New College doesn't force you to take all the "Core" classes other schools do. For instance, if you are a history major and have good enough SAT scores you don't need to take any Math classes. However, almost every major requires one science, and there are special science classes for non majors. However, New College wants you to master your field. Therefore, the lack of an extremely strict core class system is replaced w/ heavy classes in your field from day one. By the end you will be conducting independent research in your field similar or better than what you will do in a Masters program (My masters was a joke compared to New College).

Day one you will be assigned an academic advisor, you will have meetings w them at the beginning of each semester. You can make appointments w them regularly as they have and advising schedule for appointments every week.
More than 90 percent of classes are 15 people or less. The biggest classes are Natural Sciences where it is not unusual to see 30 people in a class. However, all professors are highly accessible they are willing to help. Nevertheless, they need to see your desire to create and work for your own opportunities.
Very competitive academics but not in a traditional head to head w other students. What matters here is that you learn and take up on challenges from your professors.
Work load is heavy but not unmanageable. For a Social Science student it is not uncommon to read between 200-400 pages a week per class. But trust me...it is all very fun.

Cost of housing is fair, first year accommodations are not great but very cheap, cost of living in Sarasota is low (specially considering how wealthy and nice it is), campus is beautiful, facilities are good and getting better, library is excellent (especially for a small school), on campus dinning is...(kinda gross) and a little expensive, but the cafeteria really makes an effort to make great food, they just can't seem to keep up w the demands from the students (Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivore food is served for almost every meal). The neighborhood surrounding New College is nice in one side....the other is ugh...New Town (just don't walk through the neighborhood). College has good relations in the community. Very low crime, most of it is petty (bikes stolen etc), it is very safe. Campus is truly extremely happy.

Two essays encouraged, Interviews encouraged and considered in admission process. Generous scholarship opportunities. Apply early, even though the process is highly competitive it still remains very friendly. Don't be afraid to call and inquire in regards to your application.
This school is mostly attended by middle high class white students, make sure you note what makes you different, how are you unique. New College truly fosters individuality, don't be afraid to show yours. No topic...except illegal ones(even those might find friendly ears) is out of line. Just be yourself show that you work hard, are independently motivated, and can deal w a diversity of situations. If that doesn't sound like you or you truly don't have an open mind this is not the school for you. Having said that you can be of any political affiliation, personal orientation, religion, or walk of life and will be respected as long as you respect as well.

New College has very small class sizes and very dedicated faculty. Students are interested in their academic work. Outside of class, on the residential college campus, academic topics are a frequent part of social conversation. Students often undertake independent research projects. Undergraduate students create many long papers and a senior thesis, a significant work usually about 100 pages in length.

New College is a liberal arts college and is strongest in core, fundamental disciplines: economics, pure math, political theory, classics, philosophy, sociology, and social theory. New College also has a strong marine science program, a product of its access to Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, and its partnership with Mote Marine Laboratory.

New College's student life is centered on its residential campus, where 80 percent of students live. There is a vibrant social life on campus, drawing on a student-run coffeeshop that is open late into the evening, and on a largely student-driven music scene.

2009

There are no general requirements at New College. Students have the chance to create their own course of study if that which they desire is not offered. All students have an adviser with whom they can discuss their coursework. Class size was small. Some of my classes had only 6 students. My largest class had about 60. The professors are fabulous and opportunities for research abound. All students are required to write an undergraduate thesis.
I did not find students to be competitive with one another. In lieu of grades, New College has written evaluations which provide more to the student. It is easier to determine as a student where you are doing well or poorly because your professors tell you clearly and in some detail how you are doing.

The housing is the best I have ever seen at a university. The main dining facility is a little lackluster but has been improving. The student-run cafe on campus is fabulous. The campus is beautiful.

I always felt comfortable on campus because of the close community and the good relationship with the campus police.

2009

Available professors, small class sizes

Rolling admissions, emphasis on "Fit"

2009

The Liberal Arts Curriculum is a very broad and expansive set of criteria that enabled me to study what I was really interested in. For example, I took Environmental Studies, the Norman Conquest of the Medieval World, Political Science, Religion and LGBT rights courses all in my first year! The class sizes are very small with my biggest at maybe 15 students. The professors are brilliant and encourage you to meet with them and offer a whole range of great resources. Grading is a lot more personal as the A, B, C system has been thrown out. It gives you a lot more feedback then a simple "A". Getting the "Strongly Satisfactory" at the end of a class is the best feeling in the world as you know you and the professor have really worked together.

