From an Alumnus

November 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Everyone here is very bright and into their studies, courses cover a lot more material than at other schools, beautiful campus

grade deflation (A work at another school is a B here), too much work, little school spirit, not many avenues or opportunity for fun and relaxation

Comments

Difficult to get a good GPA here if you're pre-professional. Great school for engineering. Consider if you're willing to sacrifice a "fun" college experience for good grades and a Hopkins degree. University is generous with aid for lower to middle class families. Many great companies recruit directly from Hopkins campus.

The classes are about 100x more difficult than any other school in the US and it shows in our GPA's.

Everything here is pretty great except pricing.

I applied early decision via Common App.

Classes at hopkins are very demanding and rigorous. There is no grade inflation so students are expected to perform. I personally do not feel a sense of competition among my classmates and rather work with them constantly to accomplish problem sets, study etc.

Many buildings have been updated and are really nice. Wolman and Charles Commons are great dorms. Finding upperclassmen housing off-campus (virtually everyone does this) is hard if you are studying abroad.

common applications + additional questions; informational interviews; regular and early decisions

no core classes = awesome, 129 credits for my biomedical engineering degrees, study abroad opportunities even for engineers, decently small classes except for notably bigger classes like general chem, curves to around a B- generally

a pricey education, beautiful campus, security stationed everywhere, great ways to get involved in Baltimore

common app, interview, research funding opportunities

Hopkins has no core curriculum meaning you will not be forced to take a specific class or a specific set of classes to fulfill requirements to graduate. Hopkins however does encourage interdisciplinary study by requiring distribution credits such as "Writing Intensive" classes which transcend the boundaries of specific disciplines. For example, Screenwriting and Intro to Fiction and Poetry are both "Writing Intensive" as is "Intro to Business".

Hopkins is a difficult school but if/when you do have difficulty in classes a tremendous support structure is in place. Academic advising employs professional advisors to help with any sort of academic dilemma you might encounter in your tenure. Hopkins funded but student run organizations such as the "Writing Center" and the "Learning Den" are free student help areas.

Professors are required to hold office hours and are extremely accessible. May professors are even willing to meet with students outside of office hours at local coffee shops to discuss material.

For many years, Hopkins has a stigma of being a "cutthroat" atmosphere and that students try to “bring others down to academically rise up". This is completely untrue. A vast majority of our study space on-campus (Library, Hutzler Reading Room, Levering, etc.) are GROUP study areas. Professors encourage learning cooperatively however plagiarism is a highly frowned upon crime punishable by immediate expulsion.

Class sizes are mostly small. Intro classes tend to be a bit bigger but only making up a few of your classes as underclassmen. As you get more specialized, class sizes become very small. Avg class size is between 10-20.

Study abroad office is absolutely amazing and can pretty much find any opportunity in any country.

Research on campus is super prevalent and can be done in almost any field. Most internships and research opportunities are either for pay or credit which is always a plus.

Facilities such as the rec center, computer rooms, and game rooms are all fantastic and in great condition. Everything you could possibly ever need is on campus.

Security is very tight on campus and Hopkins was recently voted the safest campus in the nation by readers digest. We employ off duty Baltimore PD and ex-military as JHU Security (called Hop Cops). Behavioral analysis cameras also litter the campus keeping an eye 24/7. We also have a van service which will pick you up and take you anywhere within 1 mile of campus for free anytime between 5pm and 3am.

Many students who spend all their time in their room or the library do not enjoy Hopkins. If you ask anyone who is even the slightest bit active in the Hopkins campus they will tell you they absolutely love it. Ask any of our wonderful "Blue Key" tour guides and they will tell you the same!

Common and Universal App accepted with mandatory supplement. Supplement essays ussually ask questions such as, "Why Hopkins" and "What do you want to major in and why?".

Interviews are conducted by current students on-campus and by alumni off campus. Not mandatory but offered. Good way to get a solid feel for the school and the types of people who are on and off campus.

Early decision deadline is Nov. 1. Early decision has much higher acceptance rate however it is binding. ED shows a commitment to Hopkins which is taken very seriously and puts you at a significant advantage.

Common and Universal App accepted with mandatory supplement. Supplement essays usually ask questions such as, "Why Hopkins" and "What do you want to major in and why?”

Interviews are conducted by current student’s on-campus and by alumni off campus. Not mandatory but offered. Good way to get a solid feel for the school and the types of people who are on and off campus.

Admissions looks at students as a whole, not only GPA or SAT scores. Admissions truly want students who show a passion for learning while also giving back to the community.

Scholarships are readily available and financial aid (under recently elected president Ron Daniels) is tremendous. Avg package is around $29,000. Overall tuition (inc room and board) is around $55,000. Money to attend school is available; students must seek it however and will not be just thrown at them. Woodrow Wilson Scholarship is $10,000 to do individual research in any field. Hodsun Trust Scholarship: Half to Full scholarship for exceptional students on merit based.

