Major classes, GEP, Electives, Most colleges require 120 hours to graduate. Lecture classes can be large but include discussion sections that are smaller. Most big classes graded on lecture.

Uses RAI to decide upon admission. RAI is based on High School Academic success and ACT/SAT Scores.

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), has three subsections: the GEP (General Education Program)- this is set in place for students to fulfill general classes; Major Courses- classes that pertain to the student's specific major; and finally, electives- these courses are chosen according to student interest and are a way for the student to experience another aspect other than their major education.

A common application. No interviews. RAI (Regional Admission Index) Score in place.

The general education program seems to be on par (if not identical) to other public institutions. There is a broad base of classes to choose from within the general education framework. Class sizes, accessibility of professors, and workload for these programs are standard. Grading is not uniform, however, and the same course can be graded with varying expectations depending on the professor. Majors have varying degrees of quality as with any university. I was very content with the accounting department.

I would like to highlight the academic advising as a strong point. Advisors were always available and helpful. I switched my major very late and my advisor worked with me to finish on time. Generic advising is done for every student until a certain amount of semester hours is achieved or the student is admitted to a particular college. At this point, the student is assigned an advisor that is focused in that area of study. The process is seamless on the end of the student.

The community is safe and the atmosphere is pleasant. Cost of living is variable. A student without a car is restricted to very expensive, organic, grocery stores. Rent can be pricey, however there are definitely deals for those willing to look. Facilities range from historic to contemporary depending on the college. There is a very strong student organization following on campus and interesting events always seem to be taking place. I took two points off for the extremely long winters and poor parking options.

I found the entire admissions process to be efficient and intuitive. Scholarship opportunities can be easily found on the school website. Many colleges at the University have direct admit requirements which are clearly stated and adhered to. I cannot recall any hitches in the process and there were certainly no surprises along the way.

Within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, there are three parts that make up the degree. There are the General Education Program that give you a well basic foundation for the learning. It includes math, science, history, international, and world language courses, just to name a few. The second part is made up of your major classes, which give you an in depth understanding of a specific area and allow you to specialize in your area. The final category is the elective courses which give you a balanced well rounded education. This allows you space for a minor or double major. Students are assigned an academic advisor and will work with these advisors to create a plan for graduation. These advisors are available to show the various resources that the University of Iowa has to offer. They also will help you plan your schedules.

Many students move off campus after their first year at Iowa. There are pluses and minuses to moving off and staying on campus. The pluses of staying on campus include not having to worry about cleaning and cooking. Proximity to campus is also a plus. The pros to moving off campus includes allowing more freedom and responsibility. It also gives a sense of independence and growing up.

I don't remember a ton about the application, but it was pretty standard. I did not fill out the Common Application. There were separate applications and essays associated with the scholarships for which I applied.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There are many notable faculty members. It seems that each department has someone who has made a very great impact in their field. Academic advising is a great source because they give you have to meet with them and they will sit down with you and talk about the programs you want to get into or about a plan for the next few semesters or years. They are also specialized in what they are advising, so you will get an advisor that knows their stuff.

Cost of living off campus is a little high compared to many places in the state of Iowa. The dining is great here. There is also a great sense of community in the greater Iowa City/Coralville area.

I would say it's a common application process. There is a simple application that is done completely online. There is a individual review process if you don't meet the automatic criteria.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Our general requirements are very diverse. I had to take several different classes that I would never have chosen, but I loved! For my major there is a set amount of the type of classes in the field of study and then we are free to chose which ones we want to participate in. Academic advising is okay, I have found that I learn more by doing it myself. Class sizes are smaller once you are in to your major classes. Accessibility to professors is pretty good; they all hold office hours and most email you right back. Competitiveness is key to many of my classes and grading is sometimes very hard, but it makes classes challenging and rewarding. There are several study abroad opportunities for different majors in different countries, in fact I will be studying abraod next semester.

I lived on campus in a dorm my freshman year. It was nice enough, pretty basic. Living costs seemed reasonable. The facilities were nice. Dinning hall was very new and updated. Library is older but still in good condition. Crime was never a problem and I usually felt safe.

I don't remember a lot from our admission process, I knew that I met all of the requirements so I didn't worry about it. I didn't have to fill out any essays or interviews.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

We have a 3 part requirement system. We must take 3 electives, coursework from a GEP section (General Education Program) that varies based on majors, and Major coursework. The grading can be tough, but overall it is fair and accurate. The teaching staff is incredible, very helpful generally. We have the number 1 creative writing grad program in the world, and one of the best nursing schools in the world.

Expensive living, but other than that, very nice.

Easy online application

The University of Iowa has a great program

The Universiyt of Iowa has a capus like no otehr. It has beautiful buildings adn the historical old capital. The downtown of Iowa City is very culutural and full of activites.

Average general application but to get into the college of choice is difficult

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

It really depends on the instructor. Some classes I liked were definitely that way because of the instructor. Work load isn't excessive, there are only a few classes that are an exception.

Do not remember much because it was a rushed process being a late admit.