Area Requirements (major scholastic disciplines)
Major (8-10 classes, thesis or seminar)

Very good.

Unique Application

Not many core requirements, academic advising required for everyone, professors very accessible.

So great

Common Application, supplement application, interviews suggested

There are a few general "area requirements", a language requirement (that can be fulfilled by AP credit), and a PE requirement. Each major has its own requirements and each student must have an adviser in order to register for classes. The classes are generally small (20 or less), except for a few intro and science classes. The professors are accessible almost all the time by email, and all hold office hours or will readily make appointments with students. Research positions are competitive in some departments, but all students will have done some research by the time they've graduated. The summer undergraduate research program provides funding for students to do research on campus over the summer. The academics are more collaborative than competitive, but students are very driven and self-motivated. The grading is somewhat inflated, but students work very hard. Most faculty have the highest degrees in their fields. Most students who want to (which is many) study abroad. The workload is intense, and students spend most of their time during the week doing homework, as well as a significant amount on the weekends.

The housing is excellent (I've had a single room for my first two years and probably will for my next two), the rooms are decent sized and the dorms are kept clean. Most of the necessary costs of living are included in room and board, but the cost of living in the area is generally pretty high. The campus is beautiful and a good size. The facilities I'm familiar with (sciences) are top-notch. I don't really use the library (out of personal preference) but it is a good resource for many people. I love the food, and it's all you can eat, with takeout options. Claremont is a great town, but it doesn't really cater to the college population (restaurants and movies are expensive). The relations with the community are generally good. Crime is not really an issue, although some of the neighboring towns are not very safe. The only crime that is prevalent is bike theft, and there are a few break-ins per year on busy party nights when people leave their doors open. Overall, every one here is happy and loves being at Pomona.

Common Application with supplement including essays. I didn't do an interview, although they were available. I applied Regular Decision.

The school is arranged so no matter your major you are able to take classes in the other areas as well. THere are no general something 101 type classes here, in the sciences they do have the generic names, but the expectations are extremely high for everyone. people talk about the grade inflation here, but they make tests so hard they have to curve or all the scores would be the same. research is available to undergrads and study abroad is highly encouraged and easy to do

all students live on campus and the housing is comparatively really great. the dining is very accomidating and all teh campus facilities are excellent

need to have an essay that portrays an interesting personality and eagerness to learn. The test scores have to be high enough for the essay to be even considered though.

Five breadth of study areas, of which students are required to take at least one class from each. There is also a freshman seminar each freshman is required to take in the first semester. These seminars have 15 or fewer students, with one professor, and it is supposed to be a writing class. Pomona is all undergrad, so professors do research with undergrads, and it is relatively easy for the students to get a research opportunity with a full-fledged professor, even freshman year. We have relatively notable faculty, but they are so approachable, that we notice it less. Most majors require students to write a senior thesis. Over 70% of classes are under 30 students, and the majority are 15 or fewer. The school is not an overly competitive place, in that the students are not cut-throat with each other; we're generally very helpful toward one another. There are over 30 school-sponsored study abroad programs, but it is not difficult to petition to take a non-Pomona program. We're also affiliated with Middlebury Study Abroad, which is a great program. Over all, the academic experience is wonderful.

Dorms are wonderful! Housekeeping takes great care of us. The neighborhood the schools are in is pleasant, in a middle-aged sort of way. The Village of Claremont is a fun place to eat, though a bit pricey for college students. The campus facilities are all top-notch. The library is shared with the consortium, so we have the resources of a mid-sized school library, in a small school.

Pomona uses the Common Application, but there is a supplement, with different essay questions. Interviews are recommended, and can be in the form of an on-campus interview with a senior interviewer, or an alumni interview. There are two early decision dates, and then a regular decision admission program. The application process is need-blind.

Go to www.pomona.edu to find answers to all of these questions. POMONA IS EXCEPTIONAL!

Nice residential college, in a beautiful and safe community. So happy that I decided to come here!

Common App with Pomona College Supplement
Interview strongly recommended for local students.
Early and Regular Decision Options
GREAT financial aid.

