Tufts has "distribution requirements", which means we have to take 2 classes within 5 categories that cover natural sciences, humanities, etc. There is also a language requirement that can be filled with language and/or culture classes in tons of different languages. There are numerous research opportunities available to undergrads, from assisting professors and graduate students in biology, chemistry, and psych labs, to more liberal arts/humanities focused research opportunities. There is also lots of funding available for students to perform independent research or receive payment for outside internships. Tufts' professors are generally accesable but students must seek their professors out on their own which can be intimidating. Students are assigned an advisor somewhat randomly at the beginning of their freshmen year (and initial advisors vary greatly in their helpfulness). When students declare their majors, they can select their own advisor and I really like my two advisors although i've never had either of them in class. Choosing an advisor can be somewhat stressful. Lots of Tufts students study abroad and there is an extensive office that assists with getting into different programs, getting financial aid and getting credits to transfer (although I didnt end up studying abroad). Workload is difficult as Tufts is a academically rigorous school but students are passionate and not competitive with each other and there are lots of great tutoring resources.

The dining halls are amazing - tons of different options, vegetarian food, healthy choices! Safety on campus is high but because Tufts is in the outskirts of Boston, there are sometimes crimes committed on the periphery of campus which can be a problem since a lot of students live off campus. Students who live off campus live in houses that are bordering campus and this adds a lot to a fun social atmosphere around campus. The cost of living in these houses can be somewhat inflated but there is also reasonable housing on campus although the dorms could use some renewing! The library is AMAZING!! The gym is getting a much needed upgrade but overall facilities are good. Overall happiness is high - students like Tufts and are happy to be here. Students are very engaged and looking to get others involved in their field/cause/group/club. There are almost too many events that happen on campus!

I had to fill out the Common Application as well as a Tufts-specific application with separate questions and essays. There was also an optional additional essay that I completed. I applied regular decision and was interviewed by an alumna in my hometown. I filled out the financial aid application but was denied.

Whether you are in the school of arts and science or the school of engineering, you will have core requirements that must be completed in order to graduate. Think writing, math, etc. It's not too bad.

Professors are brilliant and very helpful. Most professors really care about students and will be willing to meet outside of office hours. This is useful in building a strong relationship which can in turn present many research opportunities.

Study abroad is well known at Tufts. Everyone I know loves their experience abroad and Tufts has a lot of options for students. At the same time, there are student who opt out of studying abroad yet still are happy with their decision.

Tufts is really hard. However, the information that you learn is applicable to the real world (e.g. it has a point and is useful). Consequently, you can't just memorize; rather, you have to understand the underlying concepts in order to do well on exams. Some majors are easier than other, but this is true for any school.

Students are competitive with themselves, not each other.

The food at Tufts is delicious. However, at times I can get bored. Luckily, there are a multitude of places to eat in the surrounding area. Some buildings feel old yet the University is renovating a lot of them. Those buildings that are renovated look really nice.

Overall, I am really happy at Tufts. The campus just has a friendly and cheerful vibe.

Tufts is known for its unique essay questions. Students need a combination of high test scores, high GPA, high class rank, a record of community service, and strong extracurricular activities to stay competitive. On top of all of that, the essays are a vital part in standing out in the eyes of the admissions committee.

Tufts is pretty much need-blind. The school doesn't offer any merit based scholarships.

Average class size is 20 students. Distribution requirements are extensive (2 arts, 2 social sciences, 2 mathematical sciences, 2 natural sciences, 1 world civilization, 6 semesters of a language, etc.) To major in a subject is generally 10 courses, a minor is 5. Professors hold weekly office hours and are very accessible outside of class. Tufts is the smallest Research I University (many opportunities for undergraduate research.) 45% of the student body studies abroad.

Freshmen and sophomores are guaranteed housing on campus, but it is possible to get it as a junior and senior as well. Off campus housing is affordable and convenient. I feel safe on campus especially with TU Police Department around. Everyone is friendly. Students are not competitive about academics even though everyone is very driven and intelligent.

