2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

As a double major and transfer student, there were quite a few requirements, both general and departmental.I have not had a class I did not enjoy, some more than others, of course. I found the level of advising most helpful in making the correct decisions about courses, from the on-line DIG source, to departmental and academic advisors, as well as fellow students, who had been through the courses. The load was always fair. I took many writing intensive courses, and I believe they make all the difference in academic success. Most of the classes I have taken had relatively smaller class sizes, which makes for a better rapport with the professor. There is absolutely no way I can say enough about the Professors in the Classics Department at Hunter College-CUNY. Dr. Tamara Green and Dr. Ronnie Ancona have been exceptional in their support.

Busy, active, vibrant, exciting. There is on-campus dining. Safety is very high.

Hunter College allowed me the opportunity as a transfer student to apply most of my credits, and continue my degree as a dual major. I was able to take advantage of many scholarship opportunities, study abroad programs, work study and internships through departmental advisors.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

On my first day at Hunter, one of my Spanish professors acutely summed up Hunter's attitude in one sentence: "Poor ain't stupid". Many of Hunter's professors teach at other prestigious schools in the city so you're getting the exact same education for 40K less in tuition per year.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Hunter has a mixed bag that is being improved. I have had many disagreements with friends over the general requirements and core classes at Hunter - an often-heard complaint is that they are too onerous and restrictive. However, I believe that the Hunter General Education Requirements provide two benefits. The first, and more important benefit, is that it mandates wide breadth in a student's preliminary college years. The point of an education is to become educated - to better oneself; and I believe that the Hunter GER is a good starting point. The second benefit is perhaps more restrictive. There is supposedly a disturbing trend - that many incoming students are not entirely prepared for a college education. The GER helps provide for this.
Major degree requirements are excellent; class sizes vary, with the 200 and 300 level classes being the least crowded and generally the most enjoyable and educational. Professors at Hunter are a mixed group; as a rule, adjuncts are hit or miss - I have either genuinely liked or disliked every adjunct I have. Associate, Assistant, and full Professors tend to be respectful, but there are several that do not provide adequate individual attention and are extremely unhelpful. There are some exemplary professors, however - outstanding examples of the pedagogical process at its finest. Professors Spiro Alexandratos (Chemistry,) Diana Conchado (Romance Languages,) and Walter Volkomer (Political Science) all come to mind.
People are not particularly competitive, unless they are pre-health/pre-med/pre-law, perhaps due to the competitiveness of those fields.
I believe that, generally speaking, Hunter College grading accurately reflects on the ability of the student in a particular class. There, of course, will be some element of human bias, but there are appropriate conflict resolutions in place for such occurrences. In addition, the Hunter workload is manageable, especially since students select however many credits they wish to.
Finally, I did not study abroad, but Hunter offers good opportunities to do so. Hunter has sufficient research opportunities for students in various disciplines.

The Brookdale dorms are an affordable location located in the Gramercy area of Manhattan. The general offering is single room occupancy, which is good for privacy but bad for community. The cost of living can be high if students are not budget conscious. The food in the area has its bright spots, with one or two putrid restaurants. In general, the area is safe, and the neighborhood is beautiful, with a vibrant nightlife.

I attended the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College, which had a slightly different application process. However, I know that Hunter College is among the more selective public colleges in the country. For instance, the college uses thought-provoking questions and essays to better gauge the writing abilities of the many applicants it receives. It provides many opportunities for low-income and disadvantaged students that might otherwise not receive them, granting as much financial aid as can be done. Hunter also has many generous scholarships - even for low-performing students with extenuating circumstances.

all of the above

all of the above

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There are general requirements and core classes. class sizes depended on the type of class it was. Major degree requirement classes were a concern in getting into during registration because of the high number of people trying to get into these classes. Grading for most professors are fair with a few exceptions who were very hard on grades.

Housing is the most affordable in all of the New York Schools. The location of where the schools are make food and other activities very accessible.

Common Application and financial aid and scholarship opportunities

foreign language.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Extensive general education requirements, pluralism/diversity requirements, foreign language requirement. Major requirements mildly confusing. Minor requirements changed in my junior year, leading to confusion. Professors generally accessible; plenty of research opportunities. Competitiveness among pre-med students, and all Honors students. Grading varied; usually could get an A just by doing all the work correctly. Very nice study-abroad program with University of Paris, plenty of winter-semester and summer programs too. Workload generally manageable.

Housing pretty good. All single rooms. Dull building, 30 minutes from main campus by subway, with about 600 rooms for a school of 20,000 people. Mostly Honors students (guaranteed room for free), grad students, students with athletic scholarships. Library sizable, decent collection, access to many valuable online databases/resources. Community relations, to my knowledge, fine. Very safe campus--as safe as NYC off-campus. Happiness pretty good.

It was a while ago, I don't remember. Pretty standard stuff, I think--an essay or two, SAT scores, etc. No interview.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Hunter College is not particularly challenging to me. The Honors coursework, however, is adequate. General Education Requirements are extensive and sometimes, needless.

The neighborhood and accommodations are less than stellar, but I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My school, the Macaulay Honors College, is highly selective, accepting about 10% of applicants. Application questions are keyed to understand the applicant's relationship with New York City. Personal essays and SAT scores are also required. SATII scores and interviews are optional. Early Decision is available. The scholarship is a full-ride if you are accepted.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Honors college had mostly solid, demanding classes. Hunter itself was very hit or miss. Undergrad Dept. of Education was awful. Low standards, poor teaching, bad curric. terrible advising with students being treated poorly weekly, as for research beyond the necessity, I heard it was disorganized.

Honors college had unique essay, and an interview for some students. I went early decision.

Very affordable.