Tufts University

4.3 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (140 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

I've taken some great classes at Tufts so far-- "Documentary Filming" and "Contemporary Crises in Africa" were probably my two favorite ones thus far. The class sizes are often small/medium sized, which I prefer, and even the larger ones aren't overwhelming in size. I've been able to meet with my professors outside of class without any problem-- overall, I'd say there is a very good sense of connection between students, teachers and peers at Tufts.

Tufts has a great location and campus. I was happy living in my all-freshmen dorm my first year, enjoyed the food in the dining halls, and spent a lot of my time in the Tisch Library, which has a great working environment. I play a lot of basketball at both the outdoor courts by South Hall and in Cousens Gym. Being always able to play pickup basketball makes me happy.

Comments

Tufts was one of several schools I applied to. I visited the campus in August 2009 and was very impressed. I went to an information session hosted by the Dean of Admissions, Lee Coffin, in Septemer 2009, and then finally decided to apply. It took me a few days of typing and editing to finish my application essays and compile other application materials, such as my 10-minute video portfolio. I liked a lot of the essays though-- especially one imagining how history would have unfolded had the colonists lost the American Revolution-- and sent in all my material by the Regular Decision deadline in late December. I had an interview with a Tufts alum, Brian Wolly, in January, and was very excited when I received my acceptance letter in late March.

Date: 2011

Outgoing, exciting students, but very low quality (and poorly organized) housing compared to similar caliber universities. Residential spaces are organized more like cheap hotels than spaces for developing community. Some dorms were built specifically to be anti-social because the administration in the 60s that student would riot if they gathered in groups. The neighborhood is generally quiet and the university is very lenient about giving townspeople access to campus, for better or worse.

Comments

Generally standard application process with an expectation of displaying creativity and uniqueness in essay

Date: 2011

The classes are challenging, but exciting and definitely manageable. The faculty is exceptionally enthusiastic and eager to help and talk. The school is extremely supportive of study abroad even if you have a demanding major, and most students do study abroad. Professor encourage collaboration, and most students are happy to help and work with you on an assignment. There are distribution requirements, but no real required courses.

I'd say overall happiness is pretty high. The food is great (especially for vegetarians) and the dorms are pretty good. Community relations are at a high. Crime hasnt been a big problem.

Comments

The common app and a supplement are required to apply. There are two rounds of (binding) early decision- one in the fall and one in the spring. The supplement has a couple of short essays (that are really fun to write) and an optional essay.

Date: 2011

Comments

Common Application with a supplement. The supplement is somewhat lengthy, but definitely worth completing. There are optional "essays" which include written options as well as more creative choices like making a video or creating something with a piece of paper. There is Early Decision 1, Early Decision 2, and Regular Decision--all three are fine times to apply. However, if you are sure that Tufts is the school for you, you should choose an ED deadline. Tufts also offers alumni interviews which are great to take advantage of if you think it can add to your application.

Date: 2011

Comments

In addition the the common application, one fifty word essay, two twho hundred and fifty word essays were required. There was also an additional optional supplement that could take many different forms (art work, short story, essay, etc). An interview was offered but not required. There are also two early decision deadlines, one in November and one in December. I did not apply for financial aid, so I can't speak to that expect to say that no merrit based scholarships were offered.

Date: 2011

Several GE requirements, professors are always there, study abroad is very popular at Tufts, every student is academically well-rounded

food is great, people have great school spirit and are very friendly, one should be careful at night because crime occurs often, dorms are great, the city and the neighborhoods are fun

Comments

3 essays- I found the application very fair. I don't think SAT scores should be taken so much into consideration. There are so many aspects to the application that indicate a candidate's qualifications, that the SAT should be the least important component.

mathmatical

Comments

pertty standard with a fun suplimentary

Date: 2011

There are quite a few requirements: two semesters of each math, humanities, social science, natural science and art, as well as one world civilization requirement, two semesters of english, and six language/culture classes. I believe all of the majors have 10 required classes, and minors have just a couple less than that. Classes are fairly small, especially once you are no longer taking introductory courses. Academic advising is pretty strong- you meet with your advisor at least once per semester to discuss courses. Research opportunities are easier in some departments than others, but definitely available if you want them to be. Study abroad is encouraged and a large percentage of students participate. Students are competitive, but it's not overbearing. Grades seem mostly fair-- but more TAs grade things that I expected.

Students must live on campus their first two years, so there isn't much you can do about the cost of living. Off campus housing costs around $600/month, to my knowledge. Dining is good, library is a good size for the size of the school, but the gym is horrible (way too small, bad location). I always feel safe on campus. In the areas surrounding it, I feel safe during the day alone and at night with friends. I wouldn't walk alone at night, although it is likely that nothing would happen. Tufts tries to be involved in the community and has several tutoring programs that help neighborhood kids.

Comments

Tufts uses the Common App with additional supplements. I believe two were mandatory and one was optional. One of the choices for the optional was to make a YouTube video, which has received a lot of publicity. They recommend having an interview with an alumnus, but it was not required. They have two early decision options and one regular decision. For financial aid, they say they meet your demonstrated need. There are no scholarships, except for National Merit Scholars. The rest of the financial aid is need based. They offer loans, grants, and work study.

Date: 2011

You have distribution and foundation requirements, and then about 10-12 classes for your major. There's a heavy language requirement, but it can be replaced with culture classes to an extent- I've loved my experience with the foreign language dept though and wish I could have taken more classes. Class sizes are only large in introductory classes and otherwise can range from 10-40 depending on the subject. It's pretty competitive, but not to a detrimental extent- students collaborate all the time with work. There is a fair bit of work but none of it has really been busy work so far.

I've so far been pretty happy with the housing and the people who've been my neighbors. The libraries- Tisch and Fletcher- are great. The facilities are great but not as large as you'll find in other universities, but that's because Tufts isn't really a large school. The student body is really friendly and quirky, the neighborhood has a lot to offer since there's easy access to Boston. Contrary to certain rankings, Tufts is extremely safe, and I've never felt threatened. The campus is easy to navigate- the hill really isn't a big deal at all!

Comments

About 3 short essays or so with one optional, in addition to common app. There was early decision, ed2, and regular (I applied regular). Tufts' had some of the best/most relatable questions in comparison to other schools.

Date: 2011

In the School of Arts and Sciences there are a lot of core requirements but they are fun and there are many ways to fill them. Intro classes are large but they get smaller as you move past intro level. Some intro classes are much easier than others. Sciences are definitely a challenge and are difficult to complete even to students who took AP sciences in high school.

The campus at Tufts is excellent. It's very close to Boston and the surrounding neighborhoods which means there's plenty to do all the time but because the campus isn't directly in the city it has enough room to have a real campus. Housing is pretty good. Some dorms are better than others but none are awful. Students at Tufts are really happy at Tufts.

Comments

The Tufts application focused on the individual and whether they were well rounded and a good match for Tufts. There is an optional application that can consist of an essay, a drawing, or a video that is worth doing and really allows a student to identify themselves.