way to allow you remain to be undecided while you're coming in.

Class sizes are a little larger than I was expecting, but as you get into higher level classes the sizes definitely decrease. I'm okay with the sizes being what they are because it means that you can get into higher demand classes as an underclassmen.

There are lots of opportunities to work with professors in labs, doing research, etc. And career services is fantastic at helping you find an internship if you want one.

Study abroad is HIGHLY encouraged. Most students are abroad at least one semester their junior year.

Common App, plus supplement. The essays are pretty fun and apparently there is now an optional youtube video component.

2009

In the Engineering College, you pretty much have every semester for all four years planned out for you, so there really isn't much room to pick and choose what you want. It's very direct--you get GE/core classes out of the way freshman year and by sophomore year you're already getting into concentration elective. Classes are hard and hard to do well in--it's definitely not a school were slacking off is possible, if you want decent grades. The workload is manageable if you don't procrastinate. The professors are great and incredibly knowledgeable in their respective fields. And Tufts is probably one of the best colleges to go on a study abroad program. It's a pretty competitive school, where all the students are striving to do their best, but not cutthroat, where students are trying to undermine each other to reach their academic goals.

Depending on where you're put in, housing is pretty decent. The cost of living is high, but the dorms are good enough that you don't complain. The campus itself is pretty safe, even late at night, and during the day, there are a ton of places you could explore that are right off campus. It's close enough to the big city if you're ever interested in going, but far enough that you have a nice buffer between hectic, crowded city life. As for facilities, the gym definitely needs work, but the library, music center, and campus center are all pretty nice. Tufts is a really happy school; you'd be hard-pressed to find people who are genuinely unhappy here.

The application questions/essays are really open--there are no restrictions and they allow for a lot of creative freedom. In fact, I found my Tufts application to be the most fun out of all the others I did. Tufts isn't with the greatest endowment, so financial aid and scholarship opportunities are fewer, but the school does what it can for its students with what it has.

Unique essays, no interview, early decision available

Normal admissions process, except Tufts includes some quirkier essay questions designed to give you more of a voice on your application.

You have distribution and foundation requirements, and then about 10-12 classes for your major. There's a heavy language requirement, but it can be replaced with culture classes to an extent- I've loved my experience with the foreign language dept though and wish I could have taken more classes. Class sizes are only large in introductory classes and otherwise can range from 10-40 depending on the subject. It's pretty competitive, but not to a detrimental extent- students collaborate all the time with work. There is a fair bit of work but none of it has really been busy work so far.

I've so far been pretty happy with the housing and the people who've been my neighbors. The libraries- Tisch and Fletcher- are great. The facilities are great but not as large as you'll find in other universities, but that's because Tufts isn't really a large school. The student body is really friendly and quirky, the neighborhood has a lot to offer since there's easy access to Boston. Contrary to certain rankings, Tufts is extremely safe, and I've never felt threatened. The campus is easy to navigate- the hill really isn't a big deal at all!

About 3 short essays or so with one optional, in addition to common app. There was early decision, ed2, and regular (I applied regular). Tufts' had some of the best/most relatable questions in comparison to other schools.

Class size is generally small, with the exception of some Intro courses, which have I'd say a maximum of 150 students. All Tufts students are required to take 6 semesters of a language, and if you're an International Relations major, then you must take 8 semesters of a language to insure that you are proficient in something other than English. Grades ARE NOT inflated. Curves are practically never given. Tufts also makes it very easy for their students to study abroad. For example, even though I'm double majoring, I'll be able to go abroad for an entire year. It is a VERY STRESSFUL school. A lot of homework, but it's usually so interesting that it makes it easier to do.

Unique application essays, optional interview which can make you or break you, ED I and II available. Tufts gave me an amazing financial aid package the first year! and continued to do so. My parents would have never been able to afford this school. In fact, my parents' combined income is about 65,000 a year, and Tufts is 57,000, not counting expenses.

With the exception of a few intro-level courses, classes are all small enough that the professor gets to know you. And you'll never have TAs doing the bulk of the teaching like you get at a lot of schools. Professors are very personable and accessible. There are no "core classes", but you do have to take a certain number of courses in different general categories, which is a nice way to ensure that students get a well-rounded education while allowing students to take classes they're genuinely interested in.

Most students really love to be here. Tufts has a great sense of community, since its small enough that events can unite the whole campus, and students feel as though they have things in common just by being students here, but never so small that it feels claustrophobic or cliquish.

They have optional essays which encourage students to show their creativity, which I think is a nice way to get a broader picture of a student, but lots of people get in without doing them too.

There are lots of core requirements at Tufts, which as a student has helped me to explore areas I wouldn't have otherwise. The major degree requirements are not too strict, and there is certainly room to double major or minor. There is a lot of encouragement to study abroad while at Tufts.

Cost of living is a little pricey, but not too bad. The campus housing is good quality for the most part. I was please with library and dining facilities, and have felt generally safe on the Tufts campus.

The Tufts optional essays are rather unique and require a certain amount of creativity. Otherwise, the application is pretty standard. My interview with an alumnus was helpful in learning more about the school.