Tufts University

4.3 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 140 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

Great study abroad programs and internship opportunities, some core requirements, assigned pre-major advisers and chosen major advisers, accessible professors, really tough grading

Unique optional essay question in addition to 2 short essay questions that are not on the common app, early decision, no required interview, optional youtube video essay, need-based financial aid

There are a lot of requirements, including 6 language classes, but students can fill requirements with interesting classes. The professors I have taken classes with have been for the most part interested in their work, interesting as instructors, and available after class. That last point's been awesome--professors at Tufts really care about their students.

Their is a lot of work, but it is worth it because students learn a lot.

I submitted the Common App and a supplement. The supplement included questions like "Who are you?" and an optional creative question. The creative questions included "Kermit the Frog says it's not easy being green. Do you agree?" I wrote a short story entitled "The Getaway" for the supplement.

Tufts supplement

There are foundation and distribution requirements, which generally have categories of courses you need to take (i.e. Humanities, Arts, Natural Sciences, Mathermatics, Social Sciences). There is a broad range of course options to fill any requirement. Major degree requirements are reasonable, and a good number of people double major. The academic advising leaves a little to be desired. You kind of have to stay on top of things yourself to make sure you're meeting all your requirements, but it's not too hard. There are a couple of huge lecture classes, most are under 100 people, and language classes are capped at 20, I think.The atmosphere at Tufts is not very competitive at all. People generally work together and help each other out. Workload all depends on how much you want to push yourself; it can be extremely strenuous or not bad at all, depending on the classes you take. Study abroad opportunities are amazing. Studying aborad is highly encourage and most people do it. You can literally go anywhere in the world--if there isn't a Tufts program there, there are tons of non-Tufts programs you can do.

Housing on campus is good, the cost of living is really low if you're on a meal plan. You really don't need to spend any money if you just eat at the dining halls all the time. The campus is beautiful. Our libraries are comfortable. The food is AMAZING.

The Common App plus the Tufts Supplement, which has some fill-in-the blank type questions like "What's your favorite song?" and fun things to get to know you better, as well as a couple of additional essays like "Why Tufts?" There's an interview, too. There are two rounds of early decision, as well as regular decision.

The work is hard! The professors demand nothing but the best, and the students around you are the best, so its impossible to get by with any mediocre work. I have been in a lot of courses with severe grade deflation - i.e., a professor telling a class of one hundred students at the beginning of the semester, "I will not give out more than a few A's this semester, if any". For that course, there were only 6 A's at the end of the semester. I have learned a lot from my courses, though even the large intro ones, and I don't think that the grade deflation hurts much.

Most students enter into Tufts pretty concerned about their GPA and intending to get a 4.0, but after the first year when they realize it's not possible, they figure out that the learning is more important than the grades. In fact, that's something I like about Tufts. People care about the learning a lot more than they care about the grades.

Also, academically speaking, Tufts is a great community. I've never really experienced "competition" in any of my classes among my peers; it's always a collaborative effort. Students always work together and help each other out, even when they know that their work will be judged against one another's. No one ever forms the students into study groups, but they just coagulate because they like learning and they like spending time with each other. Students don't really compare grades with one another, and the students that do well don't have bad attitudes about it. Academically speaking, Tufts is a good natured place.

The class sizes are great. Big classes for intro courses, small classes for seminars, and smaller classes for languages.

Tufts language education is awesome. I love being at a place where people are required to take a language. It makes the student body so much more interesting, and at the same time, it gives the language program a strong sense of importance on campus. Almost everyone (except the engineers) leaves campus with memories of hours spent in the language building. The professors, the courses, the teaching methods, the study abroad programs all help our language program to be excellent.

I really like the Tufts integration of academic and practical knowledge. In both the classroom and the student activities arena, the importance of the blending of these types of knowledge is always made clear, and it really enriches the student experience.

Tufts is a great place. Every day, I realize once again how lucky I am to be there.

I love it. Everything is great. The facilities are a little old, and the dining halls do have lousy hours (they close too late on week nights and open too late on weekends), and the gym is a little cramped, but overall, I love the campus, the trees, the buildings, the libraries, the neighborhood, and the people. Tufts is great.

We had to fill out the Common App and a special supplement. I think that the nature of the Tufts supplement made me really like the school. It was funny, quirky, and it seemed like it asked questions that would help the admissions officers get to know me in a real way. It was the most enriching application experience of my senior year.