Housing is relatively nice, living off campus isn't really necessary and costs can be quite low. The campus is beautiful, the bay front is a great place for just about anything and the facilities of the campus are great for the student population size. The campus is really closely-nit and quite safe while dining is better than I ever had in elementary, middle, or high school.

The essay questions were pretty unique and really got me thinking about what I wanted out of life and what I had so far. I was pretty set on going to New College and they provided me with suitable financial aid when I told them that I'd be going.

How the fact that every professor at New College has their terminal degree in their field has managed to mostly escape national attention is beyond me. As a freshman, I took a class with only fourteen other people taught by a professor with a PhD from Harvard. How many other college students in the country can say that? Probably fourteen. For all of this that is given, though, much is expected. Twenty-page term papers are fairly standard in the humanities and social sciences departments. Though the professors are kind and understanding, do no expect exceptions to be made.

Housing is ridiculously expensive, and though novo collegians love to complain about things like how expensive housing is, the facilities are really nice. Most freshmen live in the Pei dorms, which are very spacious and well air conditioned. Many rooms have balconies, and all rooms have their own bathroom, including a shower. Older students can get apartment-style housing with individual bedrooms and their own kitchens. Other facilities on campus also make you feel like you're home, or better than at home: We have a year-round outdoor pool, hammocks swath many of the palm trees, and word has it that it isn't too difficult to climb on top of the student center to watch the sunrise.
New College has one of the safest campuses I've ever been on. As a female student, I have no fear walking at night anywhere on campus by myself, even on the weekends. One major plus of the campus being so small is that it's very obvious if someone is on campus who doesn't belong there, and these people are quickly reported to the campus police who escort them off campus.
That being said, one major downside to having small campus is the lack of food options. We have one cafeteria that has ludicrous hours (4:45-5:45 for dinner? Really?) and is supplied by the same food company that serves many of the nation's prison's. That should tell you something. Some people complain about the large amount of meal points freshman are required to purchase, but if you're like me and don't have a car your first year, you'll go through them all easily enough.

By all accounts, more emphasis is placed on the essay than at other schools. New College is definitely a place that appreciates individuals, so it pays to show your true inner freak - so long as you have the grades to back it up.

Narrative evaluations, honors thesis required, class sizes around 18 students, lots if independence.

housing is expensive and the food is awful but it's happier than disney

Common application with particular attention paid to essays.

The requirements are reasonable and allow room for specialization according to your interests. The small size of the school limits the amount of classes offered, but there is a good variety, for the size. Advising is great, the professors are very helpful and involved in helping you figure out your course of study. Class sizes are very small (mine have been 7-20 kids each). Professors are incredibly accessible. The classes aren't competitive, it is more like students help each other out and learn from each other. The work load is pretty big, but manageable. The faculty are all great, all PhDs with a lot of research experience and published materials.

Housing is decent. The first year dorms are pretty terrible, but the apartments are pretty okay. We have water outages and stuff like that every now and then, and the housing department charges exorbitantly for non-existent "room damages." The dorms are very expensive, and they let very few students live off campus. The food is pretty terrible, but there's vegan options, at least. Campus is very safe, the police look out for us. Living on campus has its drawbacks, but I enjoy it overall.

Common application. Interviews are optional. There is early decision. Awesome scholarships (I got National Merit, which covers most of my out-of-state tuition).

Class sizes are anywhere from 2 students to 30. The general requirements are the Liberal Arts Curriculum. There are major degree requirements for all Areas of Concentration (normally students discuss these requirements with their advisors). The professors are extremely accessible. There are research opportunities available, but students must be proactive in getting them. It is very competitive due to its size. The grading is done not with grades but through the evaluation system. A student either completes a course with a satisfactory, or fails it with an unsatisfactory. Professors offer constructive criticism through these evaluations. The faculty mostly has end degrees in their fields. There are many study abroad opportunities if a student wishes to pursue them. The workload is heavy, but if a student is self-motivated, it is fun to get done.

Housing is nice with great facilities. The cost of living is reasonable. The campus is absolutely beautiful. The library is well kept and always has what I am looking for. The dining is subpar, but acceptable. The neighborhood is fine; sometimes it seems less than safe but our campus police keeps me feeling safe. I am more than satisfied with life at my school. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Common Application was used with the essay questions used for all Common Applications. There were many financial aid and scholarship opportunities available from this college.

New College emphasizes student input on education. Along with an adviser, students are encouraged to help create their own curriculum and requirements for graduation, while still using tried and true guidelines made by the school.

Because it is such a small school, the majority of New College students live on campus. This creates a wonderful atmosphere and allows for a very real sense of community to develop.