Wonderful school. We Are

October 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

City in the middle of nowhere...FILLED WITH COLLEGE AGED STUDENTS! Great combination of academics and the joys of "the best four years" of your life.

Can get a bit cold in the winter, and the school prides itself on never(!) closing. But that just makes the warm months more appreciated :)

Comments

Visit the school. Check out the academics first and foremost, but consider taking in a football or hockey game as well. I wasn't a football fan (at all) prior to college, but the experience of being at a Penn State home game is perhaps unrivaled--(and ranked by Sports Illustrated as one of the top 10-sports related experiences to have before you die). Compare the whole vs. the other schools you're considering, and go with your gut (even if it's not Penn State). The academics, campus, people...all wonderful. The camaraderie? I dare you to compare it to the other schools you visit. It's in a league of it's own, and simply tremendous. Last but not least, do a YouTube search for "THON" -- watch a few of those videos, and see what the student body at Penn State is about in just a few short -- unbelievable -- moments.

Good University

bureaucratic administration
some classes too large
flawed classes
some political leanings supported

Comments

cookie cutter
little ability to do things your way
high demand from employers
lots of opportunity

Penn State University Park

November 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

Penn State is a large school which means there is a diverse range of opportunities to choose from

The difficulties that come with navigating all of the opportunities that are available really limits how much you can truly explore

Comments

Know what you want to study or possibly study before you get here. Going to Penn State for Business or Engineering is great, but if you want to switch your major to something chances are PSU will have it, but it doesn't mean it is in the same tier of excellence as the major you originally intended

Penn State

June 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

alumni network and career fairs helped place me in my first job after college

large student population requires one to get involved to make friends and take advantage of what the school has to offer. Can be daunting For some

Comments

great professors that care about their students and make themselves available for advice, additional help, etc.

Most of the general ed classes at Penn State are really big, like around one hundred students in a lecture hall. There are several TAs (Teacher's Assistants) in each class, who are upperclassmen who did well in the class and have come back to help current students. So I always had several resources if I needed help with my schoolwork. As I finished my general ed requirements and moved into classes particular to my chosen major, class size became much smaller and I found that I talked a lot more with my professors and not with their TAs when I had concerns. My advisor was awesome and very helpful and I was constantly stopping by her office to confirm classes I was planning to register for in subsequent semesters, talk about my GPA, etc. Penn State faculty in general is very eager to see students succeed. I found that if ever I needed help or advice with anything I was working on, several staff members made themselves available to talk with me in person, by e-mail, or by phone. My workload was very reasonable, not to say that I didn't study hard. I found that I was easily able to keep on top of my studies while having an active social life, although there were nights I spent busting out papers that I would rather have been downtown with my roommates. The same is true for grades: An 'A' is totally achievable, but you have to take your schoolwork seriously if you want to get it. I did not choose to study abroad while in college, but my sister who also went to Penn State did study in Argentina for a semester.

State College, PA--where the main campus of Penn State is located--is the nicest, safest town. There are so many dorms on campus and lots of apartments just off campus for students to live in. There are also several other apartment buildings throughout the town. There are two big libraries, one on campus and one downtown, just off campus, available to students. The food is excellent. Because the university is so close to downtown State College, there are so many restaurants and tons of bars within short walking distance of every dorm and downtown apartment. There is a bus system that travels throughout the town, so it's easy to get to campus even if you do choose to live further away. State College is a really happy place. I went to Penn State for six years and I really believe there's no place like it. I really miss it now that I've graduated.

The application process was fairly simple for me. I filled out an application and also sent in my high school transcript and my SAT score. I don't remember needing to write an application letter.

2009

General requirements for everyone and college specific. General requirements include speech, two english classes, gym classes, and a number of credits in science, international studies, philososy, etc. There were many research opportunitues, and study abroad opporutnities. I chose to spend a summer in Italy. Workload for architectural engineering was fairly heavy. Faculity was very notable, yet easily accessible. General education classes were large while major specific classes were small.

the community is a small college town. It was affordable and safe with excellent facilities and library. There were unlimited resources.

2008

Very challenging. When I speak to my friends who have pursued similar degrees at other public universities, Penn State has math and science requirements that are much more rigorous. The academic advising I received at Penn State was incredible - my former adviser became a mentor and friend - we still keep in touch. Core courses like Bio 101 were huge - but more specialized classes were much smaller, making it much easier to interact with professors and classmates. I also had an opportunity to travel abroad to study in Russia with most expenses covered by funding secured by the College of Ag Sciences.

Great facilities, beautiful campus with plenty of green areas and beautiful buildings. Unfortunately, very expensive to live on campus.

It's been a while, but I remember the application being somewhat long. The essay section was challenging but gave me an opportunity to express myself openly. Getting into the University Park Campus on my first year was not easy as space for first year students is limited.

2007

Very competitive, large class sizes, notable faculty, heavy workload

A lot of fun things to do

Application and essay

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

application, optional essay.

2005

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Certain number of GenEds, which take up alot of your workload at first, then as you move higher up in your major you get more specific to your field.