-top notch academics
-no core --> distribution classes
-academic advisors --> great! get assigned to one before your freshman year and help you select classes
-accessibility of professors --> required to hold office hours at least once per week for at least an hour
-hopkins is based on research! "the truth will set you free"
-great study abroad programs and curriculums

-housing: great, required for first two years, not guaranteed after sophomore year
-facilities: great!
-library: great, small space, but building a new learning commons to accommodate everyone
-dining: good! lots of options in different locations on campus
-neighborhood: great neighborhood, young professionals and small families
-community relations: EXCELLENT!
-crime and safety: we're in Baltimore, but on campus feels very safe
-overall happiness: EXTREMELY HAPPY!

-we have early decision (fall deadline) and a regular decision (late winter deadline)
-we accept the common application
-we have an additional supplemental essay
-there are countless merit-based scholarships available, as well as need-based financial aid awards

There is no core curriculum at Johns Hopkins. However, each student is required to complete distribution requirements to ensure that he or she is getting a well-rounded education.

There is no core curriculum at Hopkins but each major has their own distribution requirements. Class sizes vary. Only intro classes exceed 100 students and the rest tend to be very small in number and intimate. Professors always have office hours and are very easy to get in touch with and meet with if necessary. While this is an extremely competitive university, it is healthy competition and more common is competition within the student.

Hopkins is an incredible campus where I am always made to feel extremely safe. My freshman dorm was perfectly located right on campus near the dining hall and close to class buildings. The campus is not too large and is very easy to navigate. The school itself has good relations with the community which improves the safety of the school. I am very happy where I am. My sophomore year housing will be even more ideal with a much more modern living situation.

Johns Hopkins is a university that does use the Common Application along with 2 other essays. I applied early decision and interviewed at the university as well.

There aren't any general requirements or core classes at Hopkins, instead you have distribution requirements which encourage you to take classes outside of your major designation (i.e. Natural Science, Social Science, Humanities, or Engineering). The major degree requirements are beyond fair, and you're only required to take courses that ensure you'll understand the concepts presented in your major classes. Academic Advising is extremely accessible and helpful when you're choosing classes, and 65% of the classes are 20 students or less (with only 5% above 100 students, these are the general sciences and pre-med classes). Professors are always available and they're required to hold office hours (as are the TAs), and there are countless research opportunities since there is a strong link between the graduate schools and the undergraduate campus/institutions. There is minimal competitiveness on the campus, despite the rumors. Grading is almost always fair, and there are only a few professors that limit the amount of As. There are 32 Nobel Laureates among the Hopkins faculty, and almost all of the professors you'll have here are notable for some reason. I can't comment much about the Study Abroad opportunities since I won't end up doing that while I'm here. The workload is always manageable if you learn how to budget your time, if you don't know how to do it then you'll have a hard time here.

Housing at Hopkins is really great, especially for upperclassmen (the upperclassmen dorms are infinitely nicer than the freshmen dorms, but that's because they were built much more recently). The campus is amazing, they have facilities for almost everything (although some such as the rec center aren't large enough for the campus), the library will have plenty of room once Brody Learning Commons is complete, dining is amazing, as is the neighborhood. We have amazing relations with our community, and we've never had an issue with crime as long as I've been here (although we've had a few safety issues, all of which have been resolved). Overall I couldn't be happier with the quality of life here.

The admissions process is constantly changing, and each year there are awesome new unique application questions, but there is always the option to choose your own topic for the first application essay if you use the CommonApp. Interviews are offered to students when they visit campus, or if they'd like to interview with alumni in the area. Hopkins offers ED but not EA, and they support the CommonApp. I can't comment much on financial aid since I don't have it, but I do know that there are several merit-based scholarship opportunities for incoming freshmen, and for rising sophomores.

There are no general requirements or core curriculum for any major. There are simply categories that must be filled like Humanities and Social Sciences, or Technical Electives. The advising offices for me in Mechanical Engineering are spectacular. My advisor and the guy who manages the office knew my name before I knew theres. They are super friendly and always willing to meet. I couldn't be happier with the whole staff. One of the nicest things about this relationship with your advisor as well as most professors means that it is a LOT easier to get advice and possible even a job from them. About 70% of students at Hopkins end of doing research. The school is exceptionally good at pairing up students with their interests in academics and providing a real world application for it. The grading is very difficult and the school has very little grade inflation compared to a lot of other upper echelon schools like the Ivies, or places like Stanford. This can be difficult when applying to jobs or grads schools where you are at a 3.5 and the average is a 3.2 and someone at Harvard has a 3.7 but the average is a 3.4. This means the same thing but at a quick glance might look worse.

Housing is great. Hopkins owns the entire surrounding area to campus including a lot of the random apartment buildings. One of the primary concerns with living in Baltimore is the crime but if you're intelligent about it you'll be fine. There is campus security everyone who are honestly looking out for you. Most of them who catch you with a drink will simply tell you to dump it out and get home safely. If you don't push their buttons you'll be fine because they know they're here for your best interests. They understand we're in college and there are more pressing concerns they might need to deal with.

One of the nicest things about the University is that they have so much money that they are continually adding to the facilities. They always have several new construction projects underway on campus to add to the experience. Where this might be annoying for the upper class men who won't get to enjoy them, the incoming students have a totally brand new building when they get here.

We have unique application essay questions. Interviews are not required but can be used to supplement your application package. There is early decision which is binding and was how I was accepted. I got in early and it made the whole process so much more relaxing I was done December 15th and was able to enjoy the latter half of my senior year of high school.