Princeton University

4.8 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (4 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Major degree requirements, academic advising available through residential college and department; 5 :1 student to faculty ratio; many notable faculty, study abroad is easily accessed. Workload is heavy. Research is accessible. Competitiveness exists but not overwhelming.

Housing is available on campus all four year. 15 libraries. one of the best library's in the world. Dining is better than anticipated. Neighborhood is safe. Crime rare. Community relations excellent, overall happiness high.

Comments

Unique application questions and essays, interview, regular decision, nation's best financial aid plan, common app but with specific essays.

Date: 2010

The undergraduate academic program is extremely rigorous and generally regarded as one of the best in the world. Princeton offers two main degree tracks, one through the College of Arts and Sciences (Bachelor of Arts degree) and the other through the School of Engineering and Applied Science (Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree). There are distribution requirements to ensure that students receive a broad liberal arts education and each department sets requirements for its concentrators. Princeton generally has small class sizes beyond 100-level intro lectures, and professors are very accessible- they encourage students to come to office hours and ask questions. All Princeton students complete independent work in their junior and/or senior year, and there are numerous research opportunities for freshmen as well. Princeton has a unique grading policy among its peer institutions. A-level grades are not supposed to make up more than 35% of grades, which serves to level the playing field across departments and give students better feedback on their work. The faculty at Princeton is extremely well accomplished and wins awards at every level.

Date: 2010

good student to professor ratio. Notable faculty that are readily available, great research opportunities- everyone has to write a senior thesis, good academic advising, and great liberal arts education.

housing all four years. great meal plan. had the option of cooking for yourself. very safe campus. public safety was always present, low amount of crime. great libraries. libraries in residential colleges were open 24 hours. great campus life.

Comments

Princeton was the only school where I did an alumni interview. I apply regular decision and did the common application, but did the Princeton Supplement. Princeton has amazing financial aid.

2009

Date: 2010

As an engineer at my school, I was required to take certain classes for engineering and certain core courses with everyone else. All freshman were required to take a writing seminar for one semester. I was required to take 36 classes throughout my 4 years, and then common courses for engineers (Gen. Chem, Organic Chem, Multivariable Calc, Differential Equations, etc.). To graduate everyone had to pass all of their required courses and take certain electives in different fields of study, as well as write a senior thesis their final year. Everyone was assigned an advisor each year - freshman were assigned to the dean of their residential college, and upperclassmen were assigned to a professor in their major. Class sizes varied - the largest at 200, the smallest at 12. Most were right around 40 however. Professors were highly accessible - most with office hours several times a week, and were very notable in their respective fields, many with Nobel awards. Students were not generally competitive with each other - I never observed any malicious behaviors. But they were very competitive with themselves and most were so driven that they always wanted to push themselves to do better. Most students worked in teams or groups whether mandated on certain projects or voluntarily as part of a study group. Study abroad opportunities were plentiful, as long as you organized your course schedule for the 4 years and spoke with your adviser, it was possible to study abroad. The workload however was intense. Often you had 40 pages of reading to do per class per day, and with a grueling engineering schedule and lots of lab courses in the afternoon and evening, it was hard to find the time to do all the problem sets, lab reports, and reading that was required while still attending all your classes.

Housing is decent and close to everything (10-15 minute walk) and the cost of living is okay for the area since Princeton and NJ is pricey in general. The campus is beautiful!!! From the architecture to the landscaping to the artwork, the campus is beautiful. The facilities are well manicured and maintained, the libraries are plentiful and well equipped, and the food is outstanding (Shrimp and Brie at Sunday Brunch and Made-to-Order omelettes daily)!

Comments

Princeton had unique application essay questions (4 essays I believe)and an alumni interview that was conducted by an alum in my hometown. But the application process was similar to other schools that I applied to, both public and private. I applied regular decision, and the Common Application was not available to students applying to Princeton when I did, although it is used now. The financial aid given was entirely need-based and all the scholarships given were need-based also. Of the 12 schools I applied to, Princeton gave me the most financial aid for a Private university (only the two in-state schools I applied to gave more).

2008