Great Undergrad

Good number of classes
Great with financial aid
Teachers willing to help

Small number of students, divide between Bronx and Manhattan Campus

Comments

Consider what major you're likely going to choose, Fordham has many strong programs in difference areas

Fordham puts a big emphasis on the core curriculum, which takes up most of your time for freshman and sophomore year. The core is fairly broad, allowing you to take many different kinds of classes. The class sizes are very small (my largest this year has been 28), which helps the professors give you a lot of personal attention. Grading can sometimes be difficult, as the professors try to avoid grade inflation, but it makes you work harder. The workload can be heavy at times, but it is manageable. There are also lots of opportunities for study abroad, both during the year and over the summer.

Housing is decent: not horrible, but not fantastic. It's really expensive, though. Because Fordham is in New York, the cost of living can be really high. Campus is absolutely beautiful, and I love having a quiet green space in the middle of the city. Overall, I'm really happy at Fordham.

Fordham uses the online Common Application, and when I applied I did not have to do a supplement essay. It was not too difficult. For high scores on some standardized tests, they offer application fee waivers, which you would receive via email.

Jesuit Liberal Arts school so a very rigorous core.

Housing is good. The Office of Residential Life is often a pain to deal with. A lot of students live off campus. The area surrounding Fordham is relatively safe as long as you use your best judgment. The cafeteria is mediocre, the hours are not generous and the food is sometimes just thrown together.

Have a stream lined application to apply early action. The common application is accepted.

Core classes include-- 2 English, 2 history, 1 social science, 1 natural/life science, 1 fine arts requirement, 1 globalism, 1 pluralism, 4 EP's (Eloquentia Perfectas), 2 theology, 2 philosophy, 1 senior values, 1 math

Cost of living is expensive being that we are in the heart of Manhattan, but everything can be done on a budget as the school often offers cheap outings. Housing is apartment style with a living room, kitchen and private bathroom. All furniture is included. The library has over 500,000 volumes of reference material not including out online databases. We also have a media room where we can take out movies for free for up to 3 days. The neighborhood where Fordham LINCOLN CENTER is has been rated the safest in Manhattan for three years in a row now. We are one block away from Central Park, Lincoln Center, St. Luke's Hospital and the Columbus Circle subway stop which has all the main trains that can get you ANYWHERE in the 5 boroughs.

Fordham accepts the common app. along with an essay explaining why you want to go to Fordham and why you would be a good fit for the university. There is no interview process. Early action is accepted (which is not legally binding). Financial Aid is based on the FAFSA application. Scholarships are for top applicants such as applicants with perfect SAT scores, national contenders in research projects, etc.

There is a large liberal arts core, which consists of 13 classes if you are in the Gabelli School of Business. However, many of these liberal arts core classes are business related such as micro and macro economics, statistics, math for business, and calculus. There is also a large business core which is great if you are undecided as you can sample all major and minors. Even if you are decided, it is important to know the basics of all the core classes, so it will not be a waste of time for anyone. The business school has started implementing curves in most of its classes, and this has made for a much more competitive school. This, mixed in with small classes (avg class is 22 students) makes for great learning from some of the best professors. Being in NYC, most of the professors are either working or have worked for large companies which makes them great for networking and getting to know the business world. The workload is definitely not a piece of cake, but it will not keep you in the library all day (except for finals of course). Study abroad is easy to find and complete, Fordham works with a large number of colleges and universities, especially other Jesuit schools. You pay the normal tuition to Fordham and study in whatever country you choose.
Fordham is terrific with its classes and even better with research and internship opportunities. With the city at your fingertips, internships are a plenty.

Housing and food are somewhat expensive, but you have to realize that this is a city school which automatically means higher prices. Other than that the neighboring area is much better than one would expect. At the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx, we are surrounded by the Botanical Gardens, Bronx Zoo, and Arthur Avenue (the original Little Italy). The Lincoln Center campus is located right next to the Metropolitan Opera House on the upper west side in the Lincoln Center area, possibly the most beautiful part of Manhattan. Safety is not issue, security does a terrific job on both campuses and there is plenty to do around each campus.

