Dartmouth College

4.8 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (10 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

We have distribution requirements in various areas of academics. Average class size: 23 students. We are paired with an academic advisor based on academic interests. After 5 terms of residence, we choose our own faculty advisory for our major. Professors and administration all have open office hours. There are a variety of research opportunities on campus through professors and student groups. We have a high degree of academic caliber expected on campus, but I wouldn't say the actual environment is too competitive. We want to do well, but, at least for me, for my own's sake. I don't compare myself with other students but try to be at the least average. Grading is different depending on your classes with each professor expecting something different. Classes are very difficult, and the average of three classes a term is definitely enough work. We have foreign study abroads, language study abroads, and exchange programs with the opportunity of studying abroad up to three times. These programs are very accessible; you just have to seek them out yourself.

I love my housing, and I have a great roommate. The cost of living in general on campus is high here. I love the campus. It's intimate, and, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful college campuses where it feels like you're getting the quintessential college experience. Dining plans are changing for next year, and I'm not too happy with the new plans. They haven't been set in stone, so we'll see how that goes in the future. I feel very safe here. Crime isn't nonexistent, but it feels like it is for the most part. Overall, I'm content and glad I chose to come here. Work can be stressful though.

Comments

I filled out the Common App and had to have a peer recommendation. I partook in an interview in my hometown. I was a regular decision student.

Date: 2011

no core classes, but required distributives--we're a liberal arts school. Profes really accessible, class sizes tend to be small.

Comments

Friend writres a rec letter, Common App.

Date: 2011

There is no Core, but there are several distribution requirements. Accessibility is fantastic- professors truly care about students here.

Comments

Common App, Applied Regular Decision, Received a peer recommendation (as Dartmouth requires one)

Date: 2011

Filling distribution requirements is easy and usually fun. Classes are small and you get a lot of personal time with the profs as well as knowledgeable upperclassmen. We have one of the highest rates of studying abroad because it's so easy to do and it's just for one quarter (a 10 week period), so about the perfect amount of time.

The housing is great. The campus is lively, energetic, and there's just a general feeling of happiness. It's hard not to have a good time when everyone else is. It's ridiculously safe and we've got a great relationship with Hanover. The library is massive (and there are 7 of them), but finding the right book usually isn't too much of a hassle. Obviously it comes at a steep price, but financial aid is very good.

Comments

There's a peer essay that is fairly unique (if not entirely so). The financial aid is great. There is an excess of funding to study abroad, do research (both domestic and abroad), and the opportunities presented to undergrads are unparalleled.

Date: 2011

There is no core curriculum at Dartmouth; we use a distributive requirement system, where students fulfill about a dozen requirements in different broad, thematic areas. Every student must complete a major in order to graduate, though students may have up to 3 majors and minors. The average class size is 23, and all first-year students are guaranteed at least two small seminar-style classes with their introductory writing course and first-year seminar. All courses are taught by professors, though some have undergraduate or graduate teaching assistants who may hold additional office hours, study sessions, or lab sections. All professors have office hours and most are willing to bend over backwards to meet students' needs. As Dartmouth is an undergraduate-focused institution, there are incredible research opportunities available to students. Students can get involved in research in a truly meaningful way from their very first year on campus, and it is possible to do research work as a volunteer or paid research assistant or for academic credit.

The Dartmouth campus is absolutely beautiful. When President Eisenhower visited, he said "This is what a college campus should look like". Housing at Dartmouth is generally quite good. There are a few old dorms on campus, but many of those have been renovated recently, and many of the dorms are quite new. First-year students are required to live on campus, and they will live on dorm floors (and likely in buildings and building clusters) that are only for first-years. The library system at Dartmouth is excellent; there are incredible resources, and there are also many different types of study spaces within the libraries. The campus is very safe, and there is very little crime. The town-gown relations are quite good, as well.

Comments

Dartmouth College has two admissions cycles: binding early decision (due in November, decisions in December) and regular decision (due in January, decisions in April). Applicants submit the Common Application with two supplements: one basic information form and one peer recommendation. Interviews are conducted by local alumni, though these interviews are assigned at random and not every applicant will have the opportunity to interview.

Date: 2011

Distributive Requirement - ten categories of types of classes such as social science, theory, science, science with a lab, quantitative and deductive studies, etc. Required writing classes freshman year depending on performances on verbal section of SAT. Required major, but most students also minor or double major, can also triple major, double minor, modify a major (combine two departments), or create your own major. All professors are required to have office hours but are available to meet with students at any other time. Research: we have all the funding/research opportunities that comes with being a university, but because the graduate schools are so small all those resources get funneled to undergraduates. Laid back environment, so not very competitive, more personally competitive with ourselves than with other students in the class. Accurate grading. INCREDIBLE study abroad - a program for almost every single academic department.

Most students live on campus in dorm clusters. Centralized dining (one main dining hall), with dining halls also found in the student center, library, arts center and business school. Seven libraries with one central library. We are an insanely tight-knit community, students leave their computers and textbooks in the library for hours, no one locks their doors, etc. Very close with the town of Hanover. A lot of tradition and high alumni involvement. Safest town in NH which is the safest state in the nation - so basically the safest college down in the country!

