The curriculum for is heavily math and science based. Practical and hands on elements are incorporated in relevant classes. There is also a heavy focus on getting real world experience in areas from technical writing to real world problem solving.

The quality of life is excellent. The only real issue is that some of the classrooms in the older buildings could be renovated.

Common Application with a university supplement.

RPI tries to give each student flexibility in their schedule. Inside of the major, a student takes certain concentration electives to pick some type of specialization. Outside of the major, students have a 24 credit humanities and social science requirement. This can be fulfilled by any number of class ranging from Psychology to Philosophy to Music to English or whatever you could possibly want.

Research is extremely easy to get into at RPI. You can start as early as your second semester freshman year. There isn't really a competitive nature at RPI, most students will help each other out for no reason other than they're a fellow student. Everyone knows that graduating from this college is enough to secure a job.

The residence halls were recently renovated and a really a nice place to live. My hall freshman year became a very close family and we still hang out together two years later even though we've all moved on to other groups of friends.

The labs and gyms are all state of the art. The dining halls have an excellent variety. Crime on campus is extremely low to nonexistence. The local town of Troy has a bit of a crime rate, but Troy PD does an excellent job keeping everyone safe.

Overall, I can't imagine going anywhere else. This was clearly the best decision for me.

RPI uses the common app with an added supplement as well as its own application. RPI doesn't do interviews but you can meet with someone if you want to talk about the college. My financial aid package was substantial and was what convinced me to attend.

Core classes in math and science, 24 humanities and social science credits requirement. Easy to obtain undergrad research, class cap is 125. Lots of study abroad options, lots of work.

Off campus living is cheaper and just as nice. Crime isnt as bad as people complain. library is great, dining is awful.

Common App with questions, or Candidates Choice. No interviews. Two early decision dates and one regular.

First start off with larger classes to cover main "core classes." As you move up into 2nd year class sizes get smaller around 40 students. Professors have 4 to 6 hrs of office hours a week and TA's also have office hours. I do undergrad research and have been for the last 2 years. I love it and it is very versitile with my time. Grading depends on the difficulty of the class. The harder the class the more curves they have. The easier the class the harder the grading. In major specific classes its difficult to pull of an A.

Public safety is really good here and I feel really safe while on compus. All of the facilities are pristine. They are gorgeous and I could have asked for better facilities to learn in. Diner is really good too. They have a good variety of food out all the time I just wish they would build a "healthy" cafe on campus or something for those who arent craving fried food all the time.

One personal essay, two recommendations (math and/or science teachers), interview, regular decision...... got merit scholarship and played field hockey freshman year here.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

When I applied to Rensselaer, there were three different categories, early decision, regular decision, and early action - of which I chose the third. As a Rensselaer Medalist, I got to fill out a shorter application and had my fee waived. Interviews were offered, but I chose not to undertake one. I did receive a decent financial aid packet for my first year.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Love it! It's expensive but it's worth it! Really nice facilities and love the convience

Common Application with a supplemental form. Fairly easy process. Parents did my financial aid stuff. Same application for early decision. Just a matter of getting all your stuff together sooner.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

flexibility outside of core classes, every student given an advisory study abroad available, research available for pay, credit or experience, competitive work but much work done in groups.

Common Applications with supplement, interviews offered but not required. Too early decision options and no early action. Much financial aid over 90% of students get some form of it.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Academic advising required each semester in order to register, general requirements classes are extremely challenging, but they prepare you for the following classes in your concentration very well, study abroad program in tact as well and is an exceptional opportunity, class size is from 20-30 students, professors will make time and are accessible very easily, should be prepared for an hour of work for every hour of class time that you spend

Very available, many options, lots of activities held. Library and student union open many hours of the day, facilities kept in good shape, dining options are great

Personal Statement, Early decision and regular decision, common application with supplement. High levels of math and science required

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Check the course catalog online! rpinfo.rpi.edu

The student population is miserable. They really do not know how to live it up and enjoy themselves. What do you expect from a school full of Engineers who think that a fun time is sitting on a 12 pack of MOUNTAIN DEW playing World of Warcraft?

Common application with a supplement. Very good with giving aid.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

It is a harder school and requires more work. The professors are very accessible and there are lots of research opportunities.

Housing and food are a little expensive. There is a ton to do at school and it's very active. The community is strong and the neighborhoods are safe.

I used the common application with an additional essay. There is early decision, but I used regular decision.