General requirements and core classes - extremely reasonable, especially because many Pomona students have very diverse interests. I and most of my friends fulfill the breadth requirement (one course each in 5 different general subject areas: art and expression, logic and mathematical reasoning, hard sciences, and two categories to cover social studies) without realizing it. The PE courses are all fun, most students go above and beyond the meager requirement in the course of their athletics activities, or just for fun. Language requirement (2 years) is not insignificant, but possible to place out of. Major degree requirements vary greatly between departments, with some majors as few as 9 courses and no required thesis, to a max of 16 courses and required thesis or senior project.

All my interactions with professors at Pomona - from academic advising to office hours to lectures to panicked midnight email exchanges regarding course schedules and summer REUs - have been excellent. All the professors here love teaching and are eager to help you do your best, learn the material, and hopefully develop a deep love for their subject whether or not you're a major. My advisor (also professor and head of my major's department) has helped me search for summer opportunities, forwarding specific REUs she thinks would especially appeal to my interests - based on the many, many hours we've spent together - and I know I'm not the only one to have such a close and rich relationship with my advisor.

Grades are somewhat inflated, it varies greatly by major (Read: don't expect to get straight A's in math or computer science). Everyone at Pomona is brilliant, but you DON'T talk about grades except with your closest friends - we're all here to learn and go to class because we love to learn and enjoy our subjects, not to get good grades (though people do). We work hard ... very hard, and dedicate a lot of time to extracurricular activities, but we also play hard, and always make time for our friends. We talk about work, but hide how stressed we are - that spoils the fun.

Study abroad is very common (I think about half the junior class goes abroad - but , again, it varies by major), Pomona makes it easy and encourages it.

VERY expensive, but once you'r on campus ... Pomona could not be better. I absolutely love it and miss it when I'm away. The campus is beautiful, the library expansive, though we like to complain there are tons of dining options between the 5 colleges of the consortium of which Pomona is a part. The campus feels very safe, and expect to see many smiles.

The City of Claremont likes to deny that it's a college town and is very expensive, but if you don't mind taking the bus or the train (or you have a car, in which case, you can expect to be very popular. Public transportation seriously sucks) the whole of Los Angeles and the Inland Empire is at your doorstep.

- Common Application with required supplement (including additional essay), arts supplement also available
- Interview offered but not required; only about half of my friends did interview
- Early decision and regular decision both offered
- Tons of need-based financial aid available, more common than not to be on financial aid; several of my friend chose Pomona over other schools in part because more aid was offered

All classes are divided into five areas (i.e. humanities, social sciences, math, science, etc) and each student must take one class in each area. Additionally, each student must complete three semesters of foreign language (or test out), and take a PE class. The breadth requirements are very light. Academic advisors are assigned randomly to all freshmen; once they have declared their major, they must select an advisor in their field. Advising is required to enroll in classes. Class sizes are small. My largest class at Pomona has been about 25 people, but generally they range from 10-20. Professors are ridiculously accessible - their doors are open, they know your name, they invite you over for dinner. Research opportunities are plentiful; the summer undergraduate research program pays students to do research with their professors. Students are not at all competitive amongst each other; group work is encouraged and very common. Grading is inflated. Workload is definitely what you make of it, but mine was huge.

Pomona is a residential college and the vast majority of people live on campus (something like more than 95%). Room & board is a flat fee, and housing is based on a lottery. The rooms are nice; they are definitely dorm-style living, but they're welcoming and spacious. The campus is beautiful, and is constantly renovated -- in fact, we just built gorgeous new dorms that I'm sad I won't get to live in. I spent a lot of time in the library; I adore the library cafe and the resources are wonderful. Dining is pretty bad, but they're working on that. Food has gotten considerably better this year. The neighborhood is a bubble - retirement community feel. There is no crime. We're considered one of the happiest places on earth!

There is a supplemental essay, interview (on campus or alumni), and two rounds of early decision. Pomona is part of the common application. It is also need-blind and will meet 100% of demonstrated need without loans.

common app and supplement, with additional optional essay and interview. No merit scholarships, but 100% financial need covered by scholarship.

Professors are very accessible. Class sizes are small and there are a lot of research opportunities.

Great people, great housing, great area in California, the library is great. I feel very safe on and off campus.

Common Application plus a supplemental part with a few unique essay questions. Interviews are important but not necessary.