2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The general requirements to graduate are very broad. Students only have to take 2 humanitites or fine art courses, 2 social science courses, 1 lab science course and 1 formal reasoning course. This flexibility was great as it allowed me to choose all of my classes. The academic advising was great as I had ver small class sizes. This worked well as the classes focused more on collaborative learning rather than competition. I also liked how this played in with the study abroad programs of which 74% of the student body takes advantage of.

The residential housing was fantastic. I lived on campus for 3 years. I was very happy with the size of my residence hall and location of the library and safty on campus. What really made the experience though, was how social life was integrated into the residence halls. I felt included in all of the social events and never had to walk more than 15 minutes to get to any event.

Pitzer offers Early Decision, but I applied to Pitzer regular decision. They used the Common Application, as well as a suppliment, which includes a section about being testing optional and one additional essay. I also interviewed on campus with an Admission Counselor.

2008

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

A very personalized and unique process that strives to treat each applicant as an individual and evaluate that person in the way that they would like to be evaluated. Pitzer is testing optional, meaning that standardized tests are not required which is symbolic of the college's commitment to looking at a holistic candidate.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Very easy application process. Application, essays, test scores, interview, and teacher recommendations. nothing out of the ordinary

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Pitzer requires less "general ed: courses and allows students to take control of their curriculum. There are about 60 majors/minors to chose from, classes are on verage 15-20, professors are readily available, many research opportunities durinfg the academic year and summer, and about 75% of students study abroad.

great sense of community, brand new green residence halls (GOLD LEED), beautiful city, great dining and nightlife in local downtown area, safe area, and overall great place to live.

The admissions office at Pitzer College looks at everything the student has to offer. Not one area is given more attention. Pitzer seeks to admit students who can trive here academically while making a difference in the community. Pitzer is a user of the Common App, Early Decision is optional, interviews are high encouraged for regualr decision, test optional, and provides students with the ability to showcase their creativity.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

2 Social Sciences, 2 Humanities, 1 Natural Science, 1 Formal Reasoning (math); Major Requirements 10-12 classes in field and a Senior Thesis; Great academic advising; 12:1 student/professor ratio makes awesome class sizes; accessible and exceptional professors; not an "unhealthy" competitiveness between students; Study Abroad is strongly encouraged, meaning tons of options and opportunities; mostly reasonable workload with a few exceptions

Love living on campus; great dining halls; feel very safe; facilities are awesome; HAPPY!

Simple admission process: Common Application, interviews, early decision or regular decision, financial aid, scholarship opportunities

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Very limited core requirements allowing a lot of freedom to pick classes! The requirements for majors are fair, the academic advising is hit or miss. My adviser is fantastic, but I know of many people who are very unsatisfied with the help they are (or are not) receiving. The classes were larger than I expected, but still small and well within the published stats. The professors however make the program! The Pitzer faculty is out there to (for the most part) teach and get to know students. I still have regular conversations with professors from past classes, and all of them offer very open office hours to provide advice and help with courses. Pitzer isn't too competitive internally; everyone is pretty much focused on their own course of study. The grading is hit or miss; there were a few classes where I received grades that I believe were not indicative of my work, but there is always going to be some arbitrary factor. Some of the faculty is quite accomplished in their fields, and the fact that all tenured/tenure-track faculty have their terminal degrees is apparent in and out of class. From what I have been told study abroad is great, but I have not been able to do so yet as a first-year student. The workload is completely up to you; a student could take a bunch of easy classes, or could take a bunch of extremely difficult ones. It's flexible to the student, but if you want a challenge, you will find it easily.

Excellent housing, rooms are comfortable and staff is friendly. Cost of living isn't bad as long as you don't buy a lot of off campus items. The facilities at Pitzer are great, and even better when combined with the resources of the other Claremont Colleges. The library is huge and they are doing a great job right now revitalizing it even more. The campus is beautiful, it is like being in my own little slice of paradise. Dining is great too! The food is very healthy for the most part, and there are more options than one could choose from, also with the benefit of 6 other dining halls throughout the Colleges. The neighborhood is quiet and suburban, but one can get to downtown L.A. in 45 minutes on the train. The community and the College have a little strain, but generally relations are fine. Crime is minimal, only some instances of petty theft. Ultimately, it's a pretty great place to be in, a strong community feel with great services!

Great application questions on the educational objectives of the school, very friendly counselors (one even drove us in his personal car back to our hotel!), and a very easy process. Although there was no way to check application status online, I felt informed about the admission process. Pitzer also runs a blog which was intragral to my process; it allowed me to keep in touch with the happenings at the College and to help me make a decision in the end.