I loved MSU

February 2017 | FORMER STUDENT

The campus is beautiful. Walking to class felt therapeutic.
Diversity: I was from a very small town and had to live in the dorms the first year. I met so many new people from different places and backgrounds. It was wonderful for me.
Professors: Mine were always available and willing to help me out.
Location: East Lansing, Lansing, surrounding areas have lots to do
Jobs: I was able to easily get campus jobs

The dorms were small and outdated. Some of my freshman classes were held in the basements of the dorm halls and I felt like for what I was paying, the atmosphere should have been better.

Comments

Try to really think about what you want to do with your college experience and degree, because your advisors won't do that for you.

We have a host of general requirements we must take. Once those are completed however there are many classes in each field of study. There are many majors to choose from, each being unique with their degree requirements. Advisers are easy to get in contact with and are generally very helpful when it comes to finding the best course of action for your degree. There are many opportunities to work with professors, as well as have research opportunities. The sciences especially have a great deal of research opportunities.

Campus is beautiful, and living on campus is easy and very comfortable. I have never once felt unsafe on-campus, and rarely felt unsafe off-campus. The surrounding area of East Lansing is slightly pricey when it comes to living, but nothing can beat the atmosphere.

We must fill out a paper application which has two short answers. Then we must complete a proctored essay.

University requirements plus degree requirements. Class sizes vary from very few, such as 10, to very very large, there is a 600+ seat lecture hall in the college of business.

it's all really great, seriously.

Application. Includes one essay. If you enroll before a certain date, you are automatically put in a pool for scholarships.

I enjoy the varying class sizes at MSU. I have been in classes ranging from 20 students to over 600, and I have enjoyed all of my experiences in these classes. All professors at MSU are required to hold weekly office hours in which they are fully available to their students. I have found that many professors will go above and beyond to interact with students outside of classroom and give them additional help with the class or with letters of recommendation.

I also really enjoy the many choices I have in completing the general University requirements. All of the professors I have had for my general requirements are amongst the top in their fields and really care about their student's education.

I love living on campus as a Resident Mentor. I have always enjoyed the variety of food served in the dining halls, and MSU is constantly working on improving all of its living facilities.

It has been 3 years since I applied, but I remember writing an essay concerning diversity.

All professors are required to hold office hours during which time they are fully available to their students.
All students must take a math, writing, and social science courses in order to graduate.

I cannot remember any of my admissions process.

120 credits to graduate, particular courses in your field are required. Class sizes range from very small to very big. Accessibility of professors and research opportunities are huge.

Great network of friends, wonderful family support and good balance between academics and social life.

Online application with essay.

I am a member of a learning community which provides unique learning, classroom, laboratory and community opportunites to students interested in pursuing degrees in the sciences. I believe this has increased my general knowledge and college experience exponencially.

The cost of living is nothing extraordinary and the cost of housing is comperable to other universities with similar community structures. The main campus library is fantastic, though the reduced hours of operation are not. University and community relations are excellent from what I have experienced. We live in a mutualistic relationship which helps protect from violance and encourages exploration of life and self.

The application precess was common and nothing extraordinary. Those this does not mean students will take the process lightly, more will be encouraged to apply without genuine interest in attending Michigan State.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I've had great experiences with most of my classes and find it relevant. Unfortunately, the IAH and ISS classes haven't created much benefit to me. I feel that they can sometime be too hard for a general education class with things that may not impact me. Although, some of the books I've read in those classes have been interesting.

It's great. There's so many opportunities and I feel very at home. I always study at different libraries around campus or different residence hall study lounges and I never feel out of place. There's not much crime and I feel safe.

Very straight forward, the application essay question was directed toward diversity, I heard back in a timely manner, I did regular decision but submitted my application early, I've received several grants and loans for my education as well

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

General education courses, major requirements for all majors, small and large class sizes, very accessible professors, amazing study abroad opportunities, large spectrum of difficulty of grading

There is every housing opportunity available: dorms, apartments, houses, townhouses, duplexes, co-ops. The closer you live to campus, the more expensive it generally is. There are 2 libraries on opposite sides of campus which makes it very convenient. Dining opportunities are everywhere. There is security located around the apartments on campus which makes it a very safe environment. Buses are provided everywhere among campus in case you live farther away. Living on campus and off campus are both great experiences and I would suggest trying out different things!

Application questions, personal statement, rolling admissions

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

We have a 4.0 scale. We have general education classes in social studies, biological science, physical sciences, etc. We are a liberal arts school so we get taught a variety of subjects. We have exceptional career and major advising across campus. Professors are always available and we have tons of research opportunities. We have very good faculty in the history department and the workload is reasonable.

Everything is toooo expensive here from housing to parking. I hate it! Crime is descent and Im happy.

The essay questions for the application ask about how we have experienced cultures from our own and how have we changed because of the experience.