2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Small classes. Knowledgeable faculty. Challenging. Inspiring. Great General Education curriculum. Life-long accessibility to Career Services. Good connection with industry. Good external programs.

Great area. No complaints.

Auditions and required additional materials have a heavy impact on admittance in addition to the Common App.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There are gen ed classes that are required to fill your perspectives. You have a lot of freedom to choose within the gen ed subject.

Emerson requires regular essays (via Common App) and also expects you to be creative beyond belief. They have short-answer questions that will allow students to do this. They have an extra essay for students interested in the honors college. For actors/performers, I believe they have intense auditions. For filmmakers/screenwriters, they have a lengthy portfolio requirement.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

All of my classes were relatively small and the professors were always available. That is why I chose Emerson. I also was able to start taking my major degree requirements Freshman year. My major classes especially my capstone class was an amazing experience and that what you were learning the classroom you could apply to your co-curricular activities outside the classroom. This allowed me to be competitive when looking for a job.

Emerson is in a great area of Boston with plenty of places to go out to and all of the Emerson buildings are in a one area. I thought the cost of living was high but our facilities are some of the best in the country.

There was a unique application with a short answer and essay question plus I did apply and got in early decision. There were scholarships but the admission officers selected those candidates but you could apply for the honors program.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The core classes are similar to what other schools offer, but with an "Emerson" twist, such as the science requirement being filled by classes like "Science and Society" and others like that. The Los Angeles program was also a highlight of my time at Emerson, it allowed me to really get a taste of Hollywood while interning at a great radio station.

At the time Emerson did not offer the Common Application so I participated in a traditional application process. Unfortunately, I don't remember the specifics of the application (essay or interesting questions). I did participate in a campus tour and info session before applying and attended the accepted student's day event.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There were great abroad opportunities and amazing faculty. The core classes were ok - but it's in the specialized classes for your individual major that stand out at Emerson. The major specific classes are taught by leaders in their respective field. The faculty was knowledgable and personable. The academic Advisers were never really an issue. I don't really even remember consulting them. Class size is great. Biggest class was about 50 people. Professors were very accessible.

Housing was amazing. Emerson is situated across the street from Boston Common. You can't get a better location in Boston. Cost of Living was moderate (as with any city). Facilities are top of the line, library is great, neighborhood is up-and-coming. Overall happiness was exceptional.

The application seemed pretty long compared to other colleges. I know that they changed the application process to the Common Application, so it is different now.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

A liberal arts core requirement makes up about 30% of a student's coursework. Students are able to take classes in their major first semester freshmen year which is a hallmark of studies at Emerson. Classes are generally small, with a student to faculty ratio of 14:1 and an average class size of about 24 students. Students are automatically assigned an advisor through the Advising Office in their first semester and are required to meet with their advisor each semester. Staring junior year, students work with a faculty advisor in their major department.

Boston is an expensive city for sure. Housing is centrally located, modern, and comfortable for students. Several dining options here, both on campus and in the city. Overall, students are involved and engaged at Emerson and in the Boston community.

Emerson is now a Common Application School, but wasn't at the time when I attended. Emerson has an Early Action (non-binding) application process as well as a Regular Action Process. Since switching to the Common Application, Emerson has become increasingly more selective, with an acceptance rate teetering around 42%.