Duke University

4.7 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 8 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

For Better Or For Worse
January 2015 | Current Student

You will be challenged here, academically and socially. For better or worse, the negatives of the school (importance of Greek life, effortless perfection, hook-up culture, etc.) will only make you a stronger person. On the academic side, upper level classes are small and discussion is encouraged. If you make the effort, you will get to know professors who are the leaders in their field of thought.

Durham is not quite a college city, but it is getting there. It can feel small sometimes, but upperclassmen usually manage to find time to explore, while freshman/sophomores are still entrenched in the university culture.

Comments

I recommend coming in with all the confidence you had in high school, developing some humility along the way, but never losing that confidence. Many students lose self-esteem being surrounded by individuals who are as good or better than they are, and it can take a real hit on self-confidence, especially as these students are coming out of high school as the best of the best.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

common app plus supplemental essays; reg decision and ed

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

flexible core classes/degree requirements. small classes. very accessible professors and independent research encouraged

common application with unique application questions

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I am in the pratt school of engineering which has many requirements for our majors but reasonable class sizes.

I applied early decision. The Ed rate is about 30% while regular is about 10%.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Pratt School of Engineering accepts all AP credit. Engineering curriculum doesn't compromise liberal arts opportunities.

Quintessential college campus - everything you'll ever need is on campus. Can be a bit of a bubble. Going out into Durham/Chapel Hill for a break from campus life is really easy.

Merit-based scholarships available... fairly unique to Duke among top-tier schools.

Different essay for Pratt vs. Trinity

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

small class size, great professors, many research opportunities (even for freshmen), difficult classes but very engaging

common app with supplement

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Campus is great, but Durham's a little unsafe at night. On campus housing for freshmen and sophomores, campus apartments for upperclassmen. Variety of dining places. Plenty of community volunteering opportunities. Overall, I'm very happy with Duke.

Unique application questions, optional interview with alumni, early decision and regular decision, common application, financial aid.