Tufts University

4.3 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (140 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

There is a core curriculum that everyone must take, though there are many ways to fulfill it. I.e. two math, two natural science. two English, six language/culture, two social science. It is easy to get rid of these quickly, and AP credit helps. You are assigned an advisor through one of four programs, and then receive a new one from your major department when you declare a major (by the end of sophomore year). Classes range from big lectures to small seminars. Classes are competitive, but everyone helps each other succeed. Grading is generally fair. Many faculty perform cutting edge research, and it's possible to help out as an undergrad and even do your own research. Studying abroad is definitely easy if you plan ahead. Lots of homework, as to be expected.

Housing is okay, but living with all freshman is nice. Lottery system allows you to choose housing each year, though most juniors and seniors live off campus. The library is great, though sometimes hard to find a table during midterms/finals. "Off-campus" is literally across the street, and because of our focus on the community we get along well with our surrounding towns, and host events for them often. Apparently we have the highest crime rate, though anyone on campus would say they feel safe (though use common sense: don't walk alone at night). 99% of the people I meet absolutely love Tufts.

Comments

The school has ED1 and ED2, though I applied Regular Decision. It took the Common App, but also had a few additional essays. One was optional, and there were many rather unique questions to choose from. I chose to "write a short story entitled 'House of Cards.'" It provided some financial aid, but no merit scholarships. I, however, received a merit scholarship from the National Merit Scholarship Competition which Tufts participated in.

2015

Date: 2011

Lots of requirements. Global focus. Active citizenship.

Incredible!

Comments

Unique application essays.

Date: 2011

Tufts has distribution requirements, which all students must complete. It is fairly easy to fulfill these requirements however, because they often overlap with classes required for one's specific major. The most extensive requirement is the language requirement, which involves 6 semesters of a foreign language (3 of which can be completed with a culture class). Class sizes are larger in intro classes, but are small in upper level classes. Professors are enthusiastic about their subjects and their students, and are easy to talk to. Professors will make time for students if office hours fall during your other class times.

Everyone I know is extremely happy with the quality of life at Tufts. Dining is amazing, the campus is perfect (not too urban, but close enough to downtown Boston), Tisch Library offers endless resources and has many desks for studying students.

Comments

Tufts had the most unique, creativity-inspiring application questions out of all the schools I applied to, and I applied to 12 other schools. I actually had fun writing the essays for Tufts because they allowed me to really be myself. I didn't feel like I had to be incredibly formal, as I felt with other schools. The interview process was extremely convenient and smooth. The admissions website is clear and informative. Overall, there was nothing about the admissions process which I would change.

Date: 2011

Comments

Tufts supplement

Date: 2011

There are a lot of requirements, including 6 language classes, but students can fill requirements with interesting classes. The professors I have taken classes with have been for the most part interested in their work, interesting as instructors, and available after class. That last point's been awesome--professors at Tufts really care about their students. Their is a lot of work, but it is worth it because students learn a lot.

Comments

I submitted the Common App and a supplement. The supplement included questions like "Who are you?" and an optional creative question. The creative questions included "Kermit the Frog says it's not easy being green. Do you agree?" I wrote a short story entitled "The Getaway" for the supplement.

Date: 2011

This is a big question and a small text field. For people in the engineering school, there are very few electives. Core requirements are thorough for those in the arts & sciences school. Many majors are only 10 to 12 courses, with International Relations being the exception. A lot of students double major, including IR students. About half of all Tufts students study abroad. You can go all sorts of places. Lots of intro classes are big--biology and economics seem to be the big culprits here. It's easy to find small classes, though, especially in foreign languages, in the math department, or in the freshman writing curriculum. It's not easy to get good grades. Some people will attend a hard course for a semester before registering for it, and some people take courses like organic chemistry at other places over the summer to have an easier time of them. My advice: seek out the best professors. The better you are taught, the more you will enjoy a class and the better you will score in it. People here work hard. Advising is helpful. I don't know how other students go about it, but I tend to make my own plans and run them by my advisor to make sure I don't have potential problems. Lots of people do research, and some start in freshman or sophomore year. It just takes some poking around in your department of interest. Some of the faculty here do really cool stuff. There is a biomedical engineering person developing novel uses for silk, a chemistry prof who has a company doing cutting-edge genome sequencing, and another chemistry prof who worked on NASA's Mars lander.