General distribution requirements exist for arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics. There is also a two semester writing requirement that can be passed out of based on AP english scores. Class sizes in both the Japanese and Economics departments where I spent most of my time were small, professors were extraordinarily accessible and taking the time to meet with them privately was always worth the time. Study abroad opportunities on both Tufts and non-Tufts programs were plentiful.

Dining and the neighborhood are great and I generally feel safe. Library is extensive. As for cost of living, moderate, and opportunities to defray it (such as working as a Resident Assistant or Resident Head Tutor) are available.

It was a long time ago. I don't particularly remember except that I applied early decision and that the school accepted the Common Application along with a few extra essays and an optional creative project.

The engineering major is challenging, with a pretty solid work load. The first two years consist of mostly core classes. Junior year you take major specific classes, and senior year you take advanced courses that are specific to the concentration that you select. The professors in general are excellent. Class size is as small as ~10 for specialized courses, and ~50 for the general classes. There are two freshman classes that are large lectures (entire class of 200 people), but they have small lab sections, and I found these classes perfectly manageable. Roughly 1/6 of the engineering students study abroad. I studied in Christchurch New Zealand, other countries that are common for engineers are: Australia, England, Ireland, and China (Hong Kong). Most classes have regular homework, with 1-2 midterms, and a final exam or project. Grades are on a 0-100 point scale, and then converted to a letter grade at the end. There is a lot of opportunity for undergraduate research and projects. I've worked on several projects at Tufts, as a visiting researcher at MIT, and doing research for local companies. Students are very collaborative and friendly, and are expected to work together on assignments.

Students are required to live in dorms their freshman year, and most students live in dorms their sophomore year. Students generally enjoy the dorm life, and find a good sense of community. In Junior year most students move off campus. The off campus housing is accessible and close to campus, and most students rent 3-5 person apartments with friends. Most students are pleased with the system. The dining halls are expensive, but provide a wide variety of excellent food. I had an unlimited meal plan for freshman and sophomore year, and cooked for myself junior and senior year because I had a kitchen in my apartment.

Tufts admissions require good grades, but that alone will not do it. There is a larger writing portion on the application than most other engineering schools, and you must prove that you are an interesting, well rounded person.

Depending on the class, there is often a reasonable amount of work assigned. The staff/faculty is always there to help every step of the way. As an engineer, most of my class require problem sets and projects. They also almost always include a lab. This is great because we get to put theory in to practice

Housing is awesome, the campus is beautiful (thanks to great work from the grounds crew. The dining is amongst the best. They always have good, quality food. They help you with financial things if you need it and make sure they make life for students really easy to the point where you only have to worry about doing well in your classes.

General requirements are pretty easy to fulfill. Overall I'm happy that they're there. It's a great way to allow you remain to be undecided while you're coming in.

Class sizes are a little larger than I was expecting, but as you get into higher level classes the sizes definitely decrease. I'm okay with the sizes being what they are because it means that you can get into higher demand classes as an underclassmen.

There are lots of opportunities to work with professors in labs, doing research, etc. And career services is fantastic at helping you find an internship if you want one.

Study abroad is HIGHLY encouraged. Most students are abroad at least one semester their junior year.

Common App, plus supplement. The essays are pretty fun and apparently there is now an optional youtube video component.

2009

In the Engineering College, you pretty much have every semester for all four years planned out for you, so there really isn't much room to pick and choose what you want. It's very direct--you get GE/core classes out of the way freshman year and by sophomore year you're already getting into concentration elective. Classes are hard and hard to do well in--it's definitely not a school were slacking off is possible, if you want decent grades. The workload is manageable if you don't procrastinate. The professors are great and incredibly knowledgeable in their respective fields. And Tufts is probably one of the best colleges to go on a study abroad program. It's a pretty competitive school, where all the students are striving to do their best, but not cutthroat, where students are trying to undermine each other to reach their academic goals.

Depending on where you're put in, housing is pretty decent. The cost of living is high, but the dorms are good enough that you don't complain. The campus itself is pretty safe, even late at night, and during the day, there are a ton of places you could explore that are right off campus. It's close enough to the big city if you're ever interested in going, but far enough that you have a nice buffer between hectic, crowded city life. As for facilities, the gym definitely needs work, but the library, music center, and campus center are all pretty nice. Tufts is a really happy school; you'd be hard-pressed to find people who are genuinely unhappy here.

The application questions/essays are really open--there are no restrictions and they allow for a lot of creative freedom. In fact, I found my Tufts application to be the most fun out of all the others I did. Tufts isn't with the greatest endowment, so financial aid and scholarship opportunities are fewer, but the school does what it can for its students with what it has.