Common Application, Supplemental Application, Optional Essay, Optional Alumni Interview

Common App with individualized essay options. Optional alumni interview. There was an option for early decision but I did not do it.

There are lots of core requirements at Tufts, which as a student has helped me to explore areas I wouldn't have otherwise. The major degree requirements are not too strict, and there is certainly room to double major or minor. There is a lot of encouragement to study abroad while at Tufts.

Cost of living is a little pricey, but not too bad. The campus housing is good quality for the most part. I was please with library and dining facilities, and have felt generally safe on the Tufts campus.

The Tufts optional essays are rather unique and require a certain amount of creativity. Otherwise, the application is pretty standard. My interview with an alumnus was helpful in learning more about the school.

General requirements are pretty easy to fulfill. Overall I'm happy that they're there. It's a great way to allow you remain to be undecided while you're coming in.

Class sizes are a little larger than I was expecting, but as you get into higher level classes the sizes definitely decrease. I'm okay with the sizes being what they are because it means that you can get into higher demand classes as an underclassmen.

There are lots of opportunities to work with professors in labs, doing research, etc. And career services is fantastic at helping you find an internship if you want one.

Study abroad is HIGHLY encouraged. Most students are abroad at least one semester their junior year.

Common App, plus supplement. The essays are pretty fun and apparently there is now an optional youtube video component.

2009

Lots of requirements. Global focus. Active citizenship.

Incredible!

Unique application essays.

There's no core per se, but 5 distribution areas that must be fulfilled. There are world civilization credits, a writing requirement, and quantitative analysis, but these are usually filled by Advanced Placement or SAT scores. There's a 6 semester foreign language requirement and about 40-50% of juniors choose to study abroad, either on 8 Tufts-affiliated programs or 215 pre-approved other opportunities. In addition, everyone must have a major (often 2 or 3) which is generally 10-12 courses. I receive one credit per course, regardless of how often it meets. Professors hold office hours and are approachable, even in large courses. The average course size is 20 students, but I have some as small as 8 or as large as 150. I've taken advantage of research opportunities, working in a biology research lab since sophomore year. I receive class credit for the work I do.

Housing is okay (I've seen better but also worse). Cost of living is high (this is Boston), but it's fairly easy to learn how to be economical especially with meal plans. The cafeteria food is really good. The neighborhoods surrounding are on the up and up, pretty safe by day, caution advised at night. I'd say the campus is pretty with plenty of places to hang out and study but small enough to never have to walk far. I like the libraries. They're all well-lit, with accessible hours, and accommodate a variety of learning styles. Students are very happy.

There's a Common Application with an extensive supplement (extra essays, videos/creative prompts). Students may apply Early Decision in 2 rounds, or regular decision. There is also an interview with an alumnus. Financial aid is entirely need-based, not merit.

With the exception of a few intro-level courses, classes are all small enough that the professor gets to know you. And you'll never have TAs doing the bulk of the teaching like you get at a lot of schools. Professors are very personable and accessible. There are no "core classes", but you do have to take a certain number of courses in different general categories, which is a nice way to ensure that students get a well-rounded education while allowing students to take classes they're genuinely interested in.

Most students really love to be here. Tufts has a great sense of community, since its small enough that events can unite the whole campus, and students feel as though they have things in common just by being students here, but never so small that it feels claustrophobic or cliquish.

They have optional essays which encourage students to show their creativity, which I think is a nice way to get a broader picture of a student, but lots of people get in without doing them too.

General distribution requirements exist for arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics. There is also a two semester writing requirement that can be passed out of based on AP english scores. Class sizes in both the Japanese and Economics departments where I spent most of my time were small, professors were extraordinarily accessible and taking the time to meet with them privately was always worth the time. Study abroad opportunities on both Tufts and non-Tufts programs were plentiful.

Dining and the neighborhood are great and I generally feel safe. Library is extensive. As for cost of living, moderate, and opportunities to defray it (such as working as a Resident Assistant or Resident Head Tutor) are available.

It was a long time ago. I don't particularly remember except that I applied early decision and that the school accepted the Common Application along with a few extra essays and an optional creative project.