The admission process is based on your SAT/ACT scores, Common App essay, and recommendations. About 93% of students receive financial aid at Fordham. There are a plethora of scholarships that the school offers as well.

very helpful, individual academic advising
core requirements include philosophy and theology classes
professors are very helpful and always available
grading is fair
workload is not little, but life-work-balance is definitely possible

good facilities,
food on campus is expensive,
campus is very safe,

Core classes take a while to complete, as there are many of them (I believe it's something like 22 for the current freshman class), but overall, the core provides grounding in many topics and the knowledge needed to excel in the integration of many different subjects into a single instance. Advisors are assigned based on the EP classes chosen by the freshmen as they first register for classes, which is great because all your fellow classmates then live on the same floor, participate in that same class, and have the same advisor. It's great for bonding. With a relatively small staff (under 175) and an average class size of 22, Fordham's faculty has a lot of opportunity to interact with students in the classroom and as such, students who distinguish themselves get recommended or picked for different research projects and opportunities that the profs know.

The residence hall is fantastic: all suite style dorming with full kitchen and private bathrooms, three free laundry rooms, study lounges, an RA on each floor to care for students and enforce the rules, and a dedicated ResLife staff. The cost of living is higher than other schools, being as Fordham College Lincoln Center is in the middle of NYC, but there are always free events going on. The important thing is learning how to work the system to find as many of them as possible. Being that it IS in the middle of the city, FCLC has limited campus space, about two blocks square. A new dorm building/law school is in construction though, which should create a lot more space for the students. The upper West Side neighborhood is pretty nice, right by Columbus Circle and Central Park, and is in on of the safest precincts in NYC.

Fordham has the option of the Common App. There are not interviews, but all of the admissions pieces (essays, extracurriculars, grades, volunteer work, etc) submitted are looked at during the process. A lot of students do get some form of financial aid based on their FAFSAs, as well as receiving merit based rewards, such as the Presidential Scholars Award and the Dean's Scholars Award.

Common application

Professors expect a lot out of students and there is a lot of work that goes into each class. Students are required to put in many hours of study outside of the class room in order to excel.

I filled out the common application online with the Fordham supplement which included extra essay questions. I was able to apply early action and was notified of my acceptance in December. Then my family and I had to fill out the FAFSA and College Board Profile for financial aid, which I was then eligible for in April.

Fordham has a large core which has recently change. Basically students have to take classes in history, philosophy, science, theology, English, math, social science and foreign language in Fordham College Rose Hill. The business school requirements are slightly different. Students in Fordham College Rose Hill spend usually the first two years completing the core. Although this might seem daunting at first, I think the core allows students to explore many different subjects before settling on a major. Also, Fordham is great about accepting AP credits, which allowed me to get out of some Core classes and has given me the opportunity to double major. The class sizes at Fordham are extremely small. I only had one class with over 50 students in my entire time at Fordham. Last semester I had two classes capped at 18 students. Even the introductory classes are small. Majority of my professors know me and are always willing to meet with students. Professors will try to work with students to find the best time to meet with them. The workload is manageable. Many students study abroad in their junior year or sophomore year if you are in the business school.

The library is beautiful and a really nice place to work. Fordham has a variety of housing. Some dorms are great and brand new. (Fordham just built brand new apartment style dorms for upperclassmen which are wonderful!) However, some of the dorms are older, but they are constantly trying to improve them. The Rose Hill campus is gorgeous, an oasis in the city. The food on campus is ok, but the food off-campus is amazing. The Rose Hill campus is in the Bronx near Arthur Ave (the Little Italy of the Bronx) which has amazing Italian food! Although the Bronx gets a bad reputation in the media, I love the Bronx and think it is a great place to live. There are so many wonderful things near campus, the Botanical Gardens, the Bronx Zoo and Edgar Allen Poe's house just to name a few. It is a city, so you need to be careful walking around late at night. On campus is very safe.

When I applied to Fordham I used the common application. There are no interviews. I applied early action. I receive a scholarship based on my academic achievement in high school and my SAT scores.