Purdue University

June 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

Overall Great Experience

September 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

Purdue requires everyone to get a basically broad spectrum education, classes like English, math, science, and a foreign language. Once you enter classes specific to your major you realy learn what you need to know to enter that feild with full confidence. There are incredible research and internship oppportunities and connections for all fields of study. Wonderful professors and Graduate student TA's and heally helpful advising. My advisor knows my first name, not just my ID number, and is really invested in seeing me succeed.

West Lafayette has become my home. It's a great community and I got to know many students that were living with me in my residence hall and they became my family. The food is better than my mom's and eberything is super clean and comfortable. There are a million and one places to study and everyone is really respectful of eachother.

The application is pretty standard but the essay question was part of the reason I decided to apply. They asked me what the best advice I've ever recieved was. The application was easy but the essay made me think adn I was looking fr=or a school that would chalenge me intelectually, so even from the application Purdue was doing just that.

There are general requirements including liberal arts requirements, but also specific requirements for Pre-professional students. THere are academic advisors for every individual students. The class sizes vary from very large (200+) to very small (20). Professors are very accessible when they are needed usually. THey provide office hours that are regular. Also, some research opportunities are provided on an individual basis. Also, TA opportunities are available for undergraduates. The programs are competitive and many of our programs are nationally ranked. Also, grading is difficult and curves aren't common. WE have several notable faculty including nobel prize winners. There are many study abroad opportunities given for maymester, semester, or full year and they are located all over the world. THe workload is heavy but manageable.

While costs are fairly high, Purdue is much lower than other universities. The cost goes to the quality. Our dining courts are better than any other college I've eaten at. Also, the facilities are high quality and clean. Labs use good technology, and the dorms are really nice, stylish, and accomodating. The surrounding community is very involved in sports, academics, and other unique programs. Most notably, Bug Bowl or Spring Fest, which draws the community in for learning and fun. Crime is not a problem and I feel very safe on campus. While some incidents happen, Purdue has Emergency Notifications, which alert students via text and email about unsafe conditions on campus. There are also emergency boxes located all over campus painted yellow so that if you are being follwed, feel unsafe, or need assistance the police can be notified to your exact location. Overall happiness is very high. There are many activities throughout campus and everyone can find a place. Also, school spirit and pride is high which makes everyone feel connected and involved.

Essays, high score qualifications, early decision, some scholarships.

There are very few general requirements that all students must take. The only ones I can think of are introductory English and I know most, if not all, majors require some foreign language classes. These can be tested out of with foreign language tests or AP tests. Also, many, but not all, majors require COM 114 which teaches public speaking skills. Although there are not many requirements from Purdue as a university, each separate college has many core requirements that the students must fill and these are very different and specialized for each area of study.

Academic advising is great at Purdue. You meet with your adviser at least once a semester to organize your schedule for the following semester, but you can always schedule to meet with them more or come in during and walk in hours they may have. They will answer your questions about classes and registration and really know what they are talking about.

Class sizes can start out rather large. If you are taking a introductory class that many other students take like calculus or general chemistry, these classes tend to be very large and have a few different sections. As you progress in your education, class sizes get smaller as students start to specialize more and complete their core prerequisites. Also, classes that focus on language tend to smaller, such as english, public speaking, or foreign language courses since there is much more class interaction.

The professors at Purdue are extremely accessible. They all have office hours which are times every week where they are in their office and available to students in they have questions. They also many times will offer help sessions either on a weekly basis or before exams. They really do want the students to succeed.

Purdue is a research institution and has a great amount of research opportunities. If you are interested in research, it would not be uncommon to start research freshman year. Again, professors are very accessible if you happened to be interested in their research and would like to meet with them to talk about joining their team.

The workload is perfect in my opinion. It is challenging, but at the same time I have time to partake in extracurriculars to broaden my education. It is challenging enough to where you do have to study and spend time on your classes, but if this were not the case, I would not be satisfied. I came to college to stimulate my intellect and learn more complex concepts than high school so if I didn't feel challenged I would be disappointed.

I am happiest when I am at school. I absolutely love it there. Housing is great. Freshman year I started in the residence halls and found the sense of community I was hoping I would find while living there. Then Sophomore and Junior year I lived in a sorority which was a completely different, amazing, and fulfilling experience that Purdue offers. Campus is great because it is a walking campus and is very compact. You can get just about anywhere in 10 minutes and you don't have to worry about traffic that is driving through. Dining is great as well. The dining halls offer delicious food and with 5 different halls at different locations, there is tons of variety. There is a great sense of community at Purdue and people are very friendly. I have never felt unsafe on our campus but if I ever did, there are many resources for that as well. Overall, the people combined with the opportunities at Purdue makes for a very happy undergraduate education!