Big school = plenty of opportunities

July 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

UT is a great school. Most of my professors were very approachable and cared about the students. Yes, some of the buildings are very old but the state continues to invest in the school and make improvements. I enjoyed the variety of classes which let me be creative in fulfilling graduation requirements and take interesting electives. For example, taking Asian-American history to fulfill a US history requirement and taking weight lifting, ballet, or scuba diving (including an opportunity to get CPR and NAUI certified).

Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the crowd. That not only means it might be harder for introverts to find friends because, most of the time, your classmates are just that, but it also means it will take more to make an impression on a professor in order to get a reference.

Comments

It might seem overwhelming at first, but the numerous student organizations and classes means that you can really carve your own path. It's great to have that flexibility at such a formative period in your life.

Very demanding. Class sizes are huge. But professors do make themselves available.

Quality is amazing. I feel safe. People in the community are splendid. Crime is well reported and shared.

Typical apply texas application. Couple of UT essays.

Class sizes are big at first when you are taking your core classes but as you get into major sequence classes the number of students decrease by a significant amount.

It is very expensive to live in Austin in my opinion but I always feel safe and I truly love my school.

Unique application questions, essays, resume and recommendation letters.

Amazing. I have learned more here at UT than anywhere in my life, and I'm an old lady of 22.

Live off campus, and you'll be so much happier.

Texas Common Application

Highly competitive, high workload, and above average expectations.

Two essays, one about academic experience and one over a topic that is important to you.

Class size is small, which is great. The teachers are for the most part really easy to get along with, but professional and "teacherly" at the same time. My advisor (Kristen Boyd) is GREAT! She knows me by name, and is really easily accessible. She really cares about what's going on in my life.
Study abroad is pushed and encouraged pretty regularly.

The library is amazing.

The admissions process was somewhat intimidating, but I feel overall it didn't ask anything of us that shouldn't be expected. There were several essay questions, they really want to get to know YOU, which was different than other admissions essays I've written.

General classes are the same general courses taken by most freshman at UT. the major specific classes are introductory to social work, what to expect from future classes and a good framework to expand from. There are specific study abroad programs to social work with which you will go with a group from our school, but you are available to apply to different programs. Workload depends on the class you are in, but a majority are discussion based, meaning your readings need to be done before class (the number or readings ranges per subject). Most do not have finals, but, have final research papers. Reflection papers are your main grades throughout courses. Class sizes depend on the course as well. Most range from 35-15. There are numerous notable faculty at our school.

Quality of life is fantastic. In a great neighborhood with access to downtown, very safe. Housing and food are relatively inexpensive compared to other schools. Off campus housing is extremely expensive, though. Library and facilities are for the most part in good conditions. Overall happiness of students is high.

Unique application process to certain school, essays, scholarship opportunities, personal statement required

Jester dorm is gross, small, crowded, and expensive. There is not enough housing on campus or campus cafeterias. Too much junk food.

Standard Texas application; essays, Test scores

2005 or earlier

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

-must take pre-requistes that only can be done at UT.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

It's a holistic review to get into the business honors program. Thus, students need to be well- rounded. They can't just excel in one area.