Comments

Holistic application process where everything is taken into account equally with no minimum GPA or SAT/SAT II scores. Every app is read by at least two admissions officers. Dean of Admissions read the app of every student who will be accepted. Required peer recommendation that most schools do not have. Alumni interviews not required because they are not guaranteed but can make a difference. Binding early decision and regular decision. Need-blind for US citizens and international students.

Date: 2010

Dartmouth runs on a quarter system with 10 week terms and has a unique academic calendar called the D-plan. The standard course load is three courses per term, and each class meets 2-4 times per week. All Dartmouth courses are taught by professors. Professors are required to hold office hours, and are incredibly accessible to students. Opportunities to engage in research projects with faculty are available as early as freshman year, and students are encouraged to get involved with professors' research. Offering over 45 Dartmouth-led off campus programs, Dartmouth's study abroad program is one of its greatest academic strengths. 61% of Dartmouth students study abroad at least once, the highest rate in the Ivy League.

Dartmouth students are among the happiest in the country. Hanover, NH is incredibly safe, located in a picturesque New England town. Students don't have many complaints about the housing, and construction of new dorm clusters has further improved dorm quality. There is a real sense of community at Dartmouth, since the College is somewhat isolated geographically. Luckily, the College realizes this, and brings a wealth of opportunities and resources to students to compensate for its remote location.

Comments

Dartmouth accepts early, regular, and transfer applications. Dartmouth uses the Common Application and the application includes a supplemental peer recommendation. After a student has applied to Dartmouth, they may be offered an opportunity to talk with an a member of Dartmouth's alumni body who lives in their local community. Dartmouth admits all students, including international and transfer applicants, through a need-blind selection process and meets enrolling students' full demonstrated financial need.

Date: 2010

Students are required to complete general education requirements. This includes art, western, non-western, etc...The requirements are so broad that a student does not necessarily have to take an art class to fulfill the requirement, but instead could take for example, an art history class. We have great study abroad opportunities (more than half of the student body studies abroad at least once). The class sizes are relatively small (most are 35 and under) so it is very easy to develop a relationship with professors. Dartmouth really has an undergraduate focus, so everything is essentially about the undergraduates. This makes it very easy to get research experience.

The quality of life is great. I have never had a problem finding housing or with the cost. The library and other facilities are very accessible. The crime rate is very low, if there is any at all. It is really a community feeling on campus.

Comments

Every applicant is required to submit the Common Application plus a peer recommendation letter. We are also a need based, need-blind school which means the applicants ability to pay is not considered in the reading process and we give aid based upon the student's demonstrated need. We do give applicants a chance to interview with alums if possible.

Date: 2010

There are distributive requirements which are general academic categories that can be fulfilled through different departments. For example, the "math requirement" is called QDS or quantative and deductive science. This can be fulfilled through the math department or through the linguistics department. Degree requirements differ for each major but they are usually 10-14 classes. Most students take 3 classes a term. Class size varies from 8 to 100+ however there are only 11 classes at Dartmouth with over 100 people in them. Most of the classes are very small. Professors are extremely accessible and students can be involved in research as early as their first term.

The facilities are incredible. Most dorms are new, are being renovated, or are old but quaint. The food is ranked top ten for college food and the campus is extremely safe. Students are very happy.

Comments

Dartmouth asks for the Common Application. They also require teacher recommendations, counselor recommendations, and a transcript. One of the more unique aspects of the Dartmouth application is the Peer Recommendation supplement which allows applicants to send in a recommendation from one of his or her contemporaries so that the school can get an accurate picture of what the student is like.

Date: 2010

In order to graduate, students must complete a major, a first year writing course, a first-year seminar, a foreign language requirement, and a number of distributive requirements. These distributive requirements include courses the following areas: Art, Literature,Systems and Traditions of Thought, Meaning and Value, International or Comparative Studies, Social Analysis (2), Quantitative and Deductive Reasoning, Natural and Physical Science (2), and Technology or Applied Science. It is not very hard to fulfill these courses during one's time at Dartmouth. Class sizes are decent. Most courses will have between 10-30 students except for some of your bigger entry level science courses. All classes are taught by professors and professors are very accessible outside of class. All professors are required to have office hours every week. These are scheduled times when they will be in their offices and available to talk to students. As early as freshmen year, students have access to research opportunities with professors. Study Abroad is very easy to do at Dartmouth. At least 60% of Dartmouth students study abroad at least once during there time here. Dartmouth offers 45 study-abroad programs and students can complete up to three of them during there Dartmouth career.

Housing at Dartmouth is really nice ans as a student you don't really have to pay for many things off campus. The library's are great and you can generally find some place to study. As a person from a big city, I must admit that Hanover, NH is one of the safest places I've ever been in my whole entire life. I am a female student and I often walk around campus alone, late at night, without any problems. Hanover, NH is not a very diverse place racially, class-wise, etc. but Dartmouth's campus is.

Comments

Dartmouth College uses the Common Application for college admissions. In addition to the common application, students have to submit a personal information supplement and a peer evaluation. Students can apply for early decision or regular decision admissions. Dartmouth does conduct alumni interviews but they are not a required part of the application process and not all students will have a chance to have one (access to interviews depends on the number of available alumni in the given area). In terms of financial aid, Dartmouth has a need-blind admissions process for all students. The school does not give out merit or athletic scholarships and financial aid is based solely on need. Dartmouth aims to meet 100% of a student's demonstrated need when making decisions about financial aid.