The neighborhood is very safe. It's also very easy to get into Boston using the subway. Dorms are dorms--the bathrooms in mine are nice, so I can't complain. The libraries are beautiful (lots of skylights!) and the dining hall food is really impressive. Dining hall food can be annoying if you are following kosher strictly or if you have allergies/gluten intolerance, but I'm a vegetarian and I do just fine. The administration doesn't do a great job dealing with alcohol or marijuana use and associated stupid events, and there is generally some tension over that. If you're really into smoking pot in the open or running around drunk and naked in the freezing cold, you may want to think twice about Tufts. Most people live off-campus 3rd &4th year, which is cheaper. (Unless you commute, you must live on campus for four semesters. Generally, people choose the first four to do that.) Campus is really pretty in fall & spring, and there are nice places to go running or biking. Winter in Boston is pretty slushy, so bring a pair of waterproof shoes. It's a small campus physically, centered around the main library and the campus center. The gym is not beautiful, and it can get crowded, though Tufts is building a new athletic complex starting soon (maybe already; I'm not sure.) On a nice day, you will see lots of people outside chilling. People are busy, but generally pretty happy, and people have time to do some relaxing, whether it's parties, picnics, or stuff in Boston.

Comments

I don't know much about the financial aid process or opportunities. We are on the common app, with some optional and some mandatory supplementary pieces. Tons of people do early-decision--if I'm not mistaken, around 40% of accepted students. (I did ED I.)

Date: 2011

Huge workload but great faculty....For Engineering Studens, yiu have 38 classes to satisfy graduation requirements and foe Liberal arts, 32. However, students may have fewer requirements to satisfy if they have pre-matriculation credits (APs, IBs e.t.c.)

You would be happy for your choice! No room for regrets!

Comments

Intense application. Lots of essays. Great Financial aid package!

Date: 2011

Academics are challenging, but not impossible. For a few general lecture classes (Bio 13, Intro to Psychology, etc.) the classes are large, but for the most part classes are below 25 and are very personal and discussion based. There are some general distribution requirements which are helpful in giving direction and very flexible. There are many ways to complete your general and major requirements. My academic advisor is very accessible and incredibly helpful. All of the professors are very dedicated to their work and excited to share with their students. Study abroad is highly suggested for all students, and Tufts does everything it can to make sure all students have this opportunity.

Housing is excellent and the campus is gorgeous. We have one main library that is in the center of campus and fulfills all library needs including very friendly staff. Tufts University Police Department is very diligent and the blue light safety system is used on campus. The Campus Safety is super friendly and sees that the safety of an inebriated student as much more important than legal consequences. Students often do community outreach and service in the surrounding area. With few exceptions, everybody at Tufts is so happy to be there and the social scene is always vibrant.

Comments

Common App was accepted and the supplement was very enjoyable. Alumni contact you for interviews and the financial aid office is very helpful.

Date: 2011

Housing is below average, dinning is good, but over priced.

Comments

Common application with supplement. Early decision 2.

Date: 2011

We have distribution requirements that cover 5 general areas that is generally the equivalent of a core curriculum for other schools. What is different, in my opinion, is the fact that we are required to take six semesters of a language and we have a world civilizations requirement to fulfill. On top of the core curriculum, you do have major degree requirements. I have an amazing academic advisor even though she is an Art History professor, she has been very helpful. Class sizes range anywhere from hundreds of students to about 15. Even as freshmen, you can take classes that have small class sizes. The university really pushes professors and students to interact so I would say accessibility is high along with research opportunities. I wouldn't say that the atmosphere is competitive, it's more cooperative. I think we have a lot of interesting professors that, because they also are completing research, have been published multiple times. All students are highly encouraged to study abroad so there are many many opportunities. The workload is high, but it is what I expected.

I think we have a great community and there is not a lot of crime that occurs. The food is great and the library is full of resources. I'm extremely happy with the campus atmosphere. My one complaint is that with all the money we spend for the school, our dorms are not that nice.

Comments

There are two early decision periods and I applied for the first and was accepted. The process required the Common application and the supplement was optional. I chose to complete the supplement which consisted of a few short answers and an optional essay. Some of the optional essays were youtube videos or what you could do with an 8x12 piece of paper. I was then scheduled an interview time with an alumni. I applied for financial aid but did not